U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
100% agree that Internet access should be classified as a utility and I am pro net neutrality, but I'm not getting my hopes up. What does one expect when the pres appoints a former cable industry lobbyist as head of the FCC? The hell was he thinking?!

Interestingly, AOL itself is pro net neutrality.
Campaign contributions aka bribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,073,320 times
Net neutrality is really becoming a false perception today. I've quite searching for local business, and gone back to the phone, because you can pay to have your crap pop up under certain search conditions. IE: if I were to type plumber in Reno, NV I would get everything but a plumber in Reno. Want to watch a video, or read an article an advertisement first has to be watched prior to getting to the subject matter.

Anytime Wall Street takes over anything the quality suffers, and neutrality disappears. Mom and Pop grocery is now low wage Walmart. The local building supply is now corporate owned. Remember mom and pop video stores? Buying a TV at a store that was owned buy a guy who lived in town?

Okay, so let's change this ideal to keeping it as open as possible with new innovation that doesn't get sold out to the highest bidder.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 980,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
That's not too far fetched. You didn't have to be rich but you certainly needed some disposable income. Aside from the cost of getting on the internet you also needed to buy a computer...which back in the 90s could cost you significant $$$
Exactly! This thread is giving me nostalgia from my college days. I did not have the luxury of having a computer in college 94-99. But the girl that lived in the duplex next door had one with internet in 1997 and I remember me my 2 roommates and her 2 roommates having to wait to check our emails and get online rather than going to the school internet lab. At my college only the rich kids had a personal computer and the rest of us just went to the internet lab. Even post college I had slow dial up until 2002.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Net neutrality is really becoming a false perception today.
Not by a long shot.

Back in the day's of AOL the only way you could find anything was if AOL had made them members of AOL's network. Which was precisely why I went through the hassle of learning how to install freaking trumpet winsocket, using Gopher to find netscape... just so I could be free of freaking AOL and discover what was going on outside of their control. It was liberating.

I don't want to go back to those days for one second.

Quote:
I've quite searching for local business, and gone back to the phone, because you can pay to have your crap pop up under certain search conditions.
Nothing personal but you need to work on your search skills. Just to prove the point, I searched for plumbers in my township. The first three results were clearly labeled as ads and after that the result gave me 10 different shops plus map pins locating them. Sorry but I use Google Chrome and wouldn't be caught dead using IE.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,073,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not by a long shot.

Back in the day's of AOL the only way you could find anything was if AOL had made them members of AOL's network. Which was precisely why I went through the hassle of learning how to install freaking trumpet winsocket, using Gopher to find netscape... just so I could be free of freaking AOL and discover what was going on outside of their control. It was liberating.

I don't want to go back to those days for one second.

Nothing personal but you need to work on your search skills. Just to prove the point, I searched for plumbers in my township. The first three results were clearly labeled as ads and after that the result gave me 10 different shops plus map pins locating them. Sorry but I use Google Chrome and wouldn't be caught dead using IE.
I never said I wanted to go back to AOL, or before html. I also am not a Google fan, or Chrome, and when I search Yahoo all I get are agencies that will refer me to a plumber, and not the plumber himself. My point was that the net has sold out vs what we had as little as 10 years ago.

AOL was a BBS that created it's own browser towards it end in history. I don't even know if they're in business any longer, and if so don't know how they make money. I use what I use as I wish and don't really care if your dead? Again, my point is the good ole days of easily finding stuff without being barraged with bs are over, so net neutrality is a simple perception, because Wall Street can make money. Read Flash Boys if you actually believe in neutrality. The concept remains, but is changing. Remember when youtube would play video's without ads?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,361,414 times
Youtube will still play without ads, install ad block plus.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
We had a lot of fun evenings in one of the chat rooms on aol, a bunch of friends who lived across the country would meet in that particular room and visit once a week.
As far as trolling or trying to find a date that didn't happen with us because we were just there visiting with friends.
I guess it is different for everyone who used it. I did find the game Slingo on aol though and I still love that game.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:43 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,081,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that everyone can understand the importance of net neutrality unless you don't remember how the much the internet sucked when the choices were Prodigy and AOL. The internet should be regulated as a utility. If you are really for a free market then I don't understand how you can oppose neutrality.

So if you support net neutrality, now it is time to let the powers that be know it.

https://www.aclu.org/secure/stand-ac..._p_37839962302

MoveOn Petitions

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...riers/5CWS1M4P
A/S/L plz LOL1!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We had a lot of fun evenings in one of the chat rooms on aol, a bunch of friends who lived across the country would meet in that particular room and visit once a week.
As far as trolling or trying to find a date that didn't happen with us because we were just there visiting with friends.
I guess it is different for everyone who used it. I did find the game Slingo on aol though and I still love that game.
I still play Slingo probably a dozen times a week.

And I still have an AOL email. Same one I've had since 1998 when I paid over $1500 for my first pizzy little computer, a Compaq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events