U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,286,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
I know. Just pointing out that your experiences seem to be the norm, which is really sad. If this country would see that black children are children - just like white children - it would change a lot. White children do dumb stuff, it's youth. Black children do dumb stuff, it's crime - even if it's the same dumb stuff.
This thread is about one incident that happens to involve a black student pushing down an elderly white substitute teacher. Should it be overlooked because he is black? No, he should be treated like anyone else who commits assault. His color is irrelevant. If he were white, he should be treated the same. It is about assaulting someone; it is not about race. The race card does not need to constantly be thrown into every discussion by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM

103 posts, read 103,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
His color is irrelevant. If he were white, he should be treated the same.
Georgianbelle, even you don't believe what you typed. What made you think I would? Talk about a waste of keystrokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is not to excuse this particular person's behavior. Assaulting a teacher a horrible thing to do, much less an elderly woman. He deserves to be punished for what he did. You do the crime, you do the time. That being said, it leaves me with much to wonder.
My guess is that many people believe that even the most wayward of white youth have a future while black youth have none. Why worry about whether the actual punishment is going to do any good?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe there is something to consider. I am a Black male, and I am basically a suburban kid. Sometimes it can depend on the kind of teacher you get. I knew a few White female teachers who basically scared some students. It was mainly teachers in their 50s who seemed to convey a certain amount of authority or women who came off as mean or who had some size on them.

In my experience, from kindergarten to 12th grade, from having gone to school in the suburbs of Seattle to the suburbs of Atlanta, I remember having maybe 5 Black teachers during that whole stretch(4 of them in the Atlanta area). I remember being in 5th grade, I had 5 teachers. The two everyone seemed afraid of the most were: a Black woman who yelled alot, and a 50 year-old White woman.

The middle school I went to, I saw a bit of this rambunctiousness being tolerated, but never noticed it until much later. Maybe it came from being scared of adults in general, but I never would think to try anything with a teacher. I figured she/he could just get me in all kinds of trouble. I was also nerdy, so it was the furthest thing from my mind. However, I have seen many White kids try to pull stuff on White teachers, specifically the ones who looked quite young or had that "meek" appearance to them.

I will mention this. The principal at my middle school would, on some occasions, punish Black students much harder than the White students for the same incidents. Oddly enough, when I landed in "In School Suspension", I was basically the one Black kid there. One thing I noticed is that these were kids who were known for chronic behavior issues. When it came to me getting assaulted while on crutches, the principal didn't do much about it. Ironically, another principal would replace her the following school year.

In 7th grade, my homeroom teacher was Black. She was young and a rookie. Some of the White kids would try stuff, to test her. Some did, but she was known for nipping it in the bud quickly. In my homeroom, I was one of about 2 Blacks students. Neither me or the other Black kid tried anything. The only time I ever saw other Black kids try stupid stuff(or ever heard of other Black kids trying stupid stuff) is when they all together in sizable numbers, and I saw this mainly in high school.

I had a teacher just like your middle school principal. It was AP World History and I remember her making me leave the classroom on several occasions for essentially nothing. White (women) that have had little interaction with blacks or black children exhibit this behavior quite often. The issue is that there are far more of them teaching in our classrooms than just about any other demographic. It leads to lots of misunderstandings, demerits and trips to In School Suspension (I think we called it "AEP"). White kids that exhibit the same behavior receive a side-eye glance and numerous soft warnings.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here is what i saw.
what i saw was a classroom of people--- one very large-- who was shoving and knocking down an old female teacher and the class was laughing and talking loudly. I did not see anyone attempt to stop the attack.
I imagine that 95% of all teenagers wouldn't dare jump in front of a '6-4" 325 lb classmate. The remaining 5% are either crazy, martial artists/wrestlers or members of the football team.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Some here make it their mission to search the internet for black on white crime and run to post it on this forum that will attract the usual keyboard bigots blaming the President, Jesse or Al and/or getting their subtle racial digs in against black people.
Of course you can't point this out....lest you pull the race card.

Race shaming has been in fashion since 2000 or so. It's a convenient way for racists to justify their prejudice by pulling random articles and clips as proof of their beliefs.

Basically, if a black person is a victim...it's their fault and they should have known better.

If a white person is a victim (of a black person's crime)..."those n****** are animals and should be thankful for all the wonderful things we've done for them"

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Georgianbelle, even you don't believe what you typed. What made you think I would? Talk about a waste of keystrokes.

My guess is that many people believe that even the most wayward of white youth have a future while black youth have none. Why worry about whether the actual punishment is going to do any good?
Frankly I don't expect certain white people that are racist (that don't believe they're racist) to have the best interests of black youth in mind.

Honestly as a black person, we don't generally have sympathy for white kids that screw up...though the justice system surely does. We do tend to have more compassion for our own because we know that no one else will...especially the justice system.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,209,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I had a teacher just like your middle school principal. It was AP World History and I remember her making me leave the classroom on several occasions for essentially nothing. White (women) that have had little interaction with blacks or black children exhibit this behavior quite often. The issue is that there are far more of them teaching in our classrooms than just about any other demographic. It leads to lots of misunderstandings, demerits and trips to In School Suspension (I think we called it "AEP"). White kids that exhibit the same behavior receive a side-eye glance and numerous soft warnings.
So knowing that the playing field isn't level....students should act accordingly!

He was out of line, period. Nothing to do with race - everything to do with class. People are failing to realize that the public school system as a whole is flawed. Students in affluent areas are primed at a early age to focus on grades, exams and are given the best to succeed. That is the problem. I grew up in Boston during the busing/segregation era in the 70's. I was lucky enough to be chosen, yes CHOSEN to be one of a select minority students to get an education in the suburbs. Only Black student in my classes all throughout my school years. Things haven't changed - in fact, they are worse!

It's not about Blacks versus Whites but about low class Americans not getting an equal education.

I see news stories like this one all the time here in Baltimore City so much I am practically numb. What the news reporters fail to mention is that Baltimore City schools have inadequate or no heating in the winter and no A/C in the spring and summer. There are no supplies and the teachers are not given support by the Administration. When the system fails to provide the same quality education from Pre-K on up, what do you expect when they reach high school? The same foolishness that happened in this video!

I read a comment on here about keeping animals (referring to this student) in cages.....interesting POV, to say the least. Guess what? You treat people like they are inferior throughout their lives and this is exactly what you should expect.

There may not be much we can do for this current generation. I don't even want to go off about how many students are being pushed through because of that "No Child Left Behind" foolishness! What I will say, is until poor children are given the same opportunities as rich ones, we will see more of this madness.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,812,151 times
Being from Houston myself I can tell you Nimitz = thugs.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM

11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello
that nasty c*unt was most likely asking for it....
I agree. She was probably being too hard on them and got what she deserved. How dare this do-gooder woman try to take his cell phone! This kid has to deal with society and now her? The student is the real victim here.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
During the 60th anniversary of Brown no less.
That thug's behavior is more typical of an individual who was probably raised the wrong way, probably has no idea what Brown v Board of Education is, and most likely does not care about school. Same thing with some White kids I knew who did all kinds of stupid stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or