U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:19 PM

44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, you need to make peace with that.
It isn't about whether or not we know this. It is about the fact that it brings out the hateful and bigoted persons. It is about the persons who use such statistics to say things like "see, Black people are criminally inclined, so they deserve to be treated like crap". That is the problem. The voices of those who are actually interested in solving problems, in making things better, are drowned out by those whose only interest is to justify their hatred towards Blacks. If that is the only reason for discussing crimes committed by Black criminals.

No one is going to make peace with that for a reason. People like me are going to be associated with criminals who happen to be Black. It's called guilt by association. And while we're on it, something you need to consider. You are Black. You might be of a different ethnicity than Black Americans, but you are still Black. And if you look Black, you are going to be treated as such. No, it does not refute anything you've said about crime. I'm not trying to refute anything. I'm trying to get you to answer this question. Based on what I hear, it appears that you seem to understand some non-Black people being wary of Black people and treating them unfairly. Considering that you are Black, are you willing to go through that treatment yourself?

I asked the question because this is my perspective. I know what the statistics say about crime and Black Americans. I don't consider it a reason to treat Black individuals poorly. I am not going to be understanding of someone who "fears Black people" or "treats Blacks poorly". I'm not going to understand because I'm a Black man and it affects me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,217,860 times
Well,forgeting the racial comments for a minute,there are some other disturbing comments that i see:

What does it matter that the kid is bigger than the other students?

Should he face more time because he was bigger?

Why does it matter that he was bigger and she was elderly?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM

33,050 posts, read 12,514,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This thread is about one incident that happens to involve a black student pushing down an elderly white substitute teacher. Should it be overlooked because he is black? No, he should be treated like anyone else who commits assault. His color is irrelevant. If he were white, he should be treated the same. It is about assaulting someone; it is not about race. The race card does not need to constantly be thrown into every discussion by anyone.
Of course, it makes no difference to the 66 y/o teacher whether she was assaulted by a black student or a white one.

However, several short videos of black students fighting or attacking teachers have made the rounds lately. Are there videos of white students attacking one another and their teachers but they just aren't making the rounds?

Recently, have read several reports about how black students are suspended at a much higher rate than other students starting in kindergarten. Some believe this is because teachers come down harder on black students. Others believe it is because black students are rowdier.

Beyonce's sister attacks Beyonce's husband in an elevator. Families have disagreements. Chris Brown assaults Rihanna and she's dating him before long. Are there similar incidents with white movie stars and singers that we just don't hear about? The only one that comes to mind is Elin Nordegren attacking Tiger Woods' car with a golf club. Are there others?

It is one of those moments in time when this is part of the national conversation.

What I find astounding is that these assaults are going on in public schools. How much learning can go in such an environment and what can be done to get things back on track?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-21-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 4,288,335 times
[quote=ridethemaverick;34886431]Georgianbelle, even you don't believe what you typed. What made you think I would? Talk about a waste of keystrokes.

You have no idea what I believe. This is not a black/white incident. Why do you and others keep trying to make it one? No one gets a free pass for criminal behavior.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM

33,050 posts, read 12,514,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,forgeting the racial comments for a minute,there are some other disturbing comments that i see:

What does it matter that the kid is bigger than the other students?

Should he face more time because he was bigger?

Why does it matter that he was bigger and she was elderly?

Don't know about the first two, but the fact that she was elderly jumps out at me. Whether she was a teacher or not, I'm appalled about at an older person being knocked to the ground.

Three young men beat and killed an elderly man in our town over his wallet. It still leaves me wondering what the world is coming to.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-21-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM

8,133 posts, read 5,702,064 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA
Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, you need to make peace with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
You can keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
There's no "feel" about it; it's simply a matter of statistics.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM

48,920 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It isn't about whether or not we know this. It is about the fact that it brings out the hateful and bigoted persons. It is about the persons who use such statistics to say things like "see, Black people are criminally inclined, so they deserve to be treated like crap". That is the problem. The voices of those who are actually interested in solving problems, in making things better, are drowned out by those whose only interest is to justify their hatred towards Blacks. If that is the only reason for discussing crimes committed by Black criminals.

No one is going to make peace with that for a reason. People like me are going to be associated with criminals who happen to be Black. It's called guilt by association. And while we're on it, something you need to consider. You are Black. You might be of a different ethnicity than Black Americans, but you are still Black. And if you look Black, you are going to be treated as such. No, it does not refute anything you've said about crime. I'm not trying to refute anything. I'm trying to get you to answer this question. Based on what I hear, it appears that you seem to understand some non-Black people being wary of Black people and treating them unfairly. Considering that you are Black, are you willing to go through that treatment yourself?

I asked the question because this is my perspective. I know what the statistics say about crime and Black Americans. I don't consider it a reason to treat Black individuals poorly. I am not going to be understanding of someone who "fears Black people" or "treats Blacks poorly". I'm not going to understand because I'm a Black man and it affects me.
I've repeatedly pointed out to that poster and others here that STATISTICALLY once you adjust for poverty....all the claims of racial links to violence and crime disappear. However, they refuse to learn, they just keep repeating the same ridiculous garbage.

Basically, those claims are about as smart as saying you are going to carry your umbrella because you want it to rain and statistics link umbrella carrying to rainy days.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM

48,920 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
[/i]

What's your education background and work history with regards to statistics?

People that take only two variables like race and crime and then compare are to statistics what a road-killed possum and can of warm miller high-life are to fine dining.

#called out.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM

8,133 posts, read 5,702,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What's your education background and work history with regards to statistics?

People that take only two variables like race and crime and then compare are to statistics what a road-killed possum and can of warm miller high-life are to fine dining.

#called out.
I was "called out" by a non-sequitur analogy that did nothing to address the statistics that suggest that crime rates amongst different demographic groups are dissimilar.

I have to say, I'm not very impressed.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
[/i]

Actually, it is like I mentioned in another statistic. It isn't merely about the statistics. Everyone knows the statistics. It is the way individuals use those statistics. It is the fact that many people only bring those statistics up to justify their ill feelings towards Blacks, and to paint Blacks with the same broad stroke. If that is the only reason for bringing the stats up, then I don't want to have a discussion with such persons. One reason I would rather see someone like Bill Cosby talk about it. When he discussed it, he went after the persons who were actually contributing to the problem, not the whole Black race. He talked to the people, with advice for them. He was saying "you are hurting yourselves with your actions. you should do something more constructive instead". Same goes for Philadelphia's mayor, Michael Nutter. He went after the persons who committed the crimes. He basically said "you're embarrassing your race when you act like that". He was trying to get those individuals who were actually causing problems to get their acts together. I understand where Cosby and Nutter are coming from because they lived around rough elements. They have a stake in getting members of their own ethnicity to act right. What I see from some people, however, is none of that. I see people complaining about Blacks as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or