U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 AM
 
48,973 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Reputation: 30629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I was "called out" by a non-sequitur analogy that did nothing to address the statistics that suggest that crime rates amongst different demographic groups are dissimilar.

I have to say, I'm not very impressed.
Sweet. Link us to that statistical analysis. I want to see how they reflected variables like poverty.

Because only a complete moron with no education in statistics would take just race and crime rate and start drawing conclusions.

If you've been duped by these statistics murdering fools then this is a golden opportunity for you to learn something.

So, let's see your link to the studies.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
 
Location: In exile
534 posts, read 671,591 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Student knocks Nimitz High teacher to floor; police investigation underway | News - Home

Now does this make your blood boil or what? I'm young, but even in my day, I don't think this guy would've left that classroom without butt whipping. Notice the other kids laughing...

Does anyone else think some of these schools should be ran like military camps? Give them uniforms, structure and discipline...make them ask for so much as permission to blink.
I always thought that the one good thing the Soviet Union did was to take children from early teens till legal age, educate them and put them to work in fields during the harvest time. An R Lee Ermey summer camp from 13 years old till 18.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
 
44,662 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Reputation: 14416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sweet. Link us to that statistical analysis. I want to see how they reflected variables like poverty.

Because only a complete moron with no education in statistics would take just race and crime rate and start drawing conclusions.

If you've been duped by these statistics murdering fools then this is a golden opportunity for you to learn something.

So, let's see your link to the studies.
Or, someone who is not interested in thinking critically. When looking at the statistics, one has to consider what is driving those statistics. Yes, I know the statistics about crime. However, I also think critically, and consider other things.

1) What drives an individual to commit a crime?
2) How educated is that person?
3) What is is occupation?
4) Is he married or single?
5) How was he raised?
6) Whom was he raised by?
7) Is said person on any substance like alcohol or drugs?

Like you said in another post, if adjusted for poverty, the statistics would look different. And if adjusted for the other factors I mentioned, things would look very different.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 4,291,184 times
Reputation: 8988
What difference does it make why he did it? He did it, and there is no debate about that. If we keep looking for excuses to let people commit crimes, we will have a nation full of criminals. How about you say that I was teased constantly for being a blonde, so therefore I have anger issues? Or my parents spoiled me, so I expect things to go my way and when they don't I flip out. See? We could come up with excuses for every bad behavior if we look hard enough. Everyone that knows right from wrong should be punished when they commit a crime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM
 
44,662 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Reputation: 14416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
What difference does it make why he did it? He did it, and there is no debate about that. If we keep looking for excuses to let people commit crimes, we will have a nation full of criminals. How about you say that I was teased constantly for being a blonde, so therefore I have anger issues? Or my parents spoiled me, so I expect things to go my way and when they don't I flip out. See? We could come up with excuses for every bad behavior if we look hard enough. Everyone that knows right from wrong should be punished when they commit a crime.
Actually, I was speaking about statistics. There are those who want to say race had everything to do with why that kid did what he did, and then point out statistics. I was responding to someone, agreeing with them about looking at other factors besides race. That is why I brought up other things. I was supporting his argument.

I never once said the kid shouldn't be punished. I have even said on this thread "you do the crime, you do the time". I was not talking about whether or not someone should be punished, as that is a moot point. I was talking about statistics and about thinking critically.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 09:09 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 4,291,184 times
Reputation: 8988
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I was speaking about statistics. There are those who want to say race had everything to do with why that kid did what he did, and then point out statistics. I was responding to someone, agreeing with them about looking at other factors besides race. That is why I brought up other things. I was supporting his argument.

I never once said the kid shouldn't be punished. I have even said on this thread "you do the crime, you do the time". I was not talking about whether or not someone should be punished, as that is a moot point. I was talking about statistics and about thinking critically.
Yes, I get that, but this thread is about ONE incident. It was not about race until some posters made it so. I don't believe that race is what accounts for most crime as much as poverty levels. However, that is another topic for another thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM
 
48,973 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Reputation: 30629
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Or, someone who is not interested in thinking critically. When looking at the statistics, one has to consider what is driving those statistics. Yes, I know the statistics about crime. However, I also think critically, and consider other things.

1) What drives an individual to commit a crime?
2) How educated is that person?
3) What is is occupation?
4) Is he married or single?
5) How was he raised?
6) Whom was he raised by?
7) Is said person on any substance like alcohol or drugs?

Like you said in another post, if adjusted for poverty, the statistics would look different. And if adjusted for the other factors I mentioned, things would look very different.
It's all stats 101....you start out with lots and lots of variables like the ones on your list and the winnow out the ones that have little or no correlation to the end result.

The reason I mention poverty is because it is one of the most statistically significant factors....of course there are other factors which is the whole point.

Anybody living in a world where they see just X causing Y is not exactly a deep thinker.

People that have fallen for statistical "studies" just trying to tie race to crime etc. either disgust me for their intentional hatred or have my pity for being too gullible and uneducated to know they are being fooled.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
 
48,973 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Reputation: 30629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
What difference does it make why he did it? He did it, and there is no debate about that. If we keep looking for excuses to let people commit crimes, we will have a nation full of criminals. How about you say that I was teased constantly for being a blonde, so therefore I have anger issues? Or my parents spoiled me, so I expect things to go my way and when they don't I flip out. See? We could come up with excuses for every bad behavior if we look hard enough. Everyone that knows right from wrong should be punished when they commit a crime.
Causes <> excuses.

I don't see anyone saying this guy should get some sort of free-pass because of poverty, no father or whatnot.

Kids got some obvious problems, hopefully someone can reach him and teach him what a fool he's been and he can become a better person instead of staying on the dead-end track he's on towards jail and an early death.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
 
14,302 posts, read 7,431,767 times
Reputation: 8077
too bad there aint a way to weed out these types before they infect a classroom
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,785,690 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It would never occur to me to think white children do not cause problems. They definitely do. But, this thread is not about a white child. If it were, the comments from me would be relevant to a white child. I've had plenty of experience with both. Yes, when it's about either white or black, comments are made and they are made just as often by black people as white. Unfortunately, if a white person makes a negative comment about a black person it is labeled racist. If I don't like something the president did and say so, I'm told I'm a racist. He is the first and only president of this country who is protected by the racist drama. I didn't like plenty of Bush's actions, but no protection for him. He's out in the cold. No warm and fuzzies around. The current president is not a president I wanted and it has NOTHING to do with the color of his skin.

I taught in a white high school and I taught in a black high school. It was NOT the same. The culture is different and the behavior is different. That's just how it is. My mind operates on an equal opportunity basis. I have deep concerns for young black males because I know for many the odds are against them. I do so wish it were otherwise. If I were black I would try to make a difference. I wish many of their parents would try to make a difference.
I attended both type of schools and that's what I experienced. It is completely night and day. One school was predicated on discipline & order. The other chaos reigned. I'm just glad I went to the White school early on so I could nail down the basics.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top