U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:50 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,795,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sweet. Link us to that statistical analysis. I want to see how they reflected variables like poverty.

Because only a complete moron with no education in statistics would take just race and crime rate and start drawing conclusions.

If you've been duped by these statistics murdering fools then this is a golden opportunity for you to learn something.

So, let's see your link to the studies.
The rate of crime between the black poor and white poor still show extreme gaps. Controlling for income explains differences in crime within racial groups but not between them.

We know for example that El Paso has the highest food stamp usage rates of any big city in the country. It has been declared the safest big city 5 years running by the FBI. We know that the White underclass exists in significant numbers in Baltimore, Cincinnati and Detroit. Many are descendents from Appalachian migrants yet while we see the same negative behaviors there is still a huge gap in violent crime between Blacks and Whites.

Also finally simple math would make your claim tenuous. About 25% of the population living in poverty is Black. If according to you poverty is the main reason for violent crime than we should see Blacks committing around 25% of all violent crime. More than their overall representation in the population but in line with their share of the poor population. Yet Blacks commit about 40% of the violent crime in this country and half of the homicides. Poverty alone cannot explain the disparate rates between the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,795,372 times
Quote:
Causes <> excuses.

I don't see anyone saying this guy should get some sort of free-pass because of poverty, no father or whatnot.

Kids got some obvious problems, hopefully someone can reach him and teach him what a fool he's been and he can become a better person instead of staying on the dead-end track he's on towards jail and an early death.
Fair enough and race or cultural group is one of those factors, a significant one.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Fair enough and race or cultural group is one of those factors, a significant one.
Culture maybe, race no! Take the same kid and raise him in the Alaskan wilderness and he'd be chopping wood all Summer for grandma. Corporate merchandising, and cultural actions like, No Snitches, gang clothing line, going for a settlement as a way of life breeds this behavior. Lack of respect for women, the system in general, and the lack family structure in this culture is a major cause.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 PM

44,664 posts, read 43,196,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I attended both type of schools and that's what I experienced. It is completely night and day. One school was predicated on discipline & order. The other chaos reigned. I'm just glad I went to the White school early on so I could nail down the basics.
My own personal experience. I went to a predominantly White school. Being predominantly White didn't stop chaos from taking place. It didn't stop me from getting jumped in a classroom, or being subjected to other problems. Chaos was normal in my high school. High school graduation rate was around 60%, on par with some inner city schools.

Interesting thing to consider. We had a student body president for my freshman class. The next school year, she was kicked out of school for being intoxicated on campus. Doesn't end there. Drugs were far more rampant in my high school than I had imagined. I found out a few weeks ago one of my classmates was selling pills in school. Never knew this. Both persons were White. This isn't to say there wasn't chaos from Black students, because there was, and I sometimes got subjected to bullying, and other kinds of chaos from other Black students. However, the school being predominantly White didn't mean anything.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It's all stats 101....you start out with lots and lots of variables like the ones on your list and the winnow out the ones that have little or no correlation to the end result.

The reason I mention poverty is because it is one of the most statistically significant factors....of course there are other factors which is the whole point.

Anybody living in a world where they see just X causing Y is not exactly a deep thinker.

People that have fallen for statistical "studies" just trying to tie race to crime etc. either disgust me for their intentional hatred or have my pity for being too gullible and uneducated to know they are being fooled.
Part of how I see it is this. Alot of people are not interested in thinking critically. Yes, there is statistical evidence showing higher crime rates among the Black population. However, if one thinks critically, one starts to ask, "what other factors would contribute to such a statistic"? This is not to excuse anything, but rather, to find solutions to problems. Many people are not interested. Rather, their idea is "Blacks are criminals, avoid them all".

Old 05-25-2014, 07:31 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,686,647 times
Teachers don't get paid enough.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Teachers don't get paid enough.
Teachers have never really been paid that well, unless they become professors.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Teachers have never really been paid that well, unless they become professors.
The sad reality is the highest paid at a major college is the football coach.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,808,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The sad reality is the highest paid at a major college is the football coach.
Sports are often the top way to bring in alumni donations. It really is a sad commentary on our society.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM

103 posts, read 103,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Corporate merchandising, and cultural actions like, No Snitches, gang clothing line, going for a settlement as a way of life breeds this behavior.
I couldn't agree more. Thank goodness black people have white people to show us how concepts like "stop snitching" will NEVER take off in the white commu...

...oh.

Well, white people DEFINITELY have respect for women on lock, as we clearly s...

...hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or