U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM

8,305 posts, read 8,580,329 times

Advertisements

One of the things our school district does as a matter of policy is hire an attorney to pursue civil, not criminal remedies, against the child and his parents in a situation like this. The attorney will file a lawsuit in civil court. At this point, the parents and child have an option, they can hire an attorney--at their own expense--and fight the case or they can fail to do anything in which case the court will enter a default judgment against them.

I suppose people who have absolutely nothing aren't going to be particularly affected by such a process. However, anyone with any assets will be in a pinch. A default judgment for some thousands of dollars will destroy someone's credit if it is not paid.

The idea is to "send the message" that assaulting teachers won't be tolerated. Sometimes, a money judgment against the offender will do that more effectively than the criminal justice system will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 AM

12,043 posts, read 5,592,884 times
I would never be a teacher, never ever. I don't care if it's public or private school, suburbs or city, you could not pay me enough to be a teacher & sadly, these teachers aren't paid enough for what they put up with 5 days a week from both students AND parents. My parents would never excuse my behavior if I was an obnoxious brat, they would be the first to suggest any type of punishment, not like todays parents. And while some are probably nodding their heads & agreeing about soft parents, many of those same people are the very type of parents I'm talking about, guaranteed, lol.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM

11,356 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Absolutely. He didn't have to turn himself in.
What were his options? Make a run for it and have the police after him? He could either turn himself in or have the cops jerk him out in cuffs. Turning himself in points to good heart no more than only pushing the teacher instead of punching her.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Don't you think that violence leads to violence?
Didn't lead to violence in my case. When we were growing up we knew what the rules were. Violation of those rules in our home would have a punishment attatched and we knew what that was as well. Dicipline helps teach kids that responsible people follow the rules. I never heard of a kid acting like that to an adult when I was a kid. We respected the adults. It did not matter who they were.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM

103 posts, read 103,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What were his options? Make a run for it and have the police after him?
Yes. Happens all the time.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
people who commit crimes should have to deal with the criminal justice system, not the principals office.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Only, and only if Zimmerman kills him! Love how folks seem to throw President Obama into everything when race is a factor. Weak comment, Teddy52!
I knew there was a good reason T52 is on my ignore list.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
It's obvious the sub was racist. Fire this substitute teacher, it's not fair what happened to the poor student.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 PM

11,356 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Yes. Happens all the time.
And how do you think a 16 yr old his size would fare on the run? He probably has very little money, isn't civilized, doesn't blend in well, obviously needs to eat 4000 calories/day, etc. Going away peacefully instead of with a fight is just self preservation after the fact. Who knows if other teachers/students didn't tell him to go to the office? He sure didn't look like he was attempting to help the teacher after he violently pushed her down.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:32 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I would never be a teacher, never ever. I don't care if it's public or private school, suburbs or city, you could not pay me enough to be a teacher & sadly, these teachers aren't paid enough for what they put up with 5 days a week from both students AND parents. My parents would never excuse my behavior if I was an obnoxious brat, they would be the first to suggest any type of punishment, not like todays parents. And while some are probably nodding their heads & agreeing about soft parents, many of those same people are the very type of parents I'm talking about, guaranteed, lol.
I am going to add something that may be a very unpopular comment and viewpoint but I really think it is foolish of people to chose teaching as a career. If parents no longer teach their children respect then why should the rest of us give a damn about their children. As an adult I do not see any difference between those coming out of American public schools and feral children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or