Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,880,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think the teacher should of asked him to leave the classroom. She should not have confronted him, especially given his size, hardly the typical teenage build. If she had his cell phone she should of left the class and he would follow her out. She could of just called the main office for help and let them handle it. I think things escalated because of the other kids goading him, he felt like he had to be tough and it got out of hand. He felt he had to be a big man (no pun intended) in front of the class. If he backed down, he would of lost the "respect" of the other kids.
I think it's preposterous to put this on the teacher in any way. If the other students encouraged this in any way, they should be punished severly also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,240,006 times
here is what i saw.
what i saw was a classroom of people--- one very large-- who was shoving and knocking down an old female teacher and the class was laughing and talking loudly. I did not see anyone attempt to stop the attack.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,139,521 times
Default Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I think it's preposterous to put this on the teacher in any way. If the other students encouraged this in any way, they should be punished severly also.
I didn't "put this" on the teacher. I didn't say it's her fault. I was just saying that the student was posturing and the class was there to apply pressure on the situation. Things maybe wouldn't of escalated to a physical confrontation if both the teacher and student left the class. I mean look at the size of this person?!?!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 PM

103 posts, read 134,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will mention this. The principal at my middle school would, on some occasions, punish Black students much harder than the White students for the same incidents.
That's education, period. Research is thick enough to rival the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:22 PM

72,858 posts, read 62,340,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
That's education, period. Research is thick enough to rival the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Never said it wasn't. I was giving my experiences.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,880,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I didn't "put this" on the teacher. I didn't say it's her fault. I was just saying that the student was posturing and the class was there to apply pressure on the situation. Things maybe wouldn't of escalated to a physical confrontation if both the teacher and student left the class. I mean look at the size of this person?!?!
Did you not see her trying to walk away from the student?

One of the onlooking students confirms this starting at 1:04 on this video: Teen student shoves 66-year-old Texas teacher to ground | KXAN.com

Regardless, it's a shame when a retired teacher has to try and run away from the students. If something went down after she runs away, they'd probably fire her for abandoning the classroom.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 PM

103 posts, read 134,448 times
Quote:
Never said it wasn't. I was giving my experiences.
I know. Just pointing out that your experiences seem to be the norm, which is really sad. If this country would see that black children are children - just like white children - it would change a lot. White children do dumb stuff, it's youth. Black children do dumb stuff, it's crime - even if it's the same dumb stuff.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,139,521 times
Default Teacher Turned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Did you not see her trying to walk away from the student?

One of the onlooking students confirms this starting at 1:04 on this video: Teen student shoves 66-year-old Texas teacher to ground | KXAN.com

Regardless, it's a shame when a retired teacher has to try and run away from the students. If something went down after she runs away, they'd probably fire her for abandoning the classroom.
She did turn away from him, I see, but he still went after her. Retired teachers don't go back to teaching for the money usually - they go back because they miss teaching, which is really sad considering this poor woman was almost killed doing what she obviously loved doing. I find it sad that NO ONE in this class attempted to step in to diffuse the situation. Maybe this person's friend could of calmed him down, but maybe he doesn't have any friends and this was his way to score popularity points.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,865,408 times
Quote:
So it never really changed him, just scared him for a small amount of time.
I wouldn't exactly call a person who drives drunk a serious criminal.

Not the best decision in the world, but also doesn't mean he was living a life of crime.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,168,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Until teachers, bus drivers, and others who deal with these kids start pressing charges nothing will change. Many school districts prohibit teachers from pressing charges preferring to handle the incident themselves. These kids need to be charged with assault and sent to jail. There is no excuse for this type of behavior.
They would fire me then because I would certainly press charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events