U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 8,025,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What percentage of students are black in DC? Are there any good public schools there?
According to this site, http://publicschoolsk12.com/high-schools/dc/, the DC High Schools are 88% black, 7% Hispanic and 4 % white. I went to school in New Orleans where the schools are 95% black. There were a few good students but a huge % of very low performers. I don't know if it's possible to have a large black schools and be exceptional...I'd like to think you could but obviously throwing huge dollars at it as DC has done absolutely doesn't work. You need parents that care and demand their kids and their schools to be exceptional...as is the case where I live in Washington (state).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,111 times
Quote:
What percentage of students are black in DC? Are there any good public schools there?
http://www.washlaw.org/pdf/DC%20Publ...0-%20Final.pdf

3/4 of DCPS is black. 2/3 of them are low income. The good schools are the charter and private.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM

11,356 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
http://www.washlaw.org/pdf/DC%20Publ...0-%20Final.pdf

3/4 of DCPS is black. 2/3 of them are low income. The good schools are the charter and private.
I guess this brings up the question - why are so many blacks in DC poor and why is low income THAT much of a hindrance? I mean, I hear a lot of Appalachia is dirt floor poor and living in slums - how much funding (and attention) do they get and how are the schools performing compared to DC? Are they killing each other in the streets and assaulting teachers everyday in WV? I'm thinking people like these...

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-21-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,161,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
DC High Schools are 88% black ... in New Orleans ... 95% black ... a few good students but a huge % of very low performers.
What are the test scores in the heavily black DC suburbs, where most parents are educated middle-class government employees?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...oaW_story.html
Here's a generic article from 10 years ago:
http://hepg.org/her-home/issues/harv...herarticle/_38
Perhaps, mothers collecting welfare & living in public or Section 8 housing should have to attend school with their children! They can both assist in the teaching process, and do some learning themselves, until obtaining earned high school diplomas or GEDs.

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-21-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
What are the test scores in the heavily black DC suburbs, where most parents are educated middle-class government employees?

Perhaps, mothers collecting welfare & living in public or Section 8 housing should have to attend school with their children! They can both assist in the teaching process, and do some learning themselves, until obtaining earned high school diplomas or GEDs.
Or what about separating the higher performers from the low performers? Maybe the bottom 50% (probably function academically like 2nd graders) can go off to highly structured trade schools that are ran military style. Granted, I sure this would be seen as racist somehow.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,161,708 times
Quote:
what about separating the higher performers from the low ... this would be seen as racist somehow.
Why? There were always "reading groups" when I went to school, as well as advanced, average & low-achieving classes. Today, there are "Gifted & Talented" programs in many schools, as well as magnet schools. Many appear to attract more whites and Asians, than blacks & latinos, but if they are truly merit based, that should survive a challenge.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Why? There were always "reading groups" when I went to school, as well as advanced, average & low-achieving classes. Today, there are "Gifted & Talented" programs in many schools, as well as magnet schools. Many appear to attract more whites and Asians, than blacks & latinos, but if they are truly merit based, that should survive a challenge.
We had that too. I'm saying separate them completely into different schools. Don't let the lower performing kids steal any of the funds or make the school feel more dangerous. And don't try to "educate" them - just discipline, life skills and some sort of trade.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,820,963 times
Has anyone questioned how that money is being spent?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,532,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
To do so would imply that there will be accountability for the poor results. We know that's not a concern in government.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 AM

303 posts, read 486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Of course not. Everyone is quick to jump onto the racial bandwagon and avoid the conversation of corrupt officials. As a DC Native and product of the DCPS system I can tell you horror stories of Fundraising Money 'absconded' with by teachers. Students had saved up several thousand dollars towards their senior class trip, only to find out in the months leading up to the trip that the money had 'disappeared.'

In the 90s - early 00's when I was going through the system, it was common to have a teacher to student ratio of 1:50, and to learn from books that indicated Reagan as sitting president. How much was used towards spending then?

Something tells me that not even half of the money 'spent' on each student is seen by the student in any meaningful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events