U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,497,562 times
Reputation: 18346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Coolhand...with all due respect, I am NOT a liberal and you are right about Sharpton. I think he really should be in jail and is nothing other than a race baiter. He's a race merchant who makes millions off of keeping people feeling like they are owed and that they are victims.

But Bob Beckel is a total pig. He has tried to buy votes from the electoral college for Gore, turned against Muslims ONLY because his Muslim prostitute tried to extort 50K from him (google it) and his other claim to fame is that he managed Mondale's failed campaign. He managed to win 1 state in that presidential election. Hates the Republicans, Military, Jews, Italians, Asians, Southerners, Muslims(for the above reason), a dry drunk, coke fiend and a sexist. His favorite name for a women is "broad". Now his latest revelation is punching a woman in the face. He has no business being on Fox. He should have a show with Sharpton
True, Beckel is all those things. But Fox is smarter than MSNBC in that they will keep Beckel there to show a side of liberals that is not so PC or tolerant, basically, they will give him and other liberals all the rope they need to hang themselves with. No need for Fox to bash liberals when they have a token liberal who jams his foot in his mouth every time he opens it. It's just smart strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Naples & Sarasota Florida
597 posts, read 899,131 times
Reputation: 888
Well, I can tell you I won't even watch the Five because of him but now they parade him from show to show. Today he was even spread out on the couch of "Outnumbered". Same lies, same talking points....nothing changes with him. He has 2 neuron's left and even the Liberals on Fox have to reign him in.

I just hate when he insults people and lies. He has nothing valid to say so he goes into attack and insult mode. Typical.

If he was a conservative he would be on the front page of the NYtimes for his sexist, bigoted comments. I think that was why people read my OP and thought I was a liberal. I said "why aren't people boycotting Fox" but I was meaning that if a conservative says anything, the media is going after their jobs. Meanwhile this buffoon does this daily and gets away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times
Reputation: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Well, I can tell you I won't even watch the Five because of him but now they parade him from show to show. Today he was even spread out on the couch of "Outnumbered". Same lies, same talking points....nothing changes with him. He has 2 neuron's left and even the Liberals on Fox have to reign him in.

I just hate when he insults people and lies. He has nothing valid to say so he goes into attack and insult mode. Typical.

If he was a conservative he would be on the front page of the NYtimes for his sexist, bigoted comments. I think that was why people read my OP and thought I was a liberal. I said "why aren't people boycotting Fox" but I was meaning that if a conservative says anything, the media is going after their jobs. Meanwhile this buffoon does this daily and gets away with it.
You mean Fox is selling sensationalism? Say it ain't so! Fox is the Jerry Springer of todays tv and people tune in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
11,382 posts, read 7,416,523 times
Reputation: 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Fox news claims Obamaphone is paid for with tax dollars which is not true, and Bush signed the Safelink program into law.
That's hilarious. Bush signed it into law, but it's not a tax program. How did that happen?
It didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton.....
Safelink: A government benefit program.
SafeLink is a Lifeline supported service, a government benefit program. Only eligible consumers may enroll in Lifeline. Lifeline service is non-transferable and limited to one per household. Documentation of income or program participation may be required for enrollment.....

A Lifeline service. And who is Lifeline? The FCC.
Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers | FCC.gov

The Lifeline program is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). USAC is responsible for data collection and maintenance, support calculation, and disbursement for the low-income program......
And who is USAC? The designated administrator for the FCC.
About USAC - USAC.org

It was all there for you to find out. You will have to decide for yourself why you didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times
Reputation: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's hilarious. Bush signed it into law, but it's not a tax program. How did that happen?
It didn't.

Safelink: A government benefit program.
SafeLink is a Lifeline supported service, a government benefit program. Only eligible consumers may enroll in Lifeline. Lifeline service is non-transferable and limited to one per household. Documentation of income or program participation may be required for enrollment.....

A Lifeline service. And who is Lifeline? The FCC.
Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers | FCC.gov

The Lifeline program is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). USAC is responsible for data collection and maintenance, support calculation, and disbursement for the low-income program......
And who is USAC? The designated administrator for the FCC.
About USAC - USAC.org

It was all there for you to find out. You will have to decide for yourself why you didn't know.
Incorrect:

SafeLink is run by a subsidiary of América Móvil, the world’s fourth largest wireless company in terms of subscribers, but it is not paid for directly by the company. Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims. Rather, it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission.

The Obama Phone?

Here's the law passed by a Republican controlled congress, and signed by Clinton in 1996.

Universal Service Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Safelink is similar to, but not part of Lifeline landlines.

TracFone Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2008, the program was brought into the 21st century by the Bush Administration and the FCC by making the exact same program available for wireless phones.

Safelink Wireless - Free Government Cell Phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,928,374 times
Reputation: 28957
Beckel may be a registered Democrat, but his opinions rarely represent any liberals I know. FOX will never discipline him for this incident. First of all because he's already done worse. But mostly because he fills a need for them. They can say they are presenting "both sides" of an issue. But, conveniently, the counterpoint view they choose comes from a reprehensible human. He's been in public fights, he constantly makes verbal outbursts he later apologizes for, and he was once dismissed from a Senate political campaign after being targeted for extortion by a prostitute.

Beckel says he is a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict. Normally I would strongly support anyone in recovery, but he doesn't seem to be working much of a program of trying to become a better person. He's a misogynist, exhibits religious bias, uses rude language inappropriately in public, etc. Not the demeanor of a person who has control of his obsessive behavior. But no doubt how FOX would like people to believe all "liberals" behave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,497,562 times
Reputation: 18346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Beckel may be a registered Democrat, but his opinions rarely represent any liberals I know. FOX will never discipline him for this incident. First of all because he's already done worse. But mostly because he fills a need for them. They can say they are presenting "both sides" of an issue. But, conveniently, the counterpoint view they choose comes from a reprehensible human. He's been in public fights, he constantly makes verbal outbursts he later apologizes for, and he was once dismissed from a Senate political campaign after being targeted for extortion by a prostitute.

Beckel says he is a recovering alcoholic and cocaine addict. Normally I would strongly support anyone in recovery, but he doesn't seem to be working much of a program of trying to become a better person. He's a misogynist, exhibits religious bias, uses rude language inappropriately in public, etc. Not the demeanor of a person who has control of his obsessive behavior. But no doubt how FOX would like people to believe all "liberals" behave.
I feel the same way. I have friends who are liberal and friends who are conservative, most of them don't behave like Beckel or some of the folks on the right such as O'Reilly...who tries to say he is down the middle but he is an arrogant bully regardless if he is center or right of.

But these big networks all work the same formula. They have three or four lefties or righties on a panel of only one opposite and that one guy usually gets pummeled or made to look the fool. Bill Maher is notorious for this tactic. Often these shows and networks are just preaching to the choir, so they need their token fall-guy to be set up and knocked down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Naples & Sarasota Florida
597 posts, read 899,131 times
Reputation: 888
Now I read on a news site that Beckel gave advice for Memorial Day: if you have to take a road trip with your family to "bring a shotgun for your wife and a can of gas for the ones in the back seat".

There you go. This is truly a man who is unleashed and Fox has no intention of reigning him in. He's disgusting.

I am not a liberal but if I was a liberal I would be writing to Fox and telling them to replace him for making liberal look worse than they do already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 AM
 
413 posts, read 552,675 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Now I read on a news site that Beckel gave advice for Memorial Day: if you have to take a road trip with your family to "bring a shotgun for your wife and a can of gas for the ones in the back seat".

There you go. This is truly a man who is unleashed and Fox has no intention of reigning him in. He's disgusting.

I am not a liberal but if I was a liberal I would be writing to Fox and telling them to replace him for making liberal look worse than they do already.
He is not represntatative of liberals/progressives. He is representative of fox's view of liberals/progressives.
Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Naples & Sarasota Florida
597 posts, read 899,131 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
He is not represntatative of liberals/progressives. He is representative of fox's view of liberals/progressives.
Big difference.
Well, they (the liberals) still supply him with their talking points for the day so he must still have an "in" with them. When something comes up, Jay Carney, Obama, Chris Matthews, Bob Beckel are all using the same talking points.

Beckel is just a brain dead toad when he goes off script. That is when he starts with the tantrums, racial slurs, sexist comments, made up facts, slurring his words,etc.

I really can't think of another show, on any network, that has someone who acts like Beckel. Fox is walking on thin ice with him because he will get them sued yet. It's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top