U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 AM

513 posts, read 559,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Telling people they can't smoke pot in private is one thing, and I don't agree with it. Telling them they cannot work while impaired is another entirely, and the right to do so should not be infringed upon be it a public business or government entity. If you must be high to work, you can't work for the FBI, or for me. Simple as that. make the choice.
That is not what was said. Right now if you have smoked pot EVER in your life you are not allowed to join the FBI. The director has said that is unrealistic given some of the best computer people have smoked weed at some point and to DQ them for that is ridiculous. They are not saying you can smoke on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM

1,093 posts, read 921,537 times
Default Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
That is not what was said. Right now if you have smoked pot EVER in your life you are not allowed to join the FBI. The director has said that is unrealistic given some of the best computer people have smoked weed at some point and to DQ them for that is ridiculous. They are not saying you can smoke on the job.
The director said that use had to be 3 years or more ago. A current policy that he now says he has no plans on changing.

He is also backpedaling on his original statements, which he has now said were an attempt at a joke.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 AM

17,456 posts, read 14,937,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Telling people they can't smoke pot in private is one thing, and I don't agree with it. Telling them they cannot work while impaired is another entirely, and the right to do so should not be infringed upon be it a public business or government entity. If you must be high to work, you can't work for the FBI, or for me. Simple as that. make the choice.
This has absolutely nothing to do with being high at work. But if you smoke on your off time, you'll fail the test and not behired under current policy (they say anyone whose smoked within the last 3 years, which leads me to believe they use hair tests as they are the only tests that could possibly go back that far). Now they are considering changing their policy not to allow people to be high at work(which I don't think anyone is for, even the most avid pro-pot folks) but to have smoked or smoke in their off time and not have it be an automatic disqualifier.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 AM

17,456 posts, read 14,937,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
The director said that use had to be 3 years or more ago. A current policy that he now says he has no plans on changing.

He is also backpedaling on his original statements, which he has now said were an attempt at a joke.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Just saw this, and disappointed to hear it. I do still believe outdated beliefs are coming down, though, faster than I ever thought possible. In fact I told my financial guy I want to invest some of my portfolio in marijuana stocks (legal ones!).

Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 AM

795 posts, read 994,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with being high at work. But if you smoke on your off time, you'll fail the test and not behired under current policy (they say anyone whose smoked within the last 3 years, which leads me to believe they use hair tests as they are the only tests that could possibly go back that far). Now they are considering changing their policy not to allow people to be high at work(which I don't think anyone is for, even the most avid pro-pot folks) but to have smoked or smoke in their off time and not have it be an automatic disqualifier.
Actually, when you go for the background, they simply ask if you have... and then they start going around and visiting people you know and asking questions.

You give them three names you know personally and three business on the application. Then they come back and ask for more names... then from those names, they get additional names from the people they interview. They keep contacting people... if one says something that contradicts what you wrote, you might be rejected.

Of course, this is a basic explanation... and depends on what type of clearance you need. Could need more, like a polygraph, etc.

Pot use is limited to the last three years... other drugs 10 years.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 AM

726 posts, read 666,819 times
I've got to wonder if any of the anti-weed brigade have smoked it even once. It is the mildest, gentlest substance out there and how it has managed to be so hated and opposed is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or