U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,953,644 times

Advertisements

This is the type of thing that should be discussed and taught to children because this is beautiful. Not the racism rants where people lay in wait to dig something out of the garbage for a "see, told you!!! moment".

Man With Alzheimer's Proves That Even If The Mind Forgets, 'The Heart Remembers'

It should be a crime to even mention the word "racism" in a sentence because it goes both ways.
The police officer is a hero, notice the way he slips his credit card, trying not to be seen.

This erases all the attacks and whining because somebody decided to be childish and jump on every slight or word in order to poke a fire that should have gone out a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 5,035,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
point i making, first impression counts, don't want be a thug, quit looking like a thug
No.

Thugs are commonly viewed as black men in hoodies. I wear hoodies when it is cold outside. Does this make me a thug?

Now I have to change the way I dress to make others feel better? Amazing. What is also amazing is that I may look like a thug from far away in my hoodie, but from close glance the logo says, "National Society of Black Engineers." I was a collegiate member in undergraduate.

**** the thug BS. That thinking is irrational. IT IS NOT OKAY!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,953,644 times
I worked as a waitress for 45 years, mainly nights. Walking down dark city streets at midnight because you can never find a parking place on your own block?
YES, cross the street whether the person is black or white because it gives the impression they are trying to hide and it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Of course, that is during the summer when there is no reason to have your hood up.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 10 days ago)

3,949 posts, read 3,189,496 times
Do you think that Magic Johnson is pro-black, or that Jay-Z raps about pro-black issues? They are owners of NBA teams, does being pro-black make them racist?

I, as a white man, if I were to say I was pro-white, I could possibly be fired, fined, jailed, sued, and least of all I would most certainly be called a skinhead and a racist.

I grew up in a southern, racist household. One half of my family owned slaves sometime back in the 1700's. I have learned (or taught) myself over the years that racism is a thought process that is certainly passed down from generation to generation or influenced by friends and outside forces. Because of my upbringing, I would be labeled a racist by many people on here. I would argue that I'm the least racist person in the world. I do however lock my doors if I feel uncomfortable with an area or a person approaching me. This doesn't make me a racist, only cautious of my surroundings. I have been a victim of four crimes in my life, all four were robberies and two were performed by whites and two blacks. This hasn't made me hate blacks, just cautious of my surroundings. I too, would cross the street if a young man dressed a certain way was approaching me. The clothing is what sets off the alarms, not the color of his skin. This does not in any way shape or form make me a racist. Most of my friends are white, but I have friends of all colors and creeds. My best friend is Pacific Islander. In my opinion, Mark Cuban is speaking the truth about what stigmas are currently around in America. I seriously doubt that Cuban is a racist, although the term racist is spewed so often, I'm 100% positive that the OP won't be the only person on here that plays the race card.

Why can't we have an honest open discussion without it turning political or being called a racist anymore in this country?

If you want to see racism in it's truest form, turn to politics. There are so many issues governed by race. Take the "war on drugs" for example. Looking to public figures and pillars of the community as targets for playing the race card is ignoring the real racism in this country performed everyday by our government.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:04 AM

1,170 posts, read 747,863 times
As a woman I cross the street regardless of the colour of the man's skin. Now that's a sad comment on our culture.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 10 days ago)

3,949 posts, read 3,189,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
This is the type of thing that should be discussed and taught to children because this is beautiful. Not the racism rants where people lay in wait to dig something out of the garbage for a "see, told you!!! moment".

Man With Alzheimer's Proves That Even If The Mind Forgets, 'The Heart Remembers'

It should be a crime to even mention the word "racism" in a sentence because it goes both ways.
The police officer is a hero, notice the way he slips his credit card, trying not to be seen.

This erases all the attacks and whining because somebody decided to be childish and jump on every slight or word in order to poke a fire that should have gone out a long time ago.
Love the video, very heart warming!

Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No.

Thugs are commonly viewed as black men in hoodies. I wear hoodies when it is cold outside. Does this make me a thug?

Now I have to change the way I dress to make others feel better? Amazing. What is also amazing is that I may look like a thug from far away in my hoodie, but from close glance the logo says, "National Society of Black Engineers." I was a collegiate member in undergraduate.

**** the thug BS. That thinking is irrational. IT IS NOT OKAY!
Yeah it is OK. The way we dress and present ourselves in public is, among other functions, a form of communication. Now I'm not sure how hoodies came to be seen as scary; it's gonna take more than just a hoodie to get my attention. But if you look like you just walked off the set of a gangsta-rap video or out of a Hell's Angels clubhouse... then yeah, I'm gonna assume you intend to play the part you've dressed for until I have enough information to believe otherwise. Since we have very limited information available about people we don't know, all we have to go on at first impression is, well, first impressions. And if the first impression you give suggests I should exercise caution around you, then that's what I'm going to do until I have reason to believe it's not necessary. And I won't feel one iota of guilt about it.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 AM

13,634 posts, read 21,494,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
Yeah, Mark Cuban admitted that he has some racist in him. But he says that you're a racist too. Do you or do you not agree with that?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,174,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
And let's not forget Michael Jordan:

"I was racist when I was a kid, I hated all white people."

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,849,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
And let's not forget Michael Jordan:

"I was racist when I was a kid, I hated all white people."
Fox News Talking Point Alert!!!

Another oft repeated "well other people do it" trope, as usual, taken out of context. Michael Jordan actually grew up mostly around whites in a semi-rural area outside of Wilmington, NC. As a child, he experienced being invited to a birthday pool party and all of the white kids fleeing the pool when he jumped in. He was taunted by the nickname "black cat". He ultimately broke after a girl called him the "N-word". The description of the excerpt from his book is as follows:

"In fact, while in school, a girl called Jordan a '******', and he was suspended after he threw a soda at her in response. 'I considered myself a racist at that time. Basically, I was against all white people', Jordan admits in the book. The incident happened right after the death of Jordan’s great-grandfather Dawson. Jordan was angered by the life Dawson had had to live. He was 5’5” and a cripple, who had struggled all his life to support himself by rafting logs, sharecropping, and working as a cook at a whites-only hunting club."

So it was Jordan himself who was being introspective by saying he was against all white people "at that time". It was his own self-reflection after his own experiences as a youth. There has yet to be any shred of evidence that Michael Jordan has discriminated against white people (institutionally or otherwise) and can be defined as a racist beyond "that time" outside of his own self-perception. His supposed "racism" was actually a clear identification of a disciplinary system failing him (was the girl suspended too?); once again, without any demonstration that Jordan actively sought reprisals against whites just on the basis of being white, isn't his "racism" just a one-on-one act of throwing a soda at the girl who personally and directly discriminated against him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or