Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times

Advertisements

"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 PM

29,437 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

From your statement, being bald and liking ink makes you an extremist skinhead , so sure a black kid in a hoodie is most likely a thug.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:14 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:

You are a race monger for making that statement

Cuban speaks the truth. Too bad the race mongers will start to scream racist like robots

Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
if I see a black kid in a hoodie walking on my side of the street, I just want to give him a hug!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos ...Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
Tattoo artist = skinehead

Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
He's just saying what we are all thinking.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You should actually listen to the interviews in context of what he says.

He's a good guy, certainly not a racist.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
It's not about what defines racism, or any other supposedly - "unacceptable" behavior: it's about attitudes; and worse yet, it's about just who is supposed to (exclusively) decide these matters.

It's the Absolutely Politically Correct -- the "powers-that-wannabee" -- who are the real threat to freedom of expression (and thereby, to all individual liberties) in contemporary America.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:

What he is saying is common sense. You are on guard toward anyone you don't know. If that person seems to conform to what you imagine as a dangerous person, you will be even more on guard. At this point you are not a racist. This is how the human mind works. We classify things so we are able to make decisions quickly. When you walk down the street, the first things you notice about a person is the gender and the race. And along with that, you have some ideas in your head what a person of that gender and race is like. This doesn't mean you are being sexist or racist. HOWEVER, you are a racist if once you have found out more details about the person, you insist on holding onto your initial impression. If Mark Cuban had said, and if that kid took off his hoodie and I recognize him as someone I know but I continue to suspect he is a criminal, then he is a racist. Or, he would be racist if he had said, if I saw a group of black NBA players walking down the street in hoodies, I would move to the other side.

Don Sterling told his girlfriend not to associate with black people. And she asked even if that person was Magic Johnson and he said yes. Do you see the difference?

People have a hard time separating their emotions when accusations of racism come up. However, the reason we are susceptible to racist judgments is no different than why we fall for optical illusions.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:23 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:

I understand what he's saying, even though it's not really fair. The white guy chose to look like he does, the black kid was made by God the way he is and to judge him for it is wrong.

I wouldn't cross the street to avoid a black kid in a hoodie. I would cross the street to avoid a group of young black men in hoodies however. If that makes me a racist I guess send me a flag and I'll fly it.

But I'll also avoid a group of white thugs as well.

Problem is, I avoided the black kids and they might not have meant any harm so there is the problem.

It's not my fault I feel the way I do. I think it's up to the young black men to change their image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events