Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,846,310 times

Advertisements

Cuban better watch himself making comments about race - he might stir up another witch hunt.

He's already:

-became a rich white guy
-made this comment
-made comments about Treyvon
-made the slippery slope comment about banning Sterling
-has a white guy as the best player on his team

Cuban's on a dangerous road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,610,086 times
I'm sure Mark Cuban cares what people think.

Chew on this:

Jesse Jackson: "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

Old 05-22-2014, 05:07 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,271,334 times
what if it were any other race in black hoodies? not just young black men, but the hoodie thing?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,846,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
what if it were any other race in black hoodies? not just young black men, but the hoodie thing?
He probably used hoodie in reference to a black guy wearing the typical urban street wear. Something like this (minus the cuffs):

Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,400,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
What he is saying is common sense. You are on guard toward anyone you don't know. If that person seems to conform to what you imagine as a dangerous person, you will be even more on guard. At this point you are not a racist. This is how the human mind works. We classify things so we are able to make decisions quickly. When you walk down the street, the first things you notice about a person is the gender and the race. And along with that, you have some ideas in your head what a person of that gender and race is like. This doesn't mean you are being sexist or racist. HOWEVER, you are a racist if once you have found out more details about the person, you insist on holding onto your initial impression. If Mark Cuban had said, and if that kid took off his hoodie and I recognize him as someone I know but I continue to suspect he is a criminal, then he is a racist. Or, he would be racist if he had said, if I saw a group of black NBA players walking down the street in hoodies, I would move to the other side.

Don Sterling told his girlfriend not to associate with black people. And she asked even if that person was Magic Johnson and he said yes. Do you see the difference?

People have a hard time separating their emotions when accusations of racism come up. However, the reason we are susceptible to racist judgments is no different than why we fall for optical illusions.
Great post, spot on. Let' take the example of a female leaving to go somewhere alone and they see someone that looks possibly threatening, they profile sure, and if they don't, and that person attacks them, then some people will blame them for not profiling, but they use words like situational awareness.

I just saw a quick blurb on tv with Daymon Jonhn where he walks into high end retail looking like a sketchy rasta farai dude and when he pulls the wig the completely change their attitude, one of them profiling them was not while also.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 PM

861 posts, read 1,326,609 times
How is equating a black kid wearing an inconspicuous piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead not racist?

Guarantee he will be fined by the NBA and thrown off The Shark Tank.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,545,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post

Guaranteed he will NOT be fined by the NBA and not thrown off The Shark Tank.

Even if he was, he wouldn't care as he is a billionaire.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
When did everyone get to be such vaginas???? We are ALL entitled to feel the way we feel. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't mean it's wrong. GET OVER IT

Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,610,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
How is equating a black kid wearing an inconspicuous piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead not racist?

I'm in. What are the stakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
When did everyone get to be such vaginas???? We are ALL entitled to feel the way we feel. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't mean it's wrong. GET OVER IT
That's the truth, a billion times over.

Just because you're famous doesn't mean you're not human with human feelings and fears.

I'm sick to death of this political correctness.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,863,927 times
Funny... Dallas ABC news showed his interview and did a poll to see if you were offended.

The next 2 segments of the evening news was .... 1. A black guy in a hoody knocking off a store with a gun threatening the clerk on video 2. A black guy going crazy with a gun and shooting 4 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events