U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Blaming Islam for the fact this psychopath killed his wife is like blaming Christianity for the fact Dennis Rader was a serial killer.
What about the Muslim kidnapping of the girls in Nigeria? And what about the Boston Marathon, 9-11? All the thousands of Muslim atrocities?

No one in his right mind believes that it's ONE psychopath Muslim. And the kidnapping, rape, and sale of those Nigerian girls is perfectly fine under Islamic laws and traditions. It's what Mohammed himself practiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,234,521 times
Sharia law exists in a minority of Muslim countries.

And yeah, what about all the Christian nutcases who kill people with guns and knives literally everyday? You're just pointing at a few incidents that total less than probably twenty Muslims.

You are one of those people who is addicted to fear, I'm afraid.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:38 AM

10,415 posts, read 7,495,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Sharia law exists in a minority of Muslim countries.
Do you actually believe this? Check out entire sections of London that are now under Sharia law. And the French are about to go extinct and be replaced by Muslims who practice...guess what? Sharia Law.

Sharia Law is in place wherever a Muslim lives, even if it's only extends to the borders of their property.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,234,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Do you actually believe this? Check out entire sections of London that are now under Sharia law. And the French are about to go extinct and be replaced by Muslims who practice...guess what? Sharia Law.

Sharia Law is in place wherever a Muslim lives, even if it's only extends to the borders of their property.
Regardless, it is not law that is upheld by the majority of Muslim locales. And the French are about to be extinct? Which ones? The 'not Muslim ones'? What does religion have to do with nationality? They (Muslims) are less than 10% of the French population. Hardly a threat.

Have you done any travelling outside America where large Muslim populations live? Do you know any Muslims personally? I think double not.

I'm not religious, so it's not like I have an axe to grind with any one group. They are equally silly to me, but I'm not gonna be fed this idea that Muslims are somehow more prone to violence any more than other world religions. It is one of the fastest growing and largest religions - of course you can cherry pick crimes of passion under Islam, but I can do that to any religion with a large following too.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 PM

21,528 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
No, this is not good enough. Even if it happens more among muslims, it is not a rule of Islam and not characteristic of the beliefs of most muslims. There was not a single mention of the religion and its possible influence on this incident in the article. There is no reason to do this kind of assuming. At most, it is mentioned that it is more customary to abuse in Pakistan, and that was just a weak argument by the defense team.
I take it you decided not to read the links. This man comes from a society in which beating your wife is indeed customary, and attempts to criminalize it are being blocked by Islamic authorities in Pakistan. Just because the author of the article chose not to explore it does not mean it is not true.

Meanwhile, you can obtain instruction from your Imam in how to perform wife beating it seems.

Imam 'called on faithful to abuse errant wives' - Telegraph

Muslim clerics advocate wife beating - Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com.

Pakistan is an Islamic state, codified in its Constitution. There is no separation of church and state. There can be no laws that go counter to Islam. If Islam does not permit wife-beating, why do Pakistani Islamic leaders not speak out against it? Why are they against laws which would make spousal violence illegal?

Here is an article from an Imam in the UK who addresses it and concludes that the pesky verb in the Qur'an which has been translated as hit does not mean hit.

http://muslimmatters.muslimmatters.n...g-Wome-2-2.pdf

I have real difficulty with the linguistic gymnastics he uses to support his thesis. Ironically, he ultimately only demonstrates that his interpretation is definitely not the mainstream version.

The roots of the actions of the man in the OP are in Pakistan and in Pakistani interpretation of the Qur'an permitting physical violence against wives.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:17 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,073,754 times
Interesting stats;

U.S. Population 313.9 million

Pakistan 179.2

Approx number of women murdered in the U.S. per year: 1,400

Approx number of women murdered in Pakistan per year: 1,330

Despite having half the annual per capita murder rate of women, not much to sit back and crow about.

...Complied from a number of sources.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM

10,415 posts, read 7,495,645 times
Quote:
Have you done any travelling outside America where large Muslim populations live? Do you know any Muslims personally?
Besides that whole Middle East deployment thing, and the number of gas station owners I encountered in Germany, not really. Of course there's a huge Muslim population here in Atlanta and all over the US. I take that back, they're taking over the PI and I've been there. Japan is very protective of their culture so the time I spent there doesn't count. Europe and the Azores - I wasn't there long enough to really count.

I know former Muslims. The Muslims I encounter at the park as I walk my dogs express open hostility and disdain for me so, though I greet them in a friendly manner, they won't socialize with me.

And I've read enough of their doctrine to know what it says.

I love people from all walks, don't get me wrong. Some of the practices that are endorsed by the Muslim leaders (try reading Khomeini's stuff) are heinous. I did site actual cases in my previous post. Barely scratching the surface of current events every day, even in this country. There are so many persecuted women and children in that faith.

Gems of Khomeini

Old 05-24-2014, 03:42 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,073,754 times
Quote:
The Muslims I encounter at the park as I walk my dogs express open hostility and disdain for me so...
Must be your deodorant...

Here is Philly we have a rather large Muslim presence, both converted African Americans, East Asian and some from the middle east... never noticed any hostility open or otherwise, quite the opposite in fact. Must be my deodorant.

Having said that, generally speaking, I find orthodox Islam to be as wearisome as any other religious orthodoxy but like all other theist that I know or encounter i find a great deal of range within their adherents from those who believe in the most odious things to those who profess and practice totally intolerable to those who live religious lives that I find somewhat admirable which is why I find the broad brush characterizations so ridiculously idiotic, particularly when you consider the degree of rank insanity emanating from our own "Christian" zealots and right wing nut cases.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Besides that whole Middle East deployment thing, and the number of gas station owners I encountered in Germany, not really. Of course there's a huge Muslim population here in Atlanta and all over the US. I take that back, they're taking over the PI and I've been there. Japan is very protective of their culture so the time I spent there doesn't count. Europe and the Azores - I wasn't there long enough to really count.

I know former Muslims. The Muslims I encounter at the park as I walk my dogs express open hostility and disdain for me so, though I greet them in a friendly manner, they won't socialize with me.

And I've read enough of their doctrine to know what it says.

I love people from all walks, don't get me wrong. Some of the practices that are endorsed by the Muslim leaders (try reading Khomeini's stuff) are heinous. I did site actual cases in my previous post. Barely scratching the surface of current events every day, even in this country. There are so many persecuted women and children in that faith.

Gems of Khomeini
Muslims think dogs are devils -- they hate dogs almost as much as they hate pigs. I work with a Muslim -- he despises dogs and thinks people who own them are evil.

They say that the dog hating goes back to Mohammed, they were sneaking up on a Jewish settlement planning to murder the residents when the dogs of that settlement began to bark and alerted their owners to the Muslims -- and the Muslims were defeated. Ever since then, Muslims think dogs are with the devil that they would side with their enemies.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 PM

781 posts, read 566,622 times
I don't know about vegetarian, but eat a vegan diet for too long and may want to kill somebody. Of course you won't have the energy to do it.

You can live on a vegan diet, but do so long enough and you won't want to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events