U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,082,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Exactly. If the owners had been armed, or one of the patrons was able to pull out his piece, then this event would have been stooped dead in its tracks.

Or the owner would have been killed fumbling with his six shooter.

We simply don't have enough guns. That is all there is to it.

(Ever notice that we have all these people who just have to walk around with a loaded gun on their person, but none of them ever gets off a shot during a crime? Yeah, I know, they were just acting responsibly).
And too think I thought most would catch the sarcasm. We now have more guns and higher homicide rates than most other industrialized nations, so the proof is in the pudding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,745,943 times
Question Entire US states have plenty of guns, lower homicide rates even than many other industrialized nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
And too think I thought most would catch the sarcasm. We now have more guns and higher homicide rates than most other industrialized nations, so the proof is in the pudding!
Actually no, we don't. Certain parts of certain states have "higher homicide rates than most other industrialized nations". The rest of the country seems to get by perfectly fine with more guns and lower homicide rates.

If "guns" are why so many people in the USA kill each other, why do New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Idaho, Utah and Iowa have minimal gun laws, and yet show homicide rates on par with most other industrialized nations, and lower violent crime rates than most industrialized nations?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,082,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Actually no, we don't. Certain parts of certain states have "higher homicide rates than most other industrialized nations". The rest of the country seems to get by perfectly fine with more guns and lower homicide rates.

If "guns" are why so many people in the USA kill each other, why do New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Idaho, Utah and Iowa have minimal gun laws, and yet show homicide rates on par with most other industrialized nations, and lower violent crime rates than most industrialized nations?
I love it when you cherry pick statistics and make excuses, because you know you're wrong. What about the high state rates where guns were proven to have come from states with liberal laws. Supporting felons selling guns, and buying guns is not my idea of being conservative. Do you support felons buying guns?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,257,531 times
I'm not supportive of violent felons being free to buy or sell guns...everyone else may go about their business unmolested.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,745,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I love it when you cherry pick statistics and make excuses, because you know you're wrong. What about the high state rates where guns were proven to have come from states with liberal laws. Supporting felons selling guns, and buying guns is not my idea of being conservative. Do you support felons buying guns?
MrTroll, you're starting to sound like a broken record.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM

5,824 posts, read 3,770,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Common sense is not a strong suit for the two of you is it?

Read again ppl per sq mile, what is so frigging hard to understand?
Kettle, Meet Pot.

We are not comparing violent crimes per square mile. We are comparing crimes per 100,000 residents of two different states. Miles do not commit crimes, violent or otherwise. We use that way of comparing (per unit of population) to eliminate other variables such as population density(per sq mile) as primary factors.

For example, if you wanted to know what the racial makeup of a state is you might find a state has 70% whites, 25% blacks and 5% other races. In this case, 70 out of 100 ppl are white, 25 out of 100 are black, etc. The reason we use 100,000 for crime statistics instead of 100 is the number would be too small to have meaning. From a percentage basis the crime rates are very low.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,620,573 times
They probably couldn't read.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:18 AM

854 posts, read 898,645 times
I support rattlesnake shootout training.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM

12,579 posts, read 12,804,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I'm not supportive of violent felons being free to buy or sell guns...everyone else may go about their business unmolested.
Whether you support it or not felons don't purchase firearms through legal channels as a habit.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM

35 posts, read 36,201 times
There could be an analogy here. Justifying rape because of a short skirt would be like justifying armed robbery because of "NO GUNS" signs. But no one here seems to be trying to justify armed robbery. Or working in the other direction, from the pro-gun arguments here to the context of rape, the pro-gun people would be arguing for the arming of women who wear short skirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events