U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,752,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehop743 View Post
the pro-gun people would be arguing for the arming of women who wear short skirts.
Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,961,494 times
I'm not a huge gun person.. I have 5 or 6 including an AR-15 which I just bought but have never fired. I could do without them. There's not much crime around where I live. However the gun culture around eastern South Dakota is very strong... they are not going away any time soon so get used to it. Farmers have them by the dozens, if not over a hundred.

More personal freedom is preferable to less. A few unfortunate circumstances where people might over-react, those people can be dealt with accordingly by the law.

The liberal answer is always to ban things for everyone to protect them from themselves rather than punishing the few bad apples that are really the problem. Actually conservatives do this as well, it's called the war on drugs.

Having guns saves more lives of law abiding citizens than not having guns, and gun freedom has been proven to work just as well in the US as banning them in other countries. Making guns illegal means only criminals will have them, since they will always migrate up from mexico and be distributed in the US. In the end it's a bit of a wash, but I always prefer more personal freedom to less.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,261,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Whether you support it or not felons don't purchase firearms through legal channels as a habit.
I know....what I'm saying is that violent felons should not be FREE to do anything!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 PM

854 posts, read 899,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I know....what I'm saying is that violent felons should not be FREE to do anything!
I think felons should be allowed to own a weapon if they have paid for their crimes.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Despite 80-90% of violent crimes being committed by previously convicted felons...?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Despite 80-90% of violent crimes being committed by previously convicted felons...?
Yeah, who cares.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 PM

^^^ Yeah who cares? If your goal is to ban guns why let simple solutions or facts bother you?

Keeping violent felons off the street would prevent 80-90% of new violent crimes...who cares...let's disarm innocent victims instead!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
^^^ Yeah who cares? If your goal is to ban guns why let simple solutions or facts bother you?

Keeping violent felons off the street would prevent 80-90% of new violent crimes...who cares...let's disarm innocent victims instead!
I don't want to ban guns.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 AM

5,496 posts, read 6,436,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Haha...I'm sure Dave Chappel has made some jokes about Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont being uncomfortably safe with all the whitees running around.
I don't know that 'white' has anything to do with it, but *I* certainly feel 'safer' in Maine...a state, BTW, where it is legal for ALL citizens to carry [without a 'permit'], and open carry is mandatory for those who do not possess a [right infringing] concealed weapons 'permit'.

Contrary to the horror stories promulgated by some, it isn't a 'wild west' shoot'em-up free-for-all. Funnier still, in counterpoint to those who think that only the police are 'qualified' to be running around with guns, is the story of the new Bangor police chief who shot himself with his own gun shortly after gaining that position.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,752,123 times
Wink Safe from 2-legged critters, but need to carry an high-capacity firearms as a defense against coy-wolf attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Haha...I'm sure Dave Chappel has made some jokes about Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont being uncomfortably safe with all the whitees running around.
I don't know that 'white' has anything to do with it, but *I* certainly feel 'safer' in Maine...a state, BTW, where it is legal for ALL citizens to carry [without a 'permit'], and open carry is mandatory for those who do not possess a [right infringing] concealed weapons 'permit'.
Vermont is even better -- no such thing as a concealed weapons 'permit' in Vermont.

I would never say Northern New England is safe (safer than England) because of all the white folk, causation has to be all the Moose and Maple Syrup, that's what makes ME, NH, VT, MA different. Or maybe proximity to the anti-violence rays emitted by Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events