Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
racist!
Haha...I'm sure Dave Chappel has made some jokes about Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont being uncomfortably safe with all the whitees running around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Dave Chappell is probably the most honest mouth in any form of media.

Howard Stern use to be relevent.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
This argument is so ridiculous.

Of course, armed gunmen have NEVER attempted to rob a place where there might be armed people on the premises. You know, like a bank. And they never, ever attempt to rob places where people frequently have guns under the counter - like a bar or gas station.

It's very convenient that no one ever mentions that it was an armed citizen who nearly shot the wrong person when Gabrielle Giffords was shot in Tucson.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:34 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,296 times
Fact of the matter is some joe smoe with a concealed handgun is probably gonna get himself killed by a hardened criminal that don't give a crap. This or start a shootout and hit some innocent bystander. If somebody had drawn on these criminals there would have been a bunch of dead people. They got away with the money, woopde doo. Let the cops find them.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can read anything you want in that table so let me try.

DC has 3.6% gun ownership and 16.5 gun murders per 100,000.

Wyoming has 59.7% gun ownership and 0.9 gun murders per 100,000.
Yeah DC and Wyoming aren't exactly comparable. LOL

Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Southern states also have the highest percentage of black population:

It may sound racist () to suggest a connection, but I don't think it's a secret that crime rates are very high for blacks. It stands to reason, that states that are 25%+ black will have higher crime rates.
Yeah maybe thats because they have been forced to live in horrid cramped conditions. Terrible schools, unequal pay, police harassment etc. If the demographic were reversed then you would see the same results.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Yeah maybe thats because they have been forced to live in horrid cramped conditions. Terrible schools, unequal pay, police harassment etc. If the demographic were reversed then you would see the same results.
I have no idea if the results would be the same, but I do think it's something for people living in "white states" to consider when throwing out southern crime stats. Flip the demographics and southern states may have the lower gun crime rates despite more liberal gun policies.

According to this site, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Vermont and New Hampshire are all in the top 11 for gun owners yet they all have very low firearm murder rates. Something these states have in common is that almost everyone living in them is white. Kentucky and Alaska are also "white states" in the top-11 with below average gun crimes.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-24-2014 at 03:04 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have no idea if the results would be the same, but I do think it's something for people living in "white states" to consider when throwing out southern crime stats. Flip the demographics and southern states may have the lower gun crime rates despite more liberal gun policies.
If any race is pushed into ghettos for nearly two hundred years, not given equal opportunities for education and forced to work for minimum wage or worse they would be committing just as much crime. It is kind of hard to keep an eye on your children when you have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet. To me you are saying that somehow African Americans commit more crimes because they don't have equal character. It is easy to blame a race for all the problems that have been created by the system. Haven't you ever seen White Man's Burden?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden_(film)

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
If any race is pushed into ghettos for nearly two hundred years, not given equal opportunities for education and forced to work for minimum wage or worse they would be committing just as much crime. It is kind of hard to keep an eye on your children when you have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet. To me you are saying that somehow African Americans commit more crimes because they don't have equal character. It is easy to blame a race for all the problems that have been created by the system. Haven't you ever seen White Man's Burden?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden_(film)
You are wanting to speculate about the reasons why blacks have higher crime rates. That's irrelevant to this topic. The fact is - blacks do have higher crime rates and southern states have the most blacks. That's all I'm pointing out.

BTW - West Virginia (~95% white) ranks 8th (worst) in poverty yet 5th in gun ownership (most people own guns). Their firearm murder rate is lower than California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Ohio and several other "anti-gun" states.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-24-2014 at 03:01 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I love how the best responses are to the effect of "let me make up a scenario that sounds bad because it will help me get my point across and scare the living daylights out of those who disagree with me"

Statistics? Nah, who needs those. Scary scripts are better!
I read this a week ago. It's an actual situation. Video: Waffle House Burglar Shot, Killed by Concealed Carry Permit Holder
Quote:
I guess we will never know, will we? Because now all the reasons you gave are being used to continue justifying bad behavior, when the conditions don't actually exist for most of the bad guys. Do you think every criminal comes from the ghetto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events