Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 AM

854 posts, read 1,135,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Black men in hoodies, Mark Cuban would be terrified.
LOL I bet Mark Cuban carries a .454 Casull as a concealed carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 AM

If people are going to carry sidearms I think they should be visible. Of course this would never work because some people are frightened by the sight of firearms, with good reason. My dad used to wear his .357 on his belt and it was totally visible. I don't see anything wrong with concealed or open carry but it doesn't make me feel any safer. Someone with intent to do harm will do just that regardless if you have a firearm or not. For some criminals it's not the first time someone pointed a gun in their direction.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:05 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,989,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
If any race is pushed into ghettos for nearly two hundred years, not given equal opportunities for education and forced to work for minimum wage or worse they would be committing just as much crime. It is kind of hard to keep an eye on your children when you have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet. To me you are saying that somehow African Americans commit more crimes because they don't have equal character. It is easy to blame a race for all the problems that have been created by the system. Haven't you ever seen White Man's Burden?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden_(film)
How is this relevant? You are getting off topic and we are not discussing the reasons WHY their crime rates are higher. The fact remains that they are.

Now, when arguing, it is best to stay on topic. Otherwise it just shows that you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion.

By the way, you completely ignored the West Virgina factor.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 05-25-2014 at 01:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,989,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
If people are going to carry sidearms I think they should be visible. Of course this would never work because some people are frightened by the sight of firearms, with good reason. My dad used to wear his .357 on his belt and it was totally visible. I don't see anything wrong with concealed or open carry but it doesn't make me feel any safer. Someone with intent to do harm will do just that regardless if you have a firearm or not. For some criminals it's not the first time someone pointed a gun in their direction.
That's fine. But if someone breaks into my house and is armed, why should I have to sit around and wait while law enforcement shows up? What if my wife is home alone and a man who isn't armed but is 200 lb. of solid muscle tries to attack her? Should she just wait for law enforcement to show up, too? Should we just put up "GUN FREE ZONE" signs at our front door? The logic of "the criminals aren't afraid of guns" is so stupid. I may not be afraid of getting by a bus but if a bus hits me, I am pretty sure that my broken bones and damaged internal organs won't give a **** about how much of a badass I thought I was.

This is where I can't understand this irrational hatred of guns. It's like, anti-gun people somehow forget that the world is full of people bigger and badder than us and we just want to even out the playing field a little bit. So they might shoot back if we shoot. Better me having a gun and risking being the second to shoot than not having a gun and risking not being able to shoot at all. Where is the harm in at least ATTEMPTING to protect yourself? Are we supposed to just be really good at martial arts or something?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's fine. But if someone breaks into my house and is armed, why should I have to sit around and wait while law enforcement shows up? What if my wife is home alone and a man who isn't armed but is 200 lb. of solid muscle tries to attack her? Should she just wait for law enforcement to show up, too? Should we just put up "GUN FREE ZONE" signs at our front door? The logic of "the criminals aren't afraid of guns" is so stupid. I may not be afraid of getting by a bus but if a bus hits me, I am pretty sure that my broken bones and damaged internal organs won't give a **** about how much of a badass I thought I was.

This is where I can't understand this irrational hatred of guns. It's like, anti-gun people somehow forget that the world is full of people bigger and badder than us and we just want to even out the playing field a little bit. So they might shoot back if we shoot. Better me having a gun and risking being the second to shoot than not having a gun and risking not being able to shoot at all. Where is the harm in at least ATTEMPTING to protect yourself? Are we supposed to just be really good at martial arts or something?
I am not anti-gun at all. If someone breaks into you house you do have the right to defend yourself and your family, no doubt. I just don't think arming people is going to stop criminals from committing violent crimes. The have shootouts with other criminals so why would they be afraid of regular people with guns. Just for the record I am not the one that brought race into this conversation, you are. I personally love firearms, and as a hobby I do a little bit of gun smithing on the side. I have just heard to many stories of someone untrained pulling out his concealed carry and shooting the wrong person. The world isn't as dangerous as some people would like to believe in order to justify carrying weapons in inappropriate places. We will never be able to stop random acts of violence. Removing guns won't work either, you will just see more people getting stabbed.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Southern states also have the highest percentage of black population:

It may sound racist () to suggest a connection, but I don't think it's a secret that crime rates are very high for blacks. It stands to reason, that states that are 25%+ black will have higher crime rates.
This is why my comment about the roles being reversed is relevant.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,215,478 times
Why can't we have good gun control laws? Take the guns from people like Adam Lanza and his mother. Let people carry guns who have the experience, training, and common sense, and complete lack of insanity.

One requirement for a CCW license should be that you're either a veteran of a war in which you were on a violent battlefield, or you've had enough training to be able to reliably kill a rattlesnake from 50 feet away, with one shot. Another requirement should be that you've never been convicted of any kind of crime. Another should be that you got good grades in school and have good credit. Because the people who should be allowed to carry concealed weapons should be those who are known to be reliable citizens, and not angry flakes with records of failure. It should maybe even be required that you have children (of any age, including adult) and are not divorced, because parents tend to be more responsible than single people. And you should have no history at all of any kind of drug or alcohol problems.

And people with CCW licenses should be required to carry loaded guns at all times, and to attend training sessions periodically, to keep their licenses. Because, their license would prove they were the type of person we need to have carrying guns, to keep our society safer from crime. It should be considered part of the price you pay for the privilege of having the license.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Why can't we have good gun control laws? Take the guns from people like Adam Lanza and his mother. Let people carry guns who have the experience, training, and common sense, and complete lack of insanity.

One requirement for a CCW license should be that you're either a veteran of a war in which you were on a violent battlefield, or you've had enough training to be able to reliably kill a rattlesnake from 50 feet away, with one shot. Another requirement should be that you've never been convicted of any kind of crime. Another should be that you got good grades in school and have good credit. Because the people who should be allowed to carry concealed weapons should be those who are known to be reliable citizens, and not angry flakes with records of failure. It should maybe even be required that you have children (of any age, including adult) and are not divorced, because parents tend to be more responsible than single people. And you should have no history at all of any kind of drug or alcohol problems.

And people with CCW licenses should be required to carry loaded guns at all times, and to attend training sessions periodically, to keep their licenses. Because, their license would prove they were the type of person we need to have carrying guns, to keep our society safer from crime. It should be considered part of the price you pay for the privilege of having the license.
Where are we gonna get all the rattlesnakes from. HeHe Just kidding. I agree more stringent rules should be in place for handguns and modern sporting rifles with large capacity magazines. Way to easy to get for some. Something like hunter safety classes should be required in order to purchase a firearm. Sitting through three days of classes might deter some people from acquiring a firearm quickly while they aren't thinking rationally. I could hit a rattlesnake at fifty feet with my .357 but I doubt I could pull it of with a semi auto without a few shots. That would be a pretty darn good shot. Does it have to be a head shot?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,302,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am glad I waited and read your reply. I was going to say the same thing. There is a reason they normalize data; to account for population size.
Common sense is not a strong suit for the two of you is it?

Read again ppl per sq mile, what is so frigging hard to understand?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,861,862 times
If the restaurant own had allowed guns and a few patrons were packing it's likely that a shootout would have ensued and several people, employees and other patrons most likely, would have been killed. Better just to hand over the cash and collect the money from the restaurants insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events