Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
If the restaurant own had allowed guns and a few patrons were packing it's likely that a shootout would have ensued and several people, employees and other patrons most likely, would have been killed. Better just to hand over the cash and collect the money from the restaurants insurance company.
I agree with you that something like that could've happened. On the other hand I'm thinking what if the dumb criminals decided to start eliminating a few witnesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:27 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times
I wonder how many casual gun owners even have the strength and aim to succesfully defuse a tricky situation, and also how many people would be honest about being a skilled enough weapons holder to be a hero. Let alone not defaulting to flight mode.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's fine. But if someone breaks into my house and is armed, why should I have to sit around and wait while law enforcement shows up? What if my wife is home alone and a man who isn't armed but is 200 lb. of solid muscle tries to attack her? Should she just wait for law enforcement to show up, too? Should we just put up "GUN FREE ZONE" signs at our front door? The logic of "the criminals aren't afraid of guns" is so stupid. I may not be afraid of getting by a bus but if a bus hits me, I am pretty sure that my broken bones and damaged internal organs won't give a **** about how much of a badass I thought I was.

This is where I can't understand this irrational hatred of guns. It's like, anti-gun people somehow forget that the world is full of people bigger and badder than us and we just want to even out the playing field a little bit. So they might shoot back if we shoot. Better me having a gun and risking being the second to shoot than not having a gun and risking not being able to shoot at all. Where is the harm in at least ATTEMPTING to protect yourself? Are we supposed to just be really good at martial arts or something?
Sure, but can you think of a single time when an armed vigilante saved the day from a shootout or a break in? Sure it may happen sometimes, but it's far outweighed by the damage that easy access to firearms has created. Some people are watching too many movies.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
Quote:
Sure, but can you think of a single time when an armed vigilante saved the day from a shootout or a break in? Sure it may happen sometimes, but it's far outweighed by the damage that easy access to firearms has created. Some people are watching too many movies.
Sure many.....

Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 10,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I wonder how many casual gun owners even have the strength and aim to succesfully defuse a tricky situation, and also how many people would be honest about being a skilled enough weapons holder to be a hero. Let alone not defaulting to flight mode.
Much more often than the amount of gun homicides per year:

Defensive gun use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,701 times
Quote:
Agreed. Only people with tactical training or a fair amount of Krav Maga training a really qualified to handle those situations.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
Quote:
Agreed. Only people with tactical training or a fair amount of Krav Maga training a really qualified to handle those situations.

I guess that's why it happens so often everyday...

Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's fine. But if someone breaks into my house and is armed, why should I have to sit around and wait while law enforcement shows up? What if my wife is home alone and a man who isn't armed but is 200 lb. of solid muscle tries to attack her? Should she just wait for law enforcement to show up, too? Should we just put up "GUN FREE ZONE" signs at our front door? The logic of "the criminals aren't afraid of guns" is so stupid. I may not be afraid of getting by a bus but if a bus hits me, I am pretty sure that my broken bones and damaged internal organs won't give a **** about how much of a badass I thought I was.

This is where I can't understand this irrational hatred of guns. It's like, anti-gun people somehow forget that the world is full of people bigger and badder than us and we just want to even out the playing field a little bit. So they might shoot back if we shoot. Better me having a gun and risking being the second to shoot than not having a gun and risking not being able to shoot at all. Where is the harm in at least ATTEMPTING to protect yourself? Are we supposed to just be really good at martial arts or something?
Its funny how some people are so afraid of an inanimate gun. They even say things like "guns scare me" lol. I dont even begin to understand how you can be afraid of a gun simply because its a gun. Maybe they grew up super sheltered, but you would think they would try to understand guns before forming an opinion. I also see people who are so emotional because they touched/held a gun. Its a piece of metal, no more.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Quote:
Surely, you jest!

Just for starters:

Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder | www.wsbtv.com

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's OK to Shoot - ABC News

Tough-Talking Grandmother Shoots at Home Intruder | Video - ABC News

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...EFE287EF400FD8

Oklahoma Lady Shoots Intruder - Bing Videos

This is just for starters. Vigilantes? Nope. Just decent, law-abiding people protecting themselves and their property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
lolol. See Above ^^^^^^^. Some people need to get out more.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
If we have more guns this will be less likely too happen.
Exactly. If the owners had been armed, or one of the patrons was able to pull out his piece, then this event would have been stooped dead in its tracks.

Or the owner would have been killed fumbling with his six shooter.

We simply don't have enough guns. That is all there is to it.

(Ever notice that we have all these people who just have to walk around with a loaded gun on their person, but none of them ever gets off a shot during a crime? Yeah, I know, they were just acting responsibly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events