Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Wasn't that same trick pulled with the Wisc. teacher strike ?
"Rent a Mob" people bused in complete with picket signs and chanting slogans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wasn't that same trick pulled with the Wisc. teacher strike ?
"Rent a Mob" people bused in complete with picket signs and chanting slogans.
Yep, kinda like Fox news only they care about the working class.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yep, kinda like Fox news only they care about the working class.
Bringing in phony protesters is hardly caring about the working class.
It's more about union organizing and propaganda.

Even the union itself said their main goal is to organize and get those McD's workers into a union.
Higher wages is secondary.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:53 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Odd.

I've never worked for a union, but I am well paid for the work that I do.

I guess some of us are just worth our wage, while others must resort to criminal/near criminal acts for it!

Oh, did I mention in industries where there ARE NO UNIONS (so don't try to pull that "it's because of the union" bunk with me!
I am stunned that someone as well paid as you would want your earnings taxed to pay for food, housing, and medical care for Walmart employees.

Also surprised that you know so little of the history of our nation with regard to the labor movement. Just because you don't work in an industry that that has a union, does not mean that unions did not set the standards for decent pay for employees, including those in your industry.

Think back to the time of the robber barons. Who had the decent paying jobs? Miners and longshoreman earned a little bit of nothing. Doctors often worked for chickens. Bankers lived lives of quiet desperation. People who worked their whole lives ended up on the "poor farm." John D. Rockefeller and his cohorts lived quite well. Plantation owners also. Some business owners. Everyone else scratched away for a meager existence.

As someone pointed out earlier on this thread, if we pay the folks at the bottom run of the ladder a living wage, we'd have to raise the wage for everyone above him. Exactly.

We are returning to a robber baron form of society with the top 1% raking in most of the moolah and the rest of scrambling for a meager existence. Now if you are among that tip top group, in which case I wonder why you're bothering to post on C-D, then hallelujah for you. But if you are work for a paycheck instead of dividends, you may be in a first class cabin, but you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I still shake my head wondering what exactly a McDonald's worker does that justifies a $15/hour wage. Between fry timers and clam grills, the automation in these places has been simplified almost to the point where chimps could be trained to make the food.

Here's a novel idea... Want to make $15/hour? Try going back to school and learning a skill set that is valuable enough that justifies making that kind of money or more. Don't just drop out, settle for a McJob and demand the world owes you something because you made a lot of ****-poor decisions in life.
And I shake my head wondering why you want to pick up part of the tab for cheap hamburgers that other people eat.

Unless, of course, you are a regular at McDonalds, in which case you pay for your burger three ways--once the cash register and twice on April 15th when you pick up their share of the paying for police and fire protection, roads, defense, schools etc. as well as food stamps, housing, medical care.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bringing in phony protesters is hardly caring about the working class.
It's more about union organizing and propaganda.

Even the union itself said their main goal is to organize and get those McD's workers into a union.
Higher wages is secondary.
That may be your perception, but who benefits from being union? The workers, and who benefits without unions? The 1%. So either you support working men and women of American, or the 1%. I've been in the Carpenters union since I was 18 years old and am better for it than had I not. Your attempts to demonize people who work on behalf of working class Americans only comes across as pompous really.

In fact, most likely you're better off because of unions. Do you get overtime after 40 hrs? Do you work 8 hrs a day? Ho hum, more regurgitated sheeple trash talk.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I am stunned that someone as well paid as you would want your earnings taxed to pay for food, housing, and medical care for Walmart employees.
It's not. This often parroted LIE attempts to establish a nonexistent correlation between government bennifits (which I believe should be reduced) and people under (the amount varries) $8/hour, $10/hour, $15/hour, $20/hour etc.... Depending onnthe conversation.
Also surprised that you know so little of the history of our nation with regard to the labor movement. Just because you don't work in an industry that that has a union, does not mean that unions did not set the standards for decent pay for employees, including those in your industry.
no, they didn't. And while I'll agree that unions WERE necessary, their time is long past, they have grown fat and corrupt like te organizations they were originally brought into being to fight, and no longer serve a useful purpose in this country.
Think back to the time of the robber barons. Who had the decent paying jobs? Miners and longshoreman earned a little bit of nothing. Doctors often worked for chickens.My, how you like to rewritten history.... Doctors only worked for chickens in the strictest sense, (when someone might of paid em in livestock.... It's called bartering, they were paid well for their day and age. Bankers lived lives of quiet desperation. More revisionist history from the union lackeys...People who worked their whole lives ended up on the "poor farm." John D. Rockefeller and his cohorts lived quite well. Plantation owners also. Some business owners. Everyone else scratched away for a meager existence.Or not.

As someone pointed out earlier on this thread, if we pay the folks at the bottom run of the ladder a living wage, we'd have to raise the wage for everyone above him. Exactly.exactly. This shows your COMPLETE lack of understanding of basic economics. Let me attempt to educate you (I say attempt as I doubt it will stick) if wages go up, the prices of goods and services go up. Wages will NEVER move in lockstep, but will always be slightly behind, you are advocating COSTS be increased, causing people to fall behind more and faster. Also, TAXES (as a % will subsequently increase. Resulting in EVERYONE being a new looser. GREAT PLAN (note the scarcasm!)

We are returning to a robber baron form of society with the top 1% raking in most of the moolah and the rest of scrambling for a meager existence. Now if you are among that tip top group, in which case I wonder why you're bothering to post on C-D, then hallelujah for you. But if you are work for a paycheck instead of dividends, you may be in a first class cabin, but you're in the same boat as the rest of us.
I'm not, I'm in the "I only work a few months/year because when I work I make enough and from my time in the Marine Corps and in combat I've learned that life's about more than the rat race" catagory.

You seem to be unable to grasp one truism:
Good help is hard to find. (good help will be PAID to stick around.)... So if your willing to work, a government mandated minimum wage is unnecessary. (or a union mandated extortion wage..... Unions being in cahoots with government)

If people like you ACTUALLY BELIEVED this drivial.... You'd be pushing for a $100/hour wage.

WHY NOT (if true)!?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
A secret report was uncovered later that showed McDonalds could handle an increase in the minimum wage to $10.10. Actually that was the present value of minimum wage in 1968, so no surprising. No mention of increasing to $15.00, which is very unlikely any time soon.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A secret report was uncovered later that showed McDonalds could handle an increase in the minimum wage to $10.10. Actually that was the present value of minimum wage in 1968, so no surprising. No mention of increasing to $15.00, which is very unlikely any time soon.
Link??

Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm not, I'm in the "I only work a few months/year because when I work I make enough and from my time in the Marine Corps
So you live off of a military/government pension.

What do you think soldiers were paid before unions?

What were the pensions like back then, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events