Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM

10,220 posts, read 19,145,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
That's odd, because for most of American urban development up until the early 20th century (particularly in those cities with a significant black population), the relatively poor servant class either lived in rear alley dwellings behind wealthy homes or lived in the same home as the wealthy families altogether.
There's a difference between the servant class (which essentially no longer exists) and the welfare class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,946,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's a difference between the servant class (which essentially no longer exists) and the welfare class.
It almost seems like the servant class still exists, but is just structured different with the "servants" being "shared" by many and employed by a third party. Most people may not have their own cooks, maids, etc., but I can't help but see those who cook and package ready-to-eat food at the grocery store for you, maid services, lawn/landscaping services, and restaurant servers as the modern "servant class".

Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,624,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbolboy View Post
Housing Preservation and Development Commissioner Vicki Been said the plan to build 80,000 new affordable apartments and preserve 120,000 units would create a more diverse city.

Link:
Read more: City plans to attack economic segregation by moving poor into middle-class neighborhoods, richer into poverty spots - NY Daily News
Sounds like a good idea. I think it might help enlighten some of the up-tight, close-minded, bigoted "rich" people.

Some of the nastiest people I have met were wealthy. It might be helpful for them to live around some "poor" people, whom I have usually found to be nicer, more honest, and more hard-working than entitled "job creators."

Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,049,530 times
Most people want to make money in life so they can get away from the low-lifes.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,257,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Maybe seeing people doing better than them every day will get them to be better.
What??, did you pick up the liberal playbook from the 60's? Spoiler alert → It didn't work.

The new line is, "everybody deserves the lifestyle of the rich". That way no results are measured.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,758,885 times
It's all part of the well-documented scheme to "redistribute" people--there's an entire agenda to make areas more diverse by zip code.

Then, when people who moved into neighborhoods for which they pay beaucoup taxes beef about it, they can be called intolerant, racists, etc. Memo to the PTB: Dropping people into better neighborhoods does not solve their problems. The problems come with them.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,758,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I think it might help enlighten some of the up-tight, close-minded, bigoted "rich" people.

Some of the nastiest people I have met were wealthy. It might be helpful for them to live around some "poor" people, whom I have usually found to be nicer, more honest, and more hard-working than entitled "job creators."

OK, we get it. You live in a poor neighborhood riddled with crime and abject poverty--the kind that the architects of the scheme want to move people out of. It's a free country, and people should be able to live where they want to live as long as they're paying for it.

P.S. If you don't live in that type of neighborhood, why not?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,894,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbolboy View Post
Housing Preservation and Development Commissioner Vicki Been said the plan to build 80,000 new affordable apartments and preserve 120,000 units would create a more diverse city.

Link:
Read more: City plans to attack economic segregation by moving poor into middle-class neighborhoods, richer into poverty spots - NY Daily News
I think it's a good idea AS LONG AS the low-income ppl are scattered throughout the middle class/rich areas in lower concentrations, so it would be harder for them to congregate with each other and create the same kind of environment as in their community of origin.

The reality is that as a child you really have zero control over:
- What neighborhood you happen to be born into.
- Who your parent/s happen to be and how much they make.
- What school system you happen to attend.
- What environment you happen to be brought up in.

.... So society should be taking steps to make sure as many people as possible can have a fair chance in life.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,585,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't know about this. Why GIVE some people affordable homes in better neighborhoods? Isn't that part of the "let me git dat" problem that makes people unmotivated to earn things?

Lets face it, the middle and upper class want to separate themselves from those that languish in poverty. Moving these people into better neighborhoods will likely lower property values and raise crime which will cause the wealthy to move somewhere else. If those with money wanted diversity, they would volunteer to move to poorer areas.
Class+racial strife is the weapon of the progressive.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

483 posts, read 689,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's all part of the well-documented scheme to "redistribute" people--there's an entire agenda to make areas more diverse by zip code.

Then, when people who moved into neighborhoods for which they pay beaucoup taxes beef about it, they can be called intolerant, racists, etc. Memo to the PTB: Dropping people into better neighborhoods does not solve their problems. The problems come with them.
I thought the middle class in NYC was already doing that involuntarily in regards to the hideous rents? Especially the singletons. "Brooklyn as steep as Manhattan" and all that. The hectic neighborhoods I've seen random Internet dudes advising people to consider buying in because they're "a great investment"... maybe the mayor should consider enforcing loitering laws first. There are a great many neighborhoods I'd help "gentrify" if walking down their streets didn't scare me solid, some of my friends are even afraid to walk down the streets of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events