U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM

12,132 posts, read 5,711,423 times

Advertisements

I thought it was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,642,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
lolz. and you see what happened to the Chechens or Afghans or Iraqis when they resisted?

If you think you're little basement arsenal is any match for an AC-130 or an arty battalion well, you keep on keeping on brother. Good luck with that.
Look what happened to Viet Nam when they resisted. Afghanistan is known as "the graveyard of empires." They beat the Raj, they beat the Russians, and they are beating the Americans. The Chechens, by contrast, were disarmed by their government and easy victims for genocide.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,285,898 times
Why couldn't he have hired a hooker to lose his virginity????

Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM

4,271 posts, read 5,021,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I haven't read all this thread but I will go back and look over the posts. I'm a non-American and don't understand how someone like this young man who had problems can just go in to a shop and buy military weapons. That is just mind boggling. It is also mostly kids and university students getting slaughtered.

Americans seem to want to keep their guns no matter what happens which is difficult for people in other countries to understand. In the US if someone has road rage I'd be scared to even look at them as they are most likely to be armed and blow your head off. I'd rather live in a society with very tightly controlled gun laws.

Another thing is that the gun lobby is way too powerful in the US. How did that happen? Any politician wanting to make changes for a safer society has their hands tied behind their backs. Nothing will be done like all the other times and we'll be discussing this soon again unfortunately.
We have something called the Constitution in this country, and one of the protections citizens have is the right to bear arms. Other countries don't have such a provision.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM

4,271 posts, read 5,021,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yeah well whatever.

See y'all at the next mass shooting where I will pop up and point out the obvious once again.

One day it'll sink in.
You don't want people in the U.S. to have the right to bear arms? Simple, amend the Constitution. You can't just ignore it because you don't like it. Also, have fun with getting that amended.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 PM

14,260 posts, read 13,810,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You don't want people in the U.S. to have the right to bear arms? Simple, amend the Constitution. You can't just ignore it because you don't like it. Also, have fun with getting that amended.
I don't believe that was her point. Lawmakers Push for Gun Violence Restraining Order - NBC News

Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,198,725 times
Good article on how ER was perceived by others growing up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/us...ithdrawal.html

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM

6,967 posts, read 8,971,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Federal privacy laws make it illegal to release patient information without their written consent. This includes mental health issues. Rodgers could be out baying at the moon, but his background check would come back clean. That needs to be remedied, but how to do that without branding innocent people as crazy is a thorny question.
The problem here is that he gets to CHOOSE whether to say he has been in mental health treatment. And for someone who is dangerously unbalanced and has never sought treatment or could never afford it and has now reached the breaking point, the future killer can say, hey man, look at all my records, I don't care! I'm clean!

In a country with sensible gun laws like Canada's, he would have to be mentally examined in order to get a gun permit, regardless of what he wants to see happen. No evaluation = no gun. It doesn't matter what your previous records say. And if being in treatment = being branded crazy then we might as well all throw in the towel right now.

Last edited by Cliffie; 06-02-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,392,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
In a country with sensible gun laws like Canada's, he would have to be mentally examined in order to get a gun permit, regardless of what he wants to see happen. No evaluation = no gun.
In essence, the government could then deny guns for any reason including political.

"Dear sir, according to our studies, people who join and/or donate to the TEA Party tend to be anti-social and after conducting our examination, your petition for a gun license has been denied."

My guess is the German government could have made a blanket diagnosis of Jews having limited mental capacity in the late 1930's. Stalin could have done the same for any number of groups.

The Bill Of Rights is to protect the citizens from the government not other citizens or other nations. The Second Amendment was not put there to allow citizens to have guns to stop robbers from entering their homes. It was put there for citizens to protect themselves from the government. Giving the government such a broad scope in terms of limiting this protection is counter to the Bill Of Rights.

I can agree that if you are involuntarily committed to a mental facility you should have to undergo an examination prior to getting a weapons permit, but that's as far as I'd go.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In essence, the government could then deny guns for any reason including political.

"Dear sir, according to our studies, people who join and/or donate to the TEA Party tend to be anti-social and after conducting our examination, your petition for a gun license has been denied."

My guess is the German government could have made a blanket diagnosis of Jews having limited mental capacity in the late 1930's. Stalin could have done the same for any number of groups.

The Bill Of Rights is to protect the citizens from the government not other citizens or other nations. The Second Amendment was not put there to allow citizens to have guns to stop robbers from entering their homes. It was put there for citizens to protect themselves from the government. Giving the government such a broad scope in terms of limiting this protection is counter to the Bill Of Rights.

I can agree that if you are involuntarily committed to a mental facility you should have to undergo an examination prior to getting a weapons permit, but that's as far as I'd go.
Hogwash, and just an excuse to do nothing, and continue selling guns to felons at will as is the status quo, and as proven. Clearly and mental health issue was at hand and LEO's failed. Too bad the claim of and individuals rights won't return the dead to their families. Any argument that collateral deaths are acceptable is stupidly at its highest level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events