Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Blaming rap is sooo 2004. It's now all about blaming Obama.
**Chuckles**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:27 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Psychiatrists will even admit they can't cure or even really treat psychopath-sociopaths, NPDs, and borderline personalities. That's because these people know what they're doing, they choose to do what they do, they're in control completely, they even know what they're doing is bad or evil but they want to do it anyway. They are most often a type of nihilists. They believe in nothing, they believe in no right or wrong. It's a choice they make to believe in nothing.

That's...chilling.

Question- if psychiatrists admit such, why are they so adamant about placing these labels on people? What exactly do these descriptions accomplish if much can't be done about them?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
That's...chilling.

Question- if psychiatrists admit such, why are they so adamant about placing these labels on people? What exactly do these descriptions accomplish if much can't be done about them?
It's not like psychiatrists run around in public placing these labels on people. People come to them for treatment, and the psychiatrist attempts to make a diagnosis.

All of these disorders fall along a range, borderline personality disorder, narcissistic, sociopathy, psychopathy. Most politicians and successful CEOs have fairly narcissistic personalities and elements of sociopathy; that's well known. And these disorders are treatable to a certain extent, except probably psychopathy.

Psychiatric diagnoses, unlike most other medical diagnoses, are socially determined. It used to be someone was considered possessed or an oracle, or they had the wrong bodily 'humors' circulating in their bodies. There is still no blood test or sound diagnostic medical test for most psychiatric conditions. These classifications are determined by committee every few years, a highly charged political process.(DSM V) They change throughout history. Psychiatry has a lot of problems as a medical field.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,542 times
Aren't there laws about protecting the privacy/identity of minors who commit crimes? What if there was a law that kept the identity of serial killers secret? This could reduce the amount of copy cat whack jobs. Banning guns won't work, cops can't be everywhere (NSA maybe ) and there seems to be a distinct shortage of CCWers in the right place at the right time.
If these nutters do have a common psych profile, I wonder what type of media portrayal they would find least compelling?

I'm not a lawyer (obviously) and I've been drinking heavily so I haven't fully thought out the implications. (can't cork social media...) That's your job fellow CDers.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:21 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Blaming rap is sooo 2004. It's now all about blaming Obama.
Or virgins.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
I haven't read all this thread but I will go back and look over the posts. I'm a non-American and don't understand how someone like this young man who had problems can just go in to a shop and buy military weapons. That is just mind boggling. It is also mostly kids and university students getting slaughtered.

Americans seem to want to keep their guns no matter what happens which is difficult for people in other countries to understand. In the US if someone has road rage I'd be scared to even look at them as they are most likely to be armed and blow your head off. I'd rather live in a society with very tightly controlled gun laws.

Another thing is that the gun lobby is way too powerful in the US. How did that happen? Any politician wanting to make changes for a safer society has their hands tied behind their backs. Nothing will be done like all the other times and we'll be discussing this soon again unfortunately.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Ditto for reading the entire thread, might later.

Were those in this incident stabbed to death less dead because a knife was used?

Just wondering how the whole parsing of killing seems to work. Weren't the first people to be killed, three students knifed to death in their apartment? I guess to the gun control people, the only death that matters are those involving guns.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that had the perpetrator stopped after stabbing 3 to death, the gun control people wouldn't even register sympathy.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Let's recall, please, that when the news media first reported this story (and the thread was started), the method the suspect used to murder his first three victims had not even been released yet. At that point, all anybody knew was that there had been a spree of shootings in Isla Vista. And, Mack, the vast majority of discussion about this tragedy has revolved around the mental state of the perpetrator. Very little has been about gun control, so your post is more indicative of your political agenda than anybody else's.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I haven't read all this thread but I will go back and look over the posts. I'm a non-American and don't understand how someone like this young man who had problems can just go in to a shop and buy military weapons. That is just mind boggling. It is also mostly kids and university students getting slaughtered.

Americans seem to want to keep their guns no matter what happens which is difficult for people in other countries to understand. In the US if someone has road rage I'd be scared to even look at them as they are most likely to be armed and blow your head off. I'd rather live in a society with very tightly controlled gun laws.

Another thing is that the gun lobby is way too powerful in the US. How did that happen? Any politician wanting to make changes for a safer society has their hands tied behind their backs. Nothing will be done like all the other times and we'll be discussing this soon again unfortunately.
Violent crime has been steadily declining for decades in the U.S, while gun ownership numbers have been steadily increasing. Also, violent crime is rarely, rarely committed by concealed weapon permit holders.

There are 20,000 gun laws on the books at the moment. We have so many that we can't even enforce them all, yet these dingbats want to keep adding more legislation like it's going to accomplish anything.

And for the record, a pistol is not a "military weapon", nor is a semi automatic rifle. Military rifles are select fire, and can pump out +-800 rounds per minute. Big difference.

We Americans who are educated in history understand why an armed society is so important. The only reason America exists is because we fought off foreign a-holes trying to force a constrictive government on us (the very reason we left for America in the first place) with our hunting muskets and guerrilla warfare. One of the straws that broke the camels back was when they tried to take our guns away.

And for those who think that small arms and sneaky tactics are no match for modern armies, go tell that to all the U.S troops who have been fighting cave-dwelling insurgents armed with ak's and homemade bombs. They have been a huge pain to deal with. Then go tell the vietnam vets the same thing.

If the government gets out of hand, American citizens can and would deal with it. Even if only a small portion of citizens actually fought, they would still be hundreds of thousands strong. And 100,000's of armed pissed off people is a force to be reckoned with, I believe the U.S armed forces only amount to 10,000 or so. Also, lest we forget, the U.S armed forces swore to uphold the constitution, not the whims of politicians. Big difference.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
That's...chilling.

By grouping people with similar symptoms, researchers can isolate patterns, create sample groups, test hypotheses, and hopefully develop treatments that may one day help those with these types of mental illnesses.

I have a close relative with severe mental illness. I am very grateful to researchers who labeled those with similar symptoms in years past, because the anti-psychotics that arose from their work now allow my relative to lead a fairly normal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events