U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Should the campus shooter been charged as a juvenile if he survived? That's the only logical conclusion you can come up with if you want to call him a child/kid like every single media outlet and social media outlet is calling him
No, I have not observed "every single media outlet and social media outlet" calling this man a "kid." I don't pay any attention to the different opinion pundits--they don't say anything worth listening to, anyway. But I have not seen any actual news story calling him a "kid"--the only references I've seen to him in news stories have been "student" and "man."

I do agree, however, that from the Boomer generation on, there has been an effort to extend childhood as long as possible. That's why it annoys me to see Boomer men still dressing like adolescent boys instead of like adults.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM

726 posts, read 664,332 times
physically he was a man, mentally he was clearly an adolescent.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
You know, I think one of the worst things the educational system in this country has done is abet adolescence stretching out to about age 25. A century ago, a graduate of eighth grade or high school had the skills to feed and raise a family. Today? No.

Want a bit of perspective? I watched Ken Burns' The War a few years ago on PBS. There were all these guys interviewed who did all kinds of difficult things under terrible circumstances and did them well. Yet they were only 18 or 20. Compare that to today.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
It's totally irrelevant. Or, should be.

No laws should exclude or include a subsection of society.

Each case should be decided on its own factors, not some blanket ruling regarding age.

Get rid of discriminatory laws and the problem of how to charge someone of a perceived minority, is solved.

Charge them APPROPRIATELY - not "one size fits all". Surely our judiciary can manage that...indeed, isn't it what they're paid for...?

ETA: in this case, the shooter is vile, full of hatred, a sociopath at the very least. He should face Murder One due to the planning and pride with which he committed his crimes.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,209,766 times
I heard CNN refer to him as a kid as well yesterday. To people that are over the age of 40, 22 is a kid. I'm 23 and recently a 30 year old man called me a kid because I am college age and he was older.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,230,089 times
Possibly.

Taylor Swift - 22 - YouTube

Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 PM

513 posts, read 556,940 times
He never worked a job, had to pay bills, went on first class trips on his parents dime, bragged about "dressing nice" in designer clothes and $300 sunglasses (parents again), had a $40,000 car, lived rent free, went to college for free, etc. How can anyone that lives that life think of it as "hard" and "poor me"..? Maybe if the parents cut him off and made him work for what he needed and he wasn't such a DB then people would have been his friend. I've met people who had "daddy and mommy" pay for stuff and brag about what they had and I couldn't stand to be around them. Working gives you meaning in life and is the place where I met most of my friends, outside my neighborhood and school growing up.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 PM

7,596 posts, read 5,105,718 times
It really doesn't matter what CNN or any of the other so-called news outlets call him. In the eyes of the law he would have been considered an adult and tried accordingly. There's a good chance that even if he had been under 21 & not legally an adult, he still could, and probably would, have been tried as an adult considering the premeditated nature of the crime.
The news pundits always have to put some spin or flavor to the story to justify all the airtime they waste.
When the crap gets to deep, I use that nifty little thing called the off-button.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It really doesn't matter what CNN or any of the other so-called news outlets call him. In the eyes of the law he would have been considered an adult and tried accordingly. There's a good chance that even if he had been under 21 & not legally an adult, he still could, and probably would, have been tried as an adult considering the premeditated nature of the crime.
The news pundits always have to put some spin or flavor to the story to justify all the airtime they waste.
When the crap gets to deep, I use that nifty little thing called the off-button.
In all states, any person 18 or older will automatically be criminally charged as an adult. Twenty-year-olds don't go to into "juvie" anywhere.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Nope. Old enough to drink, vote, buy a house, serve in the military, own a gun...that's a grownup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or