Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:52 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I hope you get that I was agreeing with you. I wasn't being sarcastic. ;-)
My bad- snarkiness and sarcasm is not unheard of in this realm.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Some of You people scare the hell out of me.... Vet or not some of you are so programmed it is not funny. You can make any excuse you want for illegals to be here but it is BS they can fill out the forms to become citizens like many before them had to do. Until then cry me a river they are doing something illegal and we still treat them with respect as should be they are human beings.

If we can't have a Marine treated with respect in a foreign country that made a mistake, then all of America should be ashamed. After all we do for the many who come here and expect all taken care of which we do.... If they can do that to an American and many of you sit there and think it is fine, then we really are headed down to third world status.

If you don't want to help him or sign a petition, of course your choice your opinion. Sad day in America. He was a young man who is a Marine ( with the intent to protect and serve), he is not a illegal or hooligan, he is not a despot. He made a mistake and needs to be out of there and back home.
Already been there too long. The Sate Dept. should've had our marine back a long time ago.

Mexico is a dirtbag country with dirtbag laws and dirtbag policies.

Chit, you can't even drink the water.

When you get out of the resort areas, you can't even flush the tp down the toilet.

They just throw it in the trash.

Nasty dirtbag country.

I'd rather visit Beirut.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:27 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If he's suffering from PTSD then why is he carrying any guns at all. There has to be more to this story than we're told.
Mexico is super strict about guns.

Yeah, especially when it come to Fast & Furious.

Wonderful upstanding government there.......blame the victim.

Old adage:

While traveling in Mexico and you see a dead body on the side of the road......keep going.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Once you miss the sign (that was very tiny and easy to miss at the time of the incident) you're SOL. You can't change lanes or turn around after that point, so by the time all of those huge signs are there, it's too late. That was the accidental part. He missed the u-turn point and then had no other option but to cross the border.
This is patently untrue. I have incorrectly driven up to a border checkpoint twice myself (In my case, I intended to be there, but realized upon arrival that I had forgotten my ID). There is always a way to turn the vehicle around, because there is always a chance of being refused entry. If it is not obviously posted, you just tell the guards and they conduct you to it.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:39 PM

534 posts, read 904,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
This post isn't for any political attacks. So please refrain from that. It is just to let everyone know that there is presently a US Marine who is being held in jail in Mexico for crossing the border accidently and was not allowed to turn around. He had 3 legally purchased guns in his truck with receipts, missed the turn, called 911 to tell them he had made a mistake and then he was arrested. The tapes have been play on TV and it is obvious he called, he was asking for help, it was a mistake and this is what Mexico is doing to him. He was in San Diego for treatment for PTSD when this happened.

He was stripped, beaten and chained to his bed and has been there for over 2 months. This is a 2 Afghanistan tour active duty Marine who is being treated like this.

We all know how we treat Mexicans who illegally come into this country and this is how they treat US Marines.

Here is the link to a petition that is going to be handed to the Mexican Ambassador to let him know Americans will not tolerate a Marine/US citizen be treated like this.

Please consider signing it.

Thank you

Bill O'Reilly: Petition
Why do these gun nuts want special attention when they screw up? What, this dude couldn't read a GPS or plan ahead to ship the guns where he was going? Why do Americans feel entitled to break other countries laws and then scream to Faux news so the right wing whirlwind of paranoia can be further inflamed?. Should we let casual drug users off the hook as easily? Just because a person enlisted in the service doesn't make them entitled to special privilege. There's a lot of stupid in the military just like everywhere else.

Do the crime pay the time

Old 05-31-2014, 05:51 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is patently untrue. I have incorrectly driven up to a border checkpoint twice myself (In my case, I intended to be there, but realized upon arrival that I had forgotten my ID). There is always a way to turn the vehicle around, because there is always a chance of being refused entry. If it is not obviously posted, you just tell the guards and they conduct you to it.
I hadn't known that, although it makes sense. Although at this point, would you already have crossed the border? I'm thinking if the guy did say something and the guards got suspicious, could he have been denied a chance to turn around? I've heard different versions of what happened on local news stations, but I thought after crossing he'd been referred to a secondary inspection, where they found the guns.

I haven't seen the pictures of the cardboard signs that the OP refers to, but the news did show that after this story aired, more temporary electronic signs went up along the freeway (like CalTrans traffic signs, I think).

Old 05-31-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I hadn't known that, although it makes sense. Although at this point, would you already have crossed the border?
Not if you do it immediately upon reaching the checkpoint. You'd still be on the US side. It's entirely possible you might be detained if your behavior was suspicious, but it's not as though they can force you to cross the border without an extradition agreement, so you'd be detained on US soil.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yup. This. Could have played out something like ...

Border Patrol: Sir, you can't stop here. You're holding up traffic.

Marine: I apologize sir, but I've made a wrong turn and cannot cross into Mexico. I am a former Marine and have three legally owned firearms in my vehicle, and we both know it is illegal for me to enter Mexico with guns. I would appreciate your assistance since I cannot proceed any further.

Border Patrol: Sigh. Wait here. We will assist you in turning around.
Not to defend this idiot, but a situation like that did actually happened.

Truck driver carrying $100k in ammo arrested after making wrong turn into Mexico

by Carina Sonn
Posted on May 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Updated Friday, May 4 at 2:14 PM

PHOENIX -- A Valley businessman is out $100,000 after a truck carrying his ammunition made a wrong turn in Texas. The driver is now in a Mexican prison.

Jabin Bogan, 27, was driving a load of ammunition from Tennessee to Phoenix, with a stop in El Paso, when he took a wrong turn.

Stuck in border traffic, Bogan was forced to go all the way into Mexico.

Bogan's attorney said a U.S. Customs agent told Bogan he could take a U-turn once in Mexico, but when he tried to come back, Mexican border agents searched the truck, which contained 27,000 rounds of ammunition. It's against Mexico's firearms law to bring ammo into the country without prior permission. Bogan was arrested.

Truck driver carrying $100k in ammo arrested after making wrong turn into Mexico | azfamily.com Phoenix

Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Not if you do it immediately upon reaching the checkpoint. You'd still be on the US side.
I don't believe that is correct. Once you reach the check point you have crossed the border. In some cases even before you reach the check point you have crossed the border. Since the check point is not exactly on the border.

If you look at the picture below, there is a diagonal line across the roadway. That is the border. Once you cross that line, there is no turning around. You are in Mexico, and you are under Mexican law. Notice the white posts after that, that prevent you from changing lanes or turning around. Thats the point of no return.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 AM

Yeah, and notice the guards walking around there. It's not that hard to flag one down and let them know you need to turn about rather than cross. Getting across the lanes of traffic is a PITA but there are breaks in the barriers to the left. Anyway, you just reinforced my point, which is that you can't just accidentally drive across, the border is really freaking obvious and well-marked, and there's a checkpoint at which you have to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events