Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Good enough to know he was selling meth, and was armed. But if you approve of felons with guns selling meth feel free to demonize the good guys.
One meth dealer off the streets but for how long with our revolving door justice system ?

Of course I don't approve of felons selling meth.
It's that this is just another botched up no-knock raid.

Was it really worth it ?

Toddler critically burned when police stun grenade lands in crib | www.wsbtv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You might want to link to a local article, with more details:
Toddler critically injured by
The target of the raid "wasn’t a stranger to ... police ... during a prior arrest on drug charges, investigators discovered ... weapons, including an AK-47."
When drug dealers have military-grade weapons, and are still on the street, police have to act to protect themselves. I'm not a big fan of 3 A.M. raids, but I also don't want to read about raids turning into gun battles.

Just baby killing ones, right?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
THANK YOU. And weren't there a couple of other kids there, too? The parents of those kids should be in jail for endangerment.

By that logic...If you are walking with your kids down the street when a car hops the curb and kills your kids - it's your fault?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Somebody drank the Kool-Aid!
When the police are raiding your drug den for the second time, and they found an AK-47 the first time, you are a terrorist!

How does one go from drug dealer to terrorist in a matter of hours or days? Better yet...what would constitute the person being a terrorist? By actions alone, the police are more terrorist than the meth dealer.
An AK-47 leaning in a corner is far different than a stun grenade lobbed into a baby crib. Both weapons only work in the hands of a human and the AK-47 was in no way near taking anyone's life.
If that was my residence and they had broken down the door they asked for the business end of the AK.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,693,765 times
In practical terms I see no difference between the SWAT teams and the other home invasion criminals. They are all doing the same things. Often the government SWAT teams are careless and almost never accountable to an outside civilian board. Too many mistakes for good Americans to continue to support this program.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
It's called "collateral damage." As tragic as this incident is, it was executed at a known drug house where undercover officers had previously made buys and automatic weapons were known to be present.

The blame for this incident should not fall on the SWAT team and drug enforcement officers, but on the perps who put that child in harms way in the first place.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
By that logic...If you are walking with your kids down the street when a car hops the curb and kills your kids - it's your fault?
Give me a freakin' break!

Do you know anything about the meth epidemic? Do you have any idea how it screws up the thinking of normal adults? I can give you THOUSANDS of examples where otherwise "good" parents put their kids at risk of death, all for the high of meth. It's a nasty drug that completely destroys every sensible, reasonable mind process.

MAKE NO MISTAKE: Any "parent" who subjects their child to that environment is completely bankrupt, both morally and spiritually and guilty as hell.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Ever hear of a case where the cops were at the wrong address when they executed their no knock warrant? It has happened before. Or how about the case where the cops gun fired while executing a warrant in the middle of the night and a young child in the residence was killed. Another tragic case. I don't believe the suspect was home in that case either. People need to keep these things in mind. It wasn't until a good number of innocent people were killed over many years time that some police agencies began to change their pursuit policies. Major law suits were the driving factor behind the changes in police policy. The same might apply to these kinds of situations where more defined policies need to be established.

The parents were aware of the fact someone living in the residence was a drug dealer and the dangers involved. Moving the child to another room doesn't remove the danger as we clearly have seen. Still they stayed on. They would have been safer going to a church shelter and seeking temporary accommodations. The suspect they were after wasn't even in the house at the time of the raid. Cops said they were unaware of a child in the residence, that infor by their upstanding informant that had not seen a child during drug buys. That doesn't mean a child or say an elderly bed-ridden person wasn't occupying the house but not in sight. The snitch just didn't happen to see a child so they took his word for it. People of the community have the right to be asking questions about their police departments procedures and wanting a complete explanation of the incident. The parents also are accountable in my opinion. They knew the risks and still put their child in the den of a drug dealer. And they may have known of this dealers past record, which dates back to 2002, before ever going to Georgia. Pity it's so often the children that are the innocent victims.

And what really burns me is that the system failed the citizens by letting this guy out on bond for an October 2013 possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony charge -- the felony being distribution of methamphetamine. Where is the outrage at letting this violent person back out on the streets? If he had been denied bond, this raid would have never happened. Think back to the Hadiya Pendleton case, one of the two thugs was out on bail for a weapons charge. Had he not been given bond, she might be alive today.

Why couldn't they have set a big buy up at some secluded location and then taken the guy into custody, away from the residence and a neighborhood. He has been free on bond since October of last year so they had time on their side and it wasn't like he was leaving the area or the country. Had he been home, it may have still become a fire fight or him using those inside as hostages. Very poor planning and judgement that resulted in an innocent child being critically injured.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
although I don't support the war on drugs, I'm not going to get caught up in media sensationalism either. At worst I think meth users should have their children away but outside that I support the right of people to mess up their lives as much as they want as long as we don't have to pay them welfare services or food stamps while they are doing it. The cost of housing people in prison for 'drug crimes' which makes up fully half our prison population, is far higher than the cost of rehabilitation, not to mention it just turns these people into career criminals and makes them addicted to the prison system and a life of crime in a never ending cycle.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:58 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,247 times
Aren't they supposed to roll these things into rooms instead of throwing them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events