U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:10 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,178,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Maybe it was a pit bull. Once a pit bull locks its jaws there is no going back. I think the officers were in the right here.
FYI, pit bulls don't lock their jaws. That is a myth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,415,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
FYI, pit bulls don't lock their jaws. That is a myth.
Agreed. This is from the ASPCA website.

"Pit bulls have locking jaws!” This is patently false. There is nothing unique about the anatomy of pit bull jaws. They do not “lock.” The pit bull’s fighting style, like that of other terriers, usually involves grabbing and shaking. Perhaps because of their hunting and bull-baiting history, some pit bulls also have a tendency to grab and hold on with determination. This does not mean that they can’t or won’t let go of another dog once they bite. However, because they’re powerful dogs, pit bulls do have strong jaw muscles.

The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA

Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,877,350 times
Thats just what the pit bulls want you to think, but trust me they do. Ive seen it in action. There is no stopping a pit bull once it locks its jaws onto its prey. At that point, no one is safe.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,908,053 times
Whenever 911 is called, whether accidentally or on purpose, count on the cops coming. I lived in an apartment once, and heard a blood-curdling scream outside my door midnight one night: "aaaaaaahhhh! he's got a knife!". I quickly dialed 911. Seconds later, I heard laughing. The "kids" nextdoor were having a party. I told the operator to please ignore it, with an explanation. Then I hung up. Seconds later, it was the 911 operator checking to make sure I wasn't under duress to call them off. Explained again that it was OK. 4 minutes later, two squadcars pulled up with lights and sirens. Next thing I know, they're taking two guys in handcuffs down the stairs.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM

30,573 posts, read 9,141,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Thats just what the pit bulls want you to think, but trust me they do. Ive seen it in action. There is no stopping a pit bull once it locks its jaws onto its prey. At that point, no one is safe.

Here we go again. Who knew that the oft-repeated phrase "like a dog with a bone" has referred solely to pit bulls since its inception?

Any breed of dog (and mixed breeds), like wolves, are capable of grabbing their prey and not letting go.

Yeesh.

P.S. There's already an "I Hate Pit Bulls" thread elsewhere on the board.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:02 AM
YAZ

7,069 posts, read 11,457,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Here we go again. Who knew that the oft-repeated phrase "like a dog with a bone" has referred solely to pit bulls since its inception?
And hardly cognizant of human thoughts.....

Old 06-03-2014, 12:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,713,895 times
Have we EVER found a story where a burglar brought a dog? If a cop enters my house and shoots my dog, I'm pressing civil charges. He can come in when he is invited. Oh, the front door was open, no one responds to call outs, sit your ass down in the car and wait. Animal control can handle the dog. Quite simply, if a cop can't handle a dog without shooting, that pansy won't be able to take down an unarmed man without shooting. I'd rather have tougher cops.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,415,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Have we EVER found a story where a burglar brought a dog? If a cop enters my house and shoots my dog, I'm pressing civil charges. He can come in when he is invited. Oh, the front door was open, no one responds to call outs, sit your ass down in the car and wait. Animal control can handle the dog. Quite simply, if a cop can't handle a dog without shooting, that pansy won't be able to take down an unarmed man without shooting. I'd rather have tougher cops.
really? Sit in their car and wait? They were responding to a robbery call and see the door open. Who is to say that you aren't being held at gunpoint somewhere in the house. I hope you never have to call 911 for any reason.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,532,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if you are the cop going into a residence that appears to be broken into with unknown risks, you're going to be ready with a non-lethal option?
Well, yes, actually. I am not a cop, but was an MP for a few years, and have some combat time, and combat rules of engagement appear to be more restrictive than current police policy on the use of force. Your weapon as a cop or MP is for self defense, not offense.

Your JOB is to deescalate situations, show a presence, and investigate events, not kill things. Some times you have no option, and in self defense have to kill, I have no issue with that, but it appears from reporting that this is becoming a first option, if not a preferred option for dealing with dogs.

I acknowledge it could be a function of getting more attention by reporters than an actual change in the frequency of killing dogs, but it seems to be in the news a LOT more than in the past.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,928,694 times
The last dog shooting thread I remember involved a Rott, that had gotten out of its owners car. It was in Hawthorne CA. There was a video, and it was damning to the cops. The dog had not attacked, it was merely trying to to its owner. The cop that shot it actually grabbed the dogs collar and pumped three rounds gangster style. The dog ran off and died thrashing on the pavement. A dog in attack mode would not have backed off even when shot. Especially a Rott. That was an execution. There's WAY more to that story though.

Cops do tend to go lethal on dogs as SOP. for one thing, they can. With impunity. So they do. I have yet to see a case where a cop shot a dog result in any action against the officer/s. And there have been a lot of cases just around here. Its funny. Strange funny. The cops are the only ones who can do that. Gas deliverymen, and such can't just kill a dog even if its loose and aggressive. I know. Did that job. And people can be very stupid in how they "restrain" their dogs, like actually chaining them to the LP tank. The obligation to retreat was mine, unless cornered. But I didn't ever ha e much to fight with either. Except my delivery nozzle. People are known to be careless with how they keep their dogs. The cops are going to go lethal on anything over a certain size, out of hand. SOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or