U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM

7,163 posts, read 5,971,045 times

Advertisements

police keep doing this eventually they are going to get pissed off people coming after them with guns... people are pretty sentimental and emotional over their pets and I guess I don't blame them.

If I was a cop I would not go around shooting personal pets... I'd risk getting bit instead and would only take action after getting bit. Worst that can happen is having to get a couple of shots from a doctor because you got infected by something, which I don't consider that big a deal. Some of them just got raised by strict or abusive fathers and are now in a position where they can inflict it on others... honestly it takes a certain personality to be a cop. We have one such type at work and he's extremely strict about everything that goes on in his family's life.

I'm sure there are good ones, but I maintain that those that 'shoot first, ask questions later' are not good cops. Probably the same ones that think they are above the law and can speed 120MPH off duty if they are late for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,178,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Worst that can happen is having to get a couple of shots from a doctor because you got infected by something.
Uhhh, no. It can be much worse than that.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:43 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,532,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
In the same google I typed in cop shoots man got 14.4 million
In the same google I typed in cop shoots house for 16.5
Cop shoots horse got a million
Cop shoots car gets a million
In the same google I typed in cop shoots doughnut and still got 784K

So I'd not really rely on Google for my scientific research.
Exactly where did I say or imply it was scientific research? I did not even imply it was accurate. I inferred it was indicative of cops shooting dogs becoming a problem. Once again, I stand by my statement.

Off topic, but your google numbers would cause me to think there is a possible increasing trend in cops shooting, and indicative of a problem, but it would need significant research to verify of reject the notion that police shooting are significantly rising.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Maybe it was a pit bull. Once a pit bull locks its jaws there is no going back. I think the officers were in the right here.

Officers are never in the right. Ever.

Are you aware animals can't "lock" their jaws? Can you? Neither can a dog. This is one of the fallacies unlearned people love to cite over and over because they have hatred for a particular breed of dog.

Consider the fact the officers are intruding on the dog's territory which it protects the same as the cop would if you broke into his house. Can you shoot the cop dead if he confronts you in his house? Why not?

What if someone at the house happened to have a gun and shot the cops as they came into the house uninvited? Are they to open fire on one who might be protecting his property?

The police are but modern day goons for the elites. They are the first wave of tyranny and are to beat us down into submision. They are actually doing a good job of it as seen by this story. They will break down your door if they think they have a reason to. If your dog is there they will shoot it, often times if it is in the backyard and barking at them. A lot of times they have the wrong address and the standard response is "Oops, sorry."

One thing about a burglar alarm is the cops are still minutes away. Thieves know they can smash and grab before cops arrive on the scene as the alarm has to be checked by the monitoring company who then call the cops. By that time you could be dead or your house robbed.

And when the cops get there they will shoot your dog. Don't invite the police into your life as it ain't the same cops that use to Serve and Protect. They now Harrass and Arrest.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 18 days ago)

3,996 posts, read 3,207,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Exactly where did I say or imply it was scientific research? I did not even imply it was accurate. I inferred it was indicative of cops shooting dogs becoming a problem. Once again, I stand by my statement.

Off topic, but your google numbers would cause me to think there is a possible increasing trend in cops shooting, and indicative of a problem, but it would need significant research to verify of reject the notion that police shooting are significantly rising.
Yeah I would say that the google search criteria is based on the combination of words and has nothing to do with trends.

Cop Water Gun gets 14 million hits.
Cop Pink Undies gets 108 million hits...

Get the picture?

With your theory of searching for cop shoots dog getting 2.5 million hits is only a fifth of Cop Pink Undies. So is one to assume that cops are wearing pink undies at an alarming rate?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 18 days ago)

3,996 posts, read 3,207,134 times
FBI — Police Investigations of the Use of Deadly Force

A good read that the FBI published on the use of deadly force.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,107,285 times
It appears most didn't read the article. The dog was a Rott and the owner stated that the dog was an aggressive dog. If the door was open, I wonder if the dog couldn't have gotten out. The family needed to repair the faulty door/shut off the alarm or confine the dog to a crate or pen. The family has personal responsibility in this case but they would rather blame the police as would some of the others on here. He said the dog was aggressive and doesn't anyone understand the danger and going back to the police car to wait for Animal Control while there was the possibility that someone was in danger................................ I support the police officers and think the family is the one that is responsible for providing for safety for their dog which they did not do.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM

705 posts, read 992,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildegard42 View Post
AND THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE ALLOW TO BE IN CHARGE OF US?!?!?!
(Again, I want to insist that this does not apply to every officer but it is the majority.)

If they could place even a fraction of the respect and love on other people's animals that they do for their own, the number of dogs killed by police would probably plummet dramatically.
Majority? Any stats to prove its the majority of officers that act like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I agree. I don't have ANY fear of dogs at all. I don't care what kind of dog either. I certainly don't need a gun to fend off a dog. Goodness, cops are sure pansies as you stated. Pulling a gun on a dog? Really? Goodness, how sad! Grow a set.
If you think you can do a better job and have no fear, then you should do the public and all dogs a favor and join a police force! I wouldn't call people who put their life on the line every single day "pansies".

Bottom line is, none of us were there. There is no video of it. We do not know if the dog lunged at the officer, we do not know if it was napping and the officers shot it anyways.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM

147 posts, read 112,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Officers are never in the right. Ever.

Are you aware animals can't "lock" their jaws? Can you? Neither can a dog. This is one of the fallacies unlearned people love to cite over and over because they have hatred for a particular breed of dog.

Consider the fact the officers are intruding on the dog's territory which it protects the same as the cop would if you broke into his house. Can you shoot the cop dead if he confronts you in his house? Why not?

What if someone at the house happened to have a gun and shot the cops as they came into the house uninvited? Are they to open fire on one who might be protecting his property?

The police are but modern day goons for the elites. They are the first wave of tyranny and are to beat us down into submision. They are actually doing a good job of it as seen by this story. They will break down your door if they think they have a reason to. If your dog is there they will shoot it, often times if it is in the backyard and barking at them. A lot of times they have the wrong address and the standard response is "Oops, sorry."

One thing about a burglar alarm is the cops are still minutes away. Thieves know they can smash and grab before cops arrive on the scene as the alarm has to be checked by the monitoring company who then call the cops. By that time you could be dead or your house robbed.

And when the cops get there they will shoot your dog. Don't invite the police into your life as it ain't the same cops that use to Serve and Protect. They now Harrass and Arrest.
I live in Joliet, IL a suburb of Chicago. About 3 Summers ago there was going to be a gang fight literally right in my front yard. The Police got wind of what was happening and came and arrested a couple people. My mother called my dad and said "The police are here in our front yard with their lights on. It is not an emergency in our house so don't panic." They probably had a reason to enter our house but they didn't and everything was fine. Maybe its not the cops that are the problem its you.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 PM

147 posts, read 112,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The last dog shooting thread I remember involved a Rott, that had gotten out of its owners car. It was in Hawthorne CA. There was a video, and it was damning to the cops. The dog had not attacked, it was merely trying to to its owner. The cop that shot it actually grabbed the dogs collar and pumped three rounds gangster style. The dog ran off and died thrashing on the pavement. A dog in attack mode would not have backed off even when shot. Especially a Rott. That was an execution. There's WAY more to that story though.

Cops do tend to go lethal on dogs as SOP. for one thing, they can. With impunity. So they do. I have yet to see a case where a cop shot a dog result in any action against the officer/s. And there have been a lot of cases just around here. Its funny. Strange funny. The cops are the only ones who can do that. Gas deliverymen, and such can't just kill a dog even if its loose and aggressive. I know. Did that job. And people can be very stupid in how they "restrain" their dogs, like actually chaining them to the LP tank. The obligation to retreat was mine, unless cornered. But I didn't ever ha e much to fight with either. Except my delivery nozzle. People are known to be careless with how they keep their dogs. The cops are going to go lethal on anything over a certain size, out of hand. SOP.
That shooting in Hawthorne happened because an idiot couldn't keep his dog under control. His actions resulted in the dogs death. The cops were in the middle of a standoff with armed criminals. The guy was blasting music and yelling "Why are there no black cops?!" at least 6 times. Great time to ask that!(NOT). You ask that at a community meeting not in the middle of a damn standoff. Anyway the cops walked over and arrested him for interfering in a police investigation and he had put his dog in his car before he was arrested. The dog jumps out the window of the car and lunges at the officers. The cops make 3 attempts to grab the leash and the third time the dog nearly bites the officers hand. So the officer shoots the dog 4 times.

Another case in NYC:

BTW the guy on the ground had a seizure and the dog was preventing anybody from helping him.

Police Shoots Dog Who Defended Homeless Friend Who Had A Seizure! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or