U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,825,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

I am actually wondering if cops are killing dogs more frequently as they increase military tactics into police training.
I absolutely think this is the case. The police are becoming more and more militarized by the day, and they act like it. Some of them act like they're hunting down terrorists in Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 PM

13,179 posts, read 16,014,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
police keep doing this eventually they are going to get pissed off people coming after them with guns... people are pretty sentimental and emotional over their pets and I guess I don't blame them.

If I was a cop I would not go around shooting personal pets... I'd risk getting bit instead and would only take action after getting bit. Worst that can happen is having to get a couple of shots from a doctor because you got infected by something, which I don't consider that big a deal.

OK, let's watch you get attacked and bitten by a strange, vicious dog and see if you still have that attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Some of them just got raised by strict or abusive fathers and are now in a position where they can inflict it on others... honestly it takes a certain personality to be a cop. We have one such type at work and he's extremely strict about everything that goes on in his family's life.

I'm sure there are good ones, but I maintain that those that 'shoot first, ask questions later' are not good cops. Probably the same ones that think they are above the law and can speed 120MPH off duty if they are late for something.
Good lord almighty some people say the dumbest things ...

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,929,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
That shooting in Hawthorne happened because an idiot couldn't keep his dog under control. His actions resulted in the dogs death. The cops were in the middle of a standoff with armed criminals. The guy was blasting music and yelling "Why are there no black cops?!" at least 6 times. Great time to ask that!(NOT). You ask that at a community meeting not in the middle of a damn standoff. Anyway the cops walked over and arrested him for interfering in a police investigation and he had put his dog in his car before he was arrested. The dog jumps out the window of the car and lunges at the officers. The cops make 3 attempts to grab the leash and the third time the dog nearly bites the officers hand. So the officer shoots the dog 4 times.

Another case in NYC:

BTW the guy on the ground had a seizure and the dog was preventing anybody from helping him.

Police Shoots Dog Who Defended Homeless Friend Who Had A Seizure! - YouTube
Dog is protecting helpless owner and people don't realize it. I would have left the dog and guy alone. the cop had to shoot it as they are brainwashed that they need to put down pit bulls as they do minorities.
They were discharging their firearms in the middle of a crowded intersection while vehicles are approaching. Civilians know to be aware of downrange fire. Those cops were freaking wreckless and oblivious to what was going on. They need a refresher course in cop academy.
They had no reason to make people leave a public area. They started taping off the area as if it were a crime scene....their crime. Good thing that guy got it all on camera.
I don't have good thoughts about stuff like that.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,884,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Dog is protecting helpless owner and people don't realize it. I would have left the dog and guy alone. the cop had to shoot it as they are brainwashed that they need to put down pit bulls as they do minorities.
They were discharging their firearms in the middle of a crowded intersection while vehicles are approaching. Civilians know to be aware of downrange fire. Those cops were freaking wreckless and oblivious to what was going on. They need a refresher course in cop academy.
They had no reason to make people leave a public area. They started taping off the area as if it were a crime scene....their crime. Good thing that guy got it all on camera.
I don't have good thoughts about stuff like that.
Pit bulls are the worst. Once they lock their jaw it is game over. They must be dealt with accordingly.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 AM

7,169 posts, read 6,000,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It appears most didn't read the article. The dog was a Rott and the owner stated that the dog was an aggressive dog. If the door was open, I wonder if the dog couldn't have gotten out. The family needed to repair the faulty door/shut off the alarm or confine the dog to a crate or pen. The family has personal responsibility in this case but they would rather blame the police as would some of the others on here. He said the dog was aggressive and doesn't anyone understand the danger and going back to the police car to wait for Animal Control while there was the possibility that someone was in danger................................ I support the police officers and think the family is the one that is responsible for providing for safety for their dog which they did not do.
it's always good to dig deeper into stories told since people will twist the story to further an agenda and incite emotional responses. Thanks for the extra information. A lot of people would do well by not following mainstream news, since they seem to be filled with ideas that mankind is in a worse, less moral state than ever when it's actually the exact opposite, that weather is getting more extreme when it's not, weather has always been extreme, etc...

It's very easy to manipulate people's emotions and if a person is careful they can stop themselves from getting too caught up in it.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 AM

11,076 posts, read 7,206,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I seriously hope you don't look at cops as subhumans that just go around murdering small animals for pleasure. There will always be a bad apple in every bunch, but cops don't just go around aimlessly targeting dogs, or children, or grandfathers, or anything or anyone else. What makes this such a terrible situation is that the press got hold of it, that's when the demonizing starts. Before then it was just another tragic shooting that I'm sure the cops feel extremely terrible of having to put down an aggressive or protective canine.
Maybe they do.

BBC News - Tasered blind man: PC Stuart Wright ordered to apologise

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 26 days ago)

4,012 posts, read 3,225,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
There's always going to be mistakes made by the police. Just like you I'm sure at some point in your career, have made a mistake. The difference is cops are actually important enough to make the news when they make a mistake, and then it's magnified by people who hate cops (or authority), and mistakes in their profession can literally be life or death. I DO think that in this situation, that the cops were in a life or death situation. Ever had a protective Rotweiller charge you when you're in their protected space? If not, then my guess is if you had to get through that space, if you're life depended on it, and the puppy was trying to kill you, you'd either curl up and be eaten, or do what you had to do to protect yourself. I'm sure they tried the "good boy" and offered to be nice first.

All I can say is to all of you who don't like cops, don't use their services. There are plenty of lawless countries for you to move to, Somalia seems a great travel destination and I'm sure they'd love to have your tax dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/us...less.html?_r=0
Research from the FBI stating of 289 deliberate shootings, 5 were deemed unjustified. That's a pretty small number when in regards to percentage of mistake. I wonder what the mistake %'s are of people in the TSA is for letting through drug mules? Or of grocery baggers putting ice cream in bags without other cold stuff?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,784,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, yes, yes ... all cops are evil dog-hating killers. The dog owners share no responsibility here. The dogs were all just being loyal loving pets.

Move along folks. Nothing else to see.
Thank you. I am really getting sick of people standing up for dogs to this ridiculous level, rather than looking in the mirror where the problem actually lies a lot of the time.

Here's an idea--how about CONTROLLING your freaking dogs. It doesn't matter that it's supposedly your house or your dog's house or all that jazz, what matters is this--the policeman, the FedEx guy, the mail carrier, the satellite dish guy, whoever--they may be on your property but they are on your property because you need their assistance with something that you can't do on your own. They didn't go there to have to interpret a wild dog's actions and be "The Dog Whisperer," that is not their job. If they're a mail carrier, their job is to deliver your mail, PERIOD, and NOTHING ELSE. It is NOT their job to tolerate a dog charging after them nipping at their heels, and if it were up to me they'd have every legal right to kick the s`h-i`t out of your ankle biter or blow pepper spray in the face of such a dog, or even kill it if necessary to prevent being bitten. Don't like it? Then deliver your own mail, install your own satellite dish, and investigate that burglary your freaking SELF, or here's an idea--control your freaking dogs already.

Oh, but I'm a "pansy" for allowing some dog to just charge after me, that's just a stupid notion to express. I think dog owners are just lazy a lot of the times is what I think.

Seriously, I have a dog and it's a non-issue for me. I know the satellite dish, FedEx guy, or such is coming over, guess what--I CONTROL MY DOG. Period. No excuses. I don't care that it's my house or the dog's home and how they're a guest blah blah blah and all the other stupid bologna like that I'm always hearing; someone is coming over to try and provide assistance for me, they have the RIGHT to be able to do so without having a menacing animal charging after them. It is NOT their job to deal with that, at all, that is a distraction from their job and a distraction to be removed.

Control your dogs already, and quit with this nonsense. People with brains are tired of hearing it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-05-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM

7,507 posts, read 16,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Maybe it was a pit bull. Once a pit bull locks its jaws there is no going back. I think the officers were in the right here.
I hear their bite PSI is higher than a shark and mountain lion combined too, those things are like mutants! [/sarcasm]. You really should educate yourself from non sensationalist sites. Anyway, the picture shows a Rottweiler.

Its hard to say, if they thought a robbery was in progress they would have entered with guns out and if the dog charged and they got scared they would have fired.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,929,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Pit bulls are the worst. Once they lock their jaw it is game over. They must be dealt with accordingly.

Provide a link to pit bull jaws locking, dog whisperer.

Humans are far more dangerous than any dog. how many deaths a year are attributed to dogs versus humans? Less than 1%?

Why aren't humans "dealt with accordingly"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or