U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,269,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Lots of horses grab a quarter during a race. It's not an everyday occurrence but it happens and some horses react poorly, some don't. I'd never rate it as a "good thing to happen" but it's not the end.
Another horse stepped on him.....it happens.

I though he was overreaching.......but, that was not the case.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,955,618 times
Quote:
Lots of horses grab a quarter during a race. It's not an everyday occurrence but it happens and some horses react poorly, some don't. I'd never rate it as a "good thing to happen" but it's not the end.
Lots of horses, maybe, but not lots of horses who are running for the Triple Crown against fresh and completely healthy horses.
He was probably just tired, his foot was hurting him and he just wanted to go home and be done with the whole thing.
If the injury hadn't happened, I wonder if he would have pulled it off, we will never know.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM

25,418 posts, read 14,509,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Oh please with your self-righteous selves. Most people would be saying what CC owner said, the only difference is you would have been thinking it or saying it under your breath instead of outloud. Was he upset that he lost? Obviously, I'm sure it's a lot of pressure after winning two huge races and almost winning something that hasn't been achieved in 35 years. Don't get all Newt Gingrich on me and start crying foul. Was he wrong, yes, did he admit to it, yes. Move on.
Possibly. I would be let down but unless the harness racing governing board doesn't close the triple crown races out to those who are in the Kentucky Derby the only thing you can do is want to change it. The fact is California Chrome finished fifth (hoof injury or not) and there was at least one who was in the triple crown races in front of him. I think he would have had the same reaction if any of the horses in the Derby and Preakness won it instead of Chrome. He just felt Chrome should have been handled the triple crown.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,593,316 times
Quote:
I'm involved in the TB industry and I'm with you on most of your posts here except for this nugget.

I'm no apologist for his behavior, which I think was classless.

I don't think a lot of owners would pass the internet mob's scrutiny if thrust into the limelight like this. However, we need all the owners we can get. (Animal abusers notwithstanding).

Thank you for your reply.

My opinion is that horse racing should not be compromised due to the demise of class participants.
I'd rather see it die than have it turn to garbage that rivals the reality shows of today.

In what way are you involved in the thoroughbred racing scene, and I wonder for how long?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,063,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Thank you for your reply.

My opinion is that horse racing should not be compromised due to the demise of class participants.
I'd rather see it die than have it turn to garbage that rivals the reality shows of today.

In what way are you involved in the thoroughbred racing scene, and I wonder for how long?
How do you feel about IAEH (RIP), Jungle Racing, Mike Gill as owners for example? How about the other nameless and faceless owners you never hear from because they never get the exposure? I think we're better off NOT hearing from them publicly (a la Donald Sterling) in many cases. And don't get me started on trainers .

I'm an owner via partnership for a few years, nothing huge, mostly ham-and-egg claimers. Dedicated horseplayer most of my life. Dad had cheap horses on and off since I was a baby, all the New England tracks, many of which having gone bye bye ('gansett, Rock, etc.).

Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,269,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Lots of horses, maybe, but not lots of horses who are running for the Triple Crown against fresh and completely healthy horses.
He was probably just tired, his foot was hurting him and he just wanted to go home and be done with the whole thing.
If the injury hadn't happened, I wonder if he would have pulled it off, we will never know.
I have seen horses get hurt in races.....I am not sure they feel pain like you and I would.

One reason Ruffian could not be saved was after her breakdown she was still running the race in her mind......she would not stop flailing.

I know horses feel pain....just not in the heat of the race like you and I.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,063,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Possibly. I would be let down but unless the harness racing governing board doesn't close the triple crown races out to those who are in the Kentucky Derby the only thing you can do is want to change it. The fact is California Chrome finished fifth (hoof injury or not) and there was at least one who was in the triple crown races in front of him. I think he would have had the same reaction if any of the horses in the Derby and Preakness won it instead of Chrome. He just felt Chrome should have been handled the triple crown.
Huh?!

CC finished 4th in a DH.

CC finished much the best over the other horses that ran in both the Preakness and the KD. I think they finished 7th and 11th.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM

12,935 posts, read 24,071,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I'm a horse breeder, as well as working in equine rescue, and I very much know the difference between a furlong and a fetlock. I also know the track record of owners/syndicates, race tracks, breeders, trainers and industry itself on policing themselves when it comes to the welfare of their horses - my breed of choice isn't Thoroughbreds but I do network with the folks for whom it is who clean up the mess afterwards (new rules regarding disposal of non-winning Thoroughbreds notwithstanding), so forgive me if I don't find that argument particularly compelling - it's the old fox saying he knows really well how to guard the hen house, frankly.

Races, and horse shows, used to be about showing who was the better horse. Over the years, they've become not horse shows and horse races but would be better named trainer/farrier/groom/strategist shows and races (strategy being hold your horse out of a couple of races and then race it against a horse that's been in the first two races, thus making your horse look better than it is when it beats the champion - big stud fee possibilities there - and it's all about the money these days, folks, which is why the $8,000 mare story resonated with so many fans and followers of the sport).

I see two possible solutions to this (and I'm going to be going back and researching prior TC wins and bumped from winning in the Belmont races to see just how many of them involved fresh horses screwing with the odds);

require horses that run in the Belmont to have run in at least the Preakness as a qualifier for the Belmont, or

space the races out so that every horse comes to it relatively fresh.

My personal preference would be the latter, but anything that makes it a fair contest to REALLY show who's the better HORSE would be okay in my book.

This doesn't even address the horror of racing two and three-year-olds when their joints aren't even completely fused and they're still babies, all, again, because of money. That's another story for another thread.
I agree with that

Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM

89 posts, read 111,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
It is my understanding they used to have to compete in the Derby and Preakness to run the Belmont. The rule was changed and all 3 horses ahead of Chrome were fresh. He didn't come across well, but has a point.
No one ever outright said this was false, but this was NEVER the case. Horses have never had to run in all three races.

I hope that finally clears this up.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM

25,418 posts, read 14,509,521 times
Quote:
Huh?!

CC finished 4th in a DH.

CC finished much the best over the other horses that ran in both the Preakness and the KD. I think they finished 7th and 11th.
Change that to governing board of horse racing.

FYI Wicked Strong virtually tied Chrome and Wicked was in fact in the Derby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events