U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,374,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
Right. I see a lot of people on this topic saying 'Banning guns won't help the issue'. But if the US has more than 3 times the gun homicide rate of other developed countries... in some cases 30 times the gun homicide rate (US vs France or US vs UK) then don't you think that has to do with something in the US related to guns?

I repeat... can't we all agree that the US has 30 times more gun homicides than the UK precisely because of something in the US related to guns?

What that is precisely, would obviously take some thorough research. Do we have to amend the constitution? Would guns still be easily available from Mexico? I don't know...
I don't doubt that stricter gun laws would make a difference. (Link below to article on how after a mass shooting, Australia changed the guns laws, to great effect). It's clear however that enough Americans are prepared to accept the situation as it is - until that changes the situation will remain. Incidentally, most of the guns in Mexico come from the US.

When will the US learn from Australia? Stricter gun control laws save lives | Rebecca Peters | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:02 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,149,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Washington state has very lax gun laws and the state prohibits cities and counties from making their own gun laws.
As it should be.

Washington is a purple state.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:54 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,722,424 times
Seattle shooting. Here's the rules:

1. Muslim shooter = terrorist
2. White shooter = mental illness
3. Black shooter = culture of violence.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:56 AM

9,098 posts, read 5,665,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If more people opposed your "sacred" gun rights, we'd hear a whole lot less of these stories. Wake up, Americans.
The recent trend of people snapping doesn't point towards firearms, yes that is the tool they are using but there is something FAR deeper going on. Firearms are nothing new in the US, but people snapping like this seems to be an upward trend. This is far different then inner city gang and drug violence.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:58 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,441,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If you read the story you would know that was no act of random violence, it was a revenge killing because cops a year early killed his best friend while making an arrest.

The problem isn't if there are restrictive guns laws vs. lax gun laws. The parties want you to act in this manner. Guns welded by people kill people. That's as black and white as it gets. The problem is people are too ingrained with guns to give them up, and the only possible solution would be outlawing or banning fire arms, like they do in other countries. I'm not picking sides, merely stating that arguing over gun laws being reduced or more restrictive is like kicking a dead horse that was killed twice over.
by a gun, I might add

Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,217,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
What happened at VT? and U of Texas, those weren't 'gun free'.
All universities are gun free

Old 06-06-2014, 06:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,052,942 times
Nice "take down" by the young man working that Security Detail, I think he has a future in Public Safety.

"Selfless-Service", This young man displayed two out of six of our Core Values, the other being "Personal Courage".

Something more people should value, And it should be learned right there in school.

I tip my hat to this young man. Well Done.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM

13,898 posts, read 13,565,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
And wow.....imagine that he was taken down by unarmed bystanders
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
Who wants to bet it's another mentally ill person who didn't need access to guns?
When will this stop? Jesus. Increase the security on guns to prevent gun violence. It's a no-brainer.
Exactly.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM

32,746 posts, read 22,697,194 times
I really do not understand the fascination with guns.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 AM

9,098 posts, read 5,665,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I really do not understand the fascination with guns.
And you don't have to. I won't judge you for it as long as you don't judge me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or