U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:05 PM

463 posts, read 425,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wonder how many of these college campus shootings involved prescription drugs? So many of our young people are placed on various forms of mind-altering drugs, for ADHD, depression, etc. They then become dependent on it and seek more, especially around finals week, when they need to rev up their brains. Then, combine that with the stress of finals, and whatever other drugs they might ingest, alcohol, weed, etc their brains are completely scrambled.

I think we're reaping what we've sowed.
All the more reason we need restricted access to guns.

At least one in four Americans are on some form of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant......it's pure insanity that we're have this debate when a large chunk of Americans are not even in the right state of mind, but they would legally be able to purchase a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:06 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,992,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wonder how many of these college campus shootings involved prescription drugs? So many of our young people are placed on various forms of mind-altering drugs, for ADHD, depression, etc. They then become dependent on it and seek more, especially around finals week, when they need to rev up their brains. Then, combine that with the stress of finals, and whatever other drugs they might ingest, alcohol, weed, etc their brains are completely scrambled.

I think we're reaping what we've sowed.
This happened at SPU. It's the strictest campus in the area as far as alcohol and drugs go. Even students over age 21 aren't allowed to drink OFF campus. The school sends monitors around to the bars in Queen Anne and Fremont to look for students. While I'm sure some of the students there do imbibe, if that were a primary contributing factor nearby UW with 10 times as many students and far more lenient enforcement policies would be a hotbed of gun violence, though for some reason it is not.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:06 PM

221 posts, read 244,575 times
UGH why are people in this thread so dense?!

Can't people see that the stringency of gun laws is correlated with less gun homicides?!

I quote myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
Fact 1: The US has 30 times the gun homicide rate of the UK and France, 15 times the gun homicide rate of Germany, 6 times the rate of Canada and almost 5 times the rate of Italy. (source)

Fact 2: We have 89 guns per 100 people, which is more than twice that of France and Germany, and more than 10 times that of England. (In fact we lead the world in this respect.) (source)
Of course there will still be gun homicides even with the most stringent gun laws. But there will be LESS of them. That's the point!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,621,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This leads me to wonder whether you somehow missed the five-post exchange between Magnatomicflux and me that took up most of page 3 (which included the one brief passage below) or you are just being selective for a purpose in the posts you choose to quote.
It doesn't matter, you brought up that point. Doesn't matter if it was selective or not, I was responding to a post that you yourself made. I'm sorry if you don't agree with it but it is in fact true.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM

7,640 posts, read 5,134,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
You have a point about the barn door - but stricter gun controlwould certainly make a difference (see Australia for example). The removal of guns would be a long term project - over say a decade. It might be very difficult, but just 'concentrating on the human fingers' isn't going to make much of a difference. Again, I have no doubt that a change in the laws would help (almost no one is suggesting that Joe still can't go duck hunting). The problem is the will. Americans (or enough of them) are so enamored by guns that they (selfishly, I would suggest) see these events as an unfortunate, but necessary price of the deal.
How can gun control be effective if certain types of firearms are excluded (sporting/hunting/target type guns)? There will still be a very large number of them out there that are just as deadly as an AR-15. Regulating who may legally buy & own a gun is fine, but it's not going to stop these random killing sprees.
I'm an Army combat veteran, and I can assure you that there is a very large percentage of the U.S. population that has absolutely NO business with a firearm of any kind. So I don't have a problem with laws & regulations that try to keep weapons out of the wrong hands. But the point I'm trying make is 'gun control' isn't going to stop the killing. That would require confiscating & destroying every single firearm in the country, and that's not going to happen in 10 years, or 50 years, or ever.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,436,577 times
I don't want to downplay the incident but I think the amount of news & social media coverage encourages these types of copycat mass-murder crimes. These homicidal maniacs are mentally unstable and have a warped sense of their place in the world. They're attention-starved & we're playing into their hands. I totally feel the constant attention & analysis gives impetus to new killing sprees. Don't get me wrong, it's a tragedy that innocent young adults are randomly targeted & gunned down, but let's not blow it out of proportion.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM

7,640 posts, read 5,134,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I don't want to downplay the incident but I think the amount of news & social media coverage encourages these types of copycat mass-murder crimes. These homicidal maniacs are mentally unstable and have a warped sense of their place in the world. They're attention-starved & we're playing into their hands. I totally feel the constant attention & analysis gives impetus to new killing sprees. Don't get me wrong, it's a tragedy that innocent young adults are randomly targeted & gunned down, but let's not blow it out of proportion.
ITA. Been saying that for years.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

15,398 posts, read 8,702,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And how is that working out? I don't want bombs OR guns. Humans with easy access and pitiful gun control laws are killing us.
No, evil humans intent on killing other humans are what's doing that.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM

15,398 posts, read 8,702,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If you read the story you would know that was no act of random violence, it was a revenge killing because cops a year early killed his best friend while making an arrest.

The problem isn't if there are restrictive guns laws vs. lax gun laws. The parties want you to act in this manner. Guns welded by people kill people. That's as black and white as it gets. The problem is people are too ingrained with guns to give them up, and the only possible solution would be outlawing or banning fire arms, like they do in other countries. I'm not picking sides, merely stating that arguing over gun laws being reduced or more restrictive is like kicking a dead horse that was killed twice over.
Did he kill the exact cops that killed his best friend? Then it WAS an random act of violence.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:45 PM

479 posts, read 1,013,489 times
I see he was obsessed with Columbine, just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER SHOOTER in the past 15 years. Wonder why these losers never copycat any other shooting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or