U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM

10,718 posts, read 17,649,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible solution would be concealed carry, by store employees, of metal detectors that would detect customers' guns. When detecting one, they could alert store security to keep a watch on the person with the gun. Store security could follow that person with security cameras, till they left. There would be no need to cause any kind of delay for anyone, nor even get in their face. Or instead of concealed carry of metal detectors by store employees, maybe concealed metal detectors in the aisles of the store, hooked up to alert security automatically. Security might want to keep a high powered rifle trained on people suspected of having guns, but never actually confront them nor get in their face, unless they actually committed a crime. It would be important for this scheme to be kept secret, because, if people knew about it, they might stop shopping there.

This would have the additional benefit of giving more meaning to Target's name. But Walmart might want to do it too.
The amount of fail in this post is immeasurable

No one, especially rent-a-cops at a retail store have the right to follow me around a store keeping a "high powered rifle" trained on me. Nor would I allow it. And then you have the people that will freak and call the cops because someone is walking around the store with a rifle aimed and ready.

Last edited by NHDave; 06-08-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

9,380 posts, read 6,993,113 times
Motive is the question here. They've released the name of the last registered owner of the gun.. Which also apparently means that he is not the person they have on video leaving the gun.

The best thing in the article I read about it is this..

Quote:
Fletcher Armstrong III, a concealed weapons permit instructor with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, explains it is never too early to start talking gun safety with children.
He narrows it down into four easy-to-understand steps: "If a child comes across a gun they should follow four steps: Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area and tell an adult," Armstrong says.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Someone Left A Loaded Gun In The Toy Aisle Of Target

This happened in a Myrtle Beach Target recently and so it begs the question. Places like Target and Walmart used detectors to keep their merchandise from leaving the store. Shouldn't they also take a bit of their budget and screen for weapons entering their stores? Would doing so violate our second amendment?
Of course not. The Bill of Rights restricts the actions of the state, not of private businesses. It baffles me how many people are oblivious to this.

They can screen for weapons - it would be neither cost-effective nor viable from a logistical point of view (no one is going to shop somewhere if entering is like going through TSA screening).

The dangerously incompetent clown who left it there should:
*have it permanently confiscated, and
*be charged with felonious endangerment, and
*be subsequently barred from owning firearms

However, the way most jurisdictions coddle idiots who are too stupid to properly secure weapons, those things are unlikely to happen to the fool in question here.

Note: I have no issue with a licensee carrying a weapon on his/her person as allowed by law (and permitted by the business). I have a massive problem with the criminal endangerment described in this article.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:10 PM

3,273 posts, read 3,095,885 times
Post The best propaganda event $150 can buy

Here is the person police are seeking information on as a "person of interest", he was seen walking up and down the aisles of the toy department shortly before the discovery:

Additionally, police say "Chavonne Tere Moore is wanted for questioning and is the last known registered owner of the gun that was found in the toy aisle of the Target". Coincidentally, phone books list a person with that name at an address less than a mile from the Target store.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 PM

609 posts, read 633,024 times
I would never go to Target again. Ever. I would go to the stores that did not have them.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,030,224 times
Quote:
Would your reactions be the same if a three year old child picked this gun up and shot itself? Not trying to be inflamatory, but it does beg the question.
I would wonder what the crap his parents were doing!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,633,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I would wonder what the crap his parents were doing!
Perhaps looking at a toy or distracted briefly...

Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 AM

13,344 posts, read 17,327,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible solution would be concealed carry, by store employees, of metal detectors that would detect customers' guns. When detecting one, they could alert store security to keep a watch on the person with the gun. Store security could follow that person with security cameras, till they left. There would be no need to cause any kind of delay for anyone, nor even get in their face. Or instead of concealed carry of metal detectors by store employees, maybe concealed metal detectors in the aisles of the store, hooked up to alert security automatically. Security might want to keep a high powered rifle trained on people suspected of having guns, but never actually confront them nor get in their face, unless they actually committed a crime. It would be important for this scheme to be kept secret, because, if people knew about it, they might stop shopping there.

This would have the additional benefit of giving more meaning to Target's name. But Walmart might want to do it too.
That's a great idea.
In addition, all customers entering the store will be issued bulletproof vests that will stop small-caliber firearms but not high powered rifle bullets because we still would need to kill the gunman.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,628,054 times
Quote:
Someone Left A Loaded Gun In The Toy Aisle Of Target

This happened in a Myrtle Beach Target recently and so it begs the question. Places like Target and Walmart used detectors to keep their merchandise from leaving the store. Shouldn't they also take a bit of their budget and screen for weapons entering their stores? Would doing so violate our second amendment?
I'm guessing this was probably a "ditched" weapon by a felon who became paranoid. A trained and licensed CCW holder would have no reason to do this.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 AM

29,044 posts, read 15,304,746 times
How about this for a tin foil hat conspiracy theory? What if an anti-gun person put it there hoping for a tragedy to sway public opinion on guns?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or