U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM

852 posts, read 814,828 times

Advertisements

The "every school shooting since Sandy Hook" metric is compelling evidence that media coverage is feeding copy cat shootings.

This Canadian news organization stops mentioning the prep's name after the incident is err..concluded.
Sun News : Sun News Network will not use New Brunswick killer's name

Also, it seems shootings spiked this week in Vancouver, Canada - more copycatting?

I'm thinking that the public may actually be getting desensitized by the incident rate/coverage.

Last edited by jayway; 06-11-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

726 posts, read 664,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
The "every school shooting since Sandy Hook" metric is compelling evidence that media coverage is feeding copy cat shootings.

This Canadian news organization stops mentioning the prep's name after the incident is err..concluded.
Sun News : Sun News Network will not use New Brunswick killer's name

Also, it seems shootings spiked this week in Vancouver, Canada - more copycatting?

I'm thinking that the public may actually be getting desensitized by the incident rate/coverage.

Well I'm certainly at the point where I could call myself desensitized, I often won't even bother reading beyond the headline anymore when it comes to these shootings. Much like terrorist bombings in the middle-east, forget it, they don't even register a blip anymore.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM

30,423 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Whoops! Sorry! I thought this was a thread about Chicago.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM

141 posts, read 94,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Of course. They realize they can get famous doing it and they each want to up the body count from the last shooting. If the media was responsible it would stop going in depth with days and days of coverage and specials about the identity of the shooter and all his videos/letters ect..

Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 AM

51,067 posts, read 29,145,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Five dead people in Las Vegas.

Each of those five dead people had a firearm.

Everyone else in the restaurant and the Wal-Mart? They all survived, unharmed.
In most, if not all cases, an armed citizen with good situational awareness, will come out unharmed. Unfortunately for the armed individual, who stopped the male suspect, was not aware the female suspect had a firearm, and she shot him, sometimes with 2 armed criminals against 1 decent person, the outcome of such situations is not a happy one. Imagine if there were more armed law-abiding citizens there. If that were the case, we would have 1 less fatality in this unfortunate scenario.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM

7,185 posts, read 7,520,266 times
I feel sorry for the civilian in Walmart, but that what's happens when you try to play the hero.
To my fellow gun owners, "just because you own a gun doesn't make you Dirty Harry"
These crazy people where kicked off of a known liar and thief Cliven Bundy's Ranch.
I now want to know the names of the other looser that were on this Thief's ranch

Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM

320 posts, read 385,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So the shooters wanted to start a 'revolution' by shooting two police officers in a pizza restaurant in Las Vegas, and then killing themselves?
No kidding!

Shooting shoppers at a Las Vegas Walmart doesn't exactly rank with storming the Bastille, but nice try.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,896,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I agree, and nothing is going to change until this gets addressed.

It can be linked back to liberals/progressives and how they are fundamentally transforming the nation.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Let's see....two cops with guns were killed

The third man who was killed at Wal-Mart was armed and confronted the gunman, did not realize there was a second armed accomplice and got killed by the wife. Two trained police officers and one armed civilian were unable to stop a shooting rampage. And the NRA's "solution" is that more civilians should be armed.

Hey let's arm everyone and have Mexican standoffs, or watch the police play the ever fun game of "Who's the Gunman?"
Let's make sure that next time 5 people are armed so they can all take out the gunman and maybe a few innocent bystanders....

Because America.
That's all good and silly but...Let's be really wacky and make a blockbuster movie depicting it then follow it up with video games. Hollywood will profit and kids will love the games.

Because America...

Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The sad reality is some people are weak minded enough to believe the extremism. Tell a lie enough and it's perceived as truth. Media should be held accountable!
Starting with MSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events