Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:09 PM

4,614 posts, read 12,217,421 times

Advertisements

Kind of feel like we should just expect this weekly now! And in a Pro Gun state.

3 dead in shooting at Vegas restaurant, Walmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 05:22 PM

29,422 posts, read 22,328,222 times
So the shooters wanted to start a 'revolution' by shooting two police officers in a pizza restaurant in Las Vegas, and then killing themselves?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So the shooters wanted to start a 'revolution' by shooting two police officers in a pizza restaurant in Las Vegas, and then killing themselves?
Yeah, I think they killed someone in a Walmart too!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,241,999 times
I saw a total of 5 dead - two police officers, one Walmart customer, and the two shooters.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,682,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I saw a total of 5 dead - two police officers, one Walmart customer, and the two shooters.
3 dead, the 2 police offers were critically injured, not killed; of course that could all change depending on their recovery status.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
3 dead, the 2 police offers were critically injured, not killed; of course that could all change depending on their recovery status.
The 2 cops have died, so we're up to 5.

Five dead in Las Vegas shooting

Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,682,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The 2 cops have died, so we're up to 5.

Five dead in Las Vegas shooting
Thanks for the update.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,008,024 times
In America it's just business as usual, though of course it's got nothing to do with guns.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,826,367 times
Guns and growing anomie. The latter is theoretically much harder to tackle than the former, which itself is in practice impossible to tackle. The latter will never be debated because it doesn't lend itself to easy debate, and never will until point of extinction.

As a self-doubting nihilist, 10% of me likes this vaguely defined trend, 70% of me hates this, and 20% of me hates the 10% for liking this. Not quite accurate, but how I feel at the moment.

As much as I despise theologically informed visions of some sort of "end times", I myself am not opposed to secular predictions of a similar variety. When Newtown happened I told a friend at a poker game that Friday night that that sort of thing "was going to become much more common". This was one of a few people who I could've said those exact words to without said person "taking it the wrong way"--as in, thinking I was indicating I myself might be planning a massacre. I've said for many years now, only person I'm willing to kill is myself. But I think a growing percentage of the populace is willing to kill, and not necessarily themselves exclusively. If there was a stock or mutual fund that was tied to random killings, I'd be investing heavily in it. I say this rhetorically--basically, I predict more random violence given all the converging social factors in this country. Perhaps not catastrophic, but enough to really **** things up for a lot of people.

This conjecture is surely largely speculative, but I think it is worth discussing. So I'll leave it at that. I have no solutions, really. And I could be wrong. I realize this forum isn't necessarily the most receptive to ideas like this. But I've been thinking it since Newtown...from before it, really. Logical conclusion of our society/universe, like it or not. The Singularity better be really near, because I'm deferring to Enrico Fermi's vision of paradoxical tragedy of relatively enlightened beings such as ourselves (or to Thomas Ligotti's fatalistic vision of humanity's "being set up to fail", with which I most identify) before I trust my material salvation to a Kurzweilian experiment.

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 06-09-2014 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 AM

10,923 posts, read 21,878,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
though of course it's got nothing to do with guns.
At least you recognize that fact.

Did the guns steal a car and drive to walmart? Did they sit plotting for months up on a shelf while their owners went to their jobs or contributed to society? Maybe they had secret meetings with their firearm friends to help plan the whole thing. Or they turned their owners in to zombies to do their bidding?

A firearm can't do anything, good or bad, without a person attached to it. Maybe we should make it a crime to kill someone or go on a killing spree... oh wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events