U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
11,473 posts, read 14,041,018 times
Reputation: 10975

Advertisements

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

Why stop at $15, in a few years, let's raise it to $50 an hour! (sarcasm)

Wages should always be supply and demand based, this keeps the workforce competitive and rewards those who have attained marketable skills and an education.

Pretty soon, uneducated "burger flippers" will be at the same wage rate at doctors, which would remove the incentives to obtain an education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Is making a living and trying to raise a family in a major metropolitan area like Seattle, really realistic? Things are expensive for a reason. When you want to live close to things that everybody else wants, you have to pay for it. It's called demand. I think it's stupid to think that we are enabling so many people to try to make a living without going out getting skills, and education that would put them in a better position to earn even more.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,527 posts, read 50,927,768 times
Reputation: 28913
Someone with income tax expertise correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly $15 is just enough that a single person with no dependents will have to actually pay federal income tax for the first time, it will be putting them over the maximum that qualifies for no income tax (poverty level).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,032 posts, read 26,094,913 times
Reputation: 16167
Now the labor unions will flex muscles to raise their rates accordingly. Only big companies will be able to absorb this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,485,685 times
Reputation: 4125
The city itself will likely be fine, as many who live in the city make pretty good money.

Though, the ones who will feel the pinch are those making $16 or $17 an hour. All the costs will increase, gradually, but the people who are barely making ends meet will slide into poverty. My wife and I crunched the numbers, and with a kid on the way, it makes loads more sense for her to simply quit after giving birth once childcare and daycare are factored in. Luckily I make pretty good money and can support a family. I just imagine what the situtation is for the median in Seattle; around $65k.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 AM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,048,952 times
Reputation: 2250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The city itself will likely be fine, as many who live in the city make pretty good money.

Though, the ones who will feel the pinch are those making $16 or $17 an hour. All the costs will increase, gradually, but the people who are barely making ends meet will slide into poverty. My wife and I crunched the numbers, and with a kid on the way, it makes loads more sense for her to simply quit after giving birth once childcare and daycare are factored in. Luckily I make pretty good money and can support a family. I just imagine what the situtation is for the median in Seattle; around $65k.
Are you saying that Seattle is looking forward to rid themselves of lower wage workers by this proposal?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Nassau County, NY
188 posts, read 196,056 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Someone with income tax expertise correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly $15 is just enough that a single person with no dependents will have to actually pay federal income tax for the first time, it will be putting them over the maximum that qualifies for no income tax (poverty level).

I doubt that, I've been consistently paid way less, worked overtime and *still* couldn't afford my own place in New York while paying 18% taxes from my weekly check. What I get back was something amounting to 4% of that so I'm still paying 14% to the gov. All I could afford was to eat three cheap meals a day and nothing else. The rest went to commuting expenses and basic hygiene items.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
4,010 posts, read 3,223,263 times
Reputation: 3428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
I doubt that, I've been consistently paid way less, worked overtime and *still* couldn't afford my own place in New York while paying 18% taxes from my weekly check. What I get back was something amounting to 4% of that so I'm still paying 14% to the gov. All I could afford was to eat three cheap meals a day and nothing else. The rest went to commuting expenses and basic hygiene items.
Perhaps a change in venue or career is in order? Doesn't sound like much of a life.

You can do whatever you put your mind to doing. It just requires taking the first step, and then deciding to continue on with those steps, until you've made yourself happy. Don't settle for just getting by, change the way you look at things and the thing you look at will change.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 31,342,457 times
Reputation: 11428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Someone with income tax expertise correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly $15 is just enough that a single person with no dependents will have to actually pay federal income tax for the first time, it will be putting them over the maximum that qualifies for no income tax (poverty level).
They can file differently and protect themselves......but, most will not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 AM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,342 posts, read 2,275,737 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Pretty soon, uneducated "burger flippers" will be at the same wage rate at doctors, which would remove the incentives to obtain an education.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure med schools across the country are virtual ghost towns because of this...
[/idiot]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,234,018 times
Reputation: 19546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Now the labor unions will flex muscles to raise their rates accordingly. Only big companies will be able to absorb this.
I believe that most labor unions with wages tied to the minimum wage have them tied to the federal minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
I doubt that, I've been consistently paid way less, worked overtime and *still* couldn't afford my own place in New York while paying 18% taxes from my weekly check. What I get back was something amounting to 4% of that so I'm still paying 14% to the gov. All I could afford was to eat three cheap meals a day and nothing else. The rest went to commuting expenses and basic hygiene items.
When you say 18%, what taxes specifically are you talking about? There are many different taxes taken out of a check, but he was speaking of federal income tax specifically.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top