Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

Why stop at $15, in a few years, let's raise it to $50 an hour! (sarcasm)

Wages should always be supply and demand based, this keeps the workforce competitive and rewards those who have attained marketable skills and an education.

Pretty soon, uneducated "burger flippers" will be at the same wage rate at doctors, which would remove the incentives to obtain an education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Is making a living and trying to raise a family in a major metropolitan area like Seattle, really realistic? Things are expensive for a reason. When you want to live close to things that everybody else wants, you have to pay for it. It's called demand. I think it's stupid to think that we are enabling so many people to try to make a living without going out getting skills, and education that would put them in a better position to earn even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Someone with income tax expertise correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly $15 is just enough that a single person with no dependents will have to actually pay federal income tax for the first time, it will be putting them over the maximum that qualifies for no income tax (poverty level).

Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Now the labor unions will flex muscles to raise their rates accordingly. Only big companies will be able to absorb this.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
The city itself will likely be fine, as many who live in the city make pretty good money.

Though, the ones who will feel the pinch are those making $16 or $17 an hour. All the costs will increase, gradually, but the people who are barely making ends meet will slide into poverty. My wife and I crunched the numbers, and with a kid on the way, it makes loads more sense for her to simply quit after giving birth once childcare and daycare are factored in. Luckily I make pretty good money and can support a family. I just imagine what the situtation is for the median in Seattle; around $65k.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The city itself will likely be fine, as many who live in the city make pretty good money.

Though, the ones who will feel the pinch are those making $16 or $17 an hour. All the costs will increase, gradually, but the people who are barely making ends meet will slide into poverty. My wife and I crunched the numbers, and with a kid on the way, it makes loads more sense for her to simply quit after giving birth once childcare and daycare are factored in. Luckily I make pretty good money and can support a family. I just imagine what the situtation is for the median in Seattle; around $65k.
Are you saying that Seattle is looking forward to rid themselves of lower wage workers by this proposal?

Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 AM

188 posts, read 250,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Someone with income tax expertise correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly $15 is just enough that a single person with no dependents will have to actually pay federal income tax for the first time, it will be putting them over the maximum that qualifies for no income tax (poverty level).

I doubt that, I've been consistently paid way less, worked overtime and *still* couldn't afford my own place in New York while paying 18% taxes from my weekly check. What I get back was something amounting to 4% of that so I'm still paying 14% to the gov. All I could afford was to eat three cheap meals a day and nothing else. The rest went to commuting expenses and basic hygiene items.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
I doubt that, I've been consistently paid way less, worked overtime and *still* couldn't afford my own place in New York while paying 18% taxes from my weekly check. What I get back was something amounting to 4% of that so I'm still paying 14% to the gov. All I could afford was to eat three cheap meals a day and nothing else. The rest went to commuting expenses and basic hygiene items.
Perhaps a change in venue or career is in order? Doesn't sound like much of a life.

You can do whatever you put your mind to doing. It just requires taking the first step, and then deciding to continue on with those steps, until you've made yourself happy. Don't settle for just getting by, change the way you look at things and the thing you look at will change.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They can file differently and protect themselves......but, most will not.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Pretty soon, uneducated "burger flippers" will be at the same wage rate at doctors, which would remove the incentives to obtain an education.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure med schools across the country are virtual ghost towns because of this...
[/idiot]

Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Now the labor unions will flex muscles to raise their rates accordingly. Only big companies will be able to absorb this.
I believe that most labor unions with wages tied to the minimum wage have them tied to the federal minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
When you say 18%, what taxes specifically are you talking about? There are many different taxes taken out of a check, but he was speaking of federal income tax specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events