Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times

Advertisements

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I've been in similar situations myself. It can be both annoying and intimidating. It sounds like he thinks you are more alike in your beliefs than you actually are. Or he is one of those people who is like a bull in a china shop about converting or saving you

Sounds like its time for an honest chat after work. I'd start by saying that you feel your friendship (or work relationship) has gotten off track and you want to have a serious talk about it. Saying this ahead of time will give him time to process that it could be difficult or surprising conversation with you. And it should be less of a shock when he hears his behavior is unacceptable. I wouldn't share anymore about it until you have the actual chat.

As for the chat, I'd reiterate about the relationship being off track, and how you value it otherwise - share some positives. But, you are lately feeling that his entire focus is on you reading the bible, etc., etc.. And you'd like him to back off on this, you are feeling pressured and uncomfortable. If he has sufficient emotional intelligence he should be apologetic and want to back off immediately. If not, then you may have to continue to remind him of each incidence that caused the issue. Tell him that you were raised to be more private about your worship and will continue to do so in your own way rather than submitting to his requests.

If he gets stroppy, and you feel the relationship isn't salvageable, and he doesn't respect your request either during or after the conversation, then I'd say that my hope was that we'd have a good working relationship but if it continues this way, I may have to bring HR in on it to help us sort thru it. He'd have to be an absolute idiot to not back off then. I wouldn't rule out bringing HR.

Now some people would prefer to not have this conversation and would tell HR and have them handle it. Either way is fine. Personally, if I'd have already engaged in conversation to the level you have (by being so polite) I would want to give him a chance and have the chat first.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 PM

634 posts, read 897,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I would rather have bamboo shoots under my fingernails than to go thru that.
I could care less, if somebody wants to compensate for sitting around conjuring spirits it's fine by me.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM

192 posts, read 270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Oh, yes, and Mail Online is such a reliable news source and never publish anything inflammatory or with the intent to rile people up.

Hate is hate.
And you know what we say about the Daily Mail....

The Daily Mail Song - YouTube

Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
People act like these kind of work-place abuses are non-existent, but they are very real.

I've had a doctor pull out a hand full of a girls hair because she didn't hang up the phone quick enough. ( She was on perma-hold with a pharmacy) I've had another one shove an employee into a room and refuse to let her go. None of these cases ended up in a lawsuit because people wanted to keep their jobs.

If someone required me to pray at work, I'd say " Praise the Lord, and pass the peas, mother****er"

Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
And you know what we say about the Daily Mail....

The Daily Mail Song - YouTube

LOVE THIS!!!! Thank YOU for sharing!!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
This poster suggested they research what I mentioned. 1) You are also coming from a provincial mind set not understanding the history of England. the Queen is the head of the church of England. the American term of "public" schools means something different in the Uk but I won't go into that. However, speaking in American English, the "public" schools in the UK also have christian church schools. The nation has long been a Christian nation and thus celebrated Christ's birth in numerous ways. However, even in non christian schools, K-5 kids put on these plays. We cannot judge this by American standards of separation. While most native people now in the UK either are agnostic or other, they still like their kids to participate in the plays because it's cute to see little kids dressed as shepherd's and angels.

As for your jewish comment. 2)The generation i come from has much love and respect for the Jewish people. We share their sorrow for what their people have suffered, especially during the WWII era.

people of different faiths are not made to attend these after school events, nor are their kids required to participate. So how is this offensive? 3) People who talk like you are the ones first to be fooled by the radicals tactics.

You do not know me. I have fought racism when it wasn't cool to do so. When it was dangerous. 4) Again, how can I be racist against Muslims if my own family has Muslims in it? I have read the Quran, have you? I have seen first hand the tactics the radicals use to convert non practicing Muslims to radical Islam. have you?

5) If you live in America, you should be afraid of this stuff happening here. They (radicals) are in colleges, schools, many places.
1) I don't need to understand the history of England to understand hatred cloaked as "Christianity." We have that here, too.
2) I have heard this crap before-the "Christian" facade all the while dismissing and treating Jews and Muslims like pathological beings.
3) On what do you base this drivel?
4) Good for you. No, I have not read the Quran. Is that required reading to understand hatred? No I have not seen radical tactics used to convert non practicing Muslims to radical Islam. But I have seen people cloak hatred as "loving Christianity."
5) I don't fear "this stuff" as most Americans are more rational than those who fall for extremists of ANY kind.

PEACE

Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
It's a bit off-track, but I can't stand those lefty rants against the DailyMail, it's an exceptional source of information (I read it with pleasure every day); the haters are not the ones one think. I never encountered in my (long) life as much hate, short-sightedness, superiority complex, opportunistic atttitudes -and cynicism- than among Leftists (I remember when I was a teen a leftist explaining to me all the good he thought of the Spanish Civil War because "they made a slaughter of the damn priests". Another one explained to me how he had a high respect for the infamous German murderer group ("antifascists" in his words)Rote Armee Fraktion....and others (rich guys, scions of bourgeois families) sentenciously justified the slaughter of millions of peasants by Mao's "cultural revolution" by the ignominious sentence : "you need to break eggs to make an omelet", "in the Little Red Book it is written : "the Revolution is not a gala dinner", etc etc
Shame on these people!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your entire post is anti-muslim. I could care less how much you think you know about muslims or not. The point is, if I came on here & posted nothing but racist statements against blacks, that would in fact make me a racist. Just because you say you're not anti-muslim doesn't make it so. Your post says otherwise. End of story.

This is actually going on over there though...so I don't think the poster is being anti muslim.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
That's how this company felt.
This is cultish to me and I am Christian. I would've felt very uneasy in this work environment.

Lawsuit: Long Island company fired workers who refused to pray - Lodinews.com: U.S. News

Is this a real article or from one of those fake news sites?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It's a bit off-track, but I can't stand those lefty rants against the DailyMail, it's an exceptional source of information (I read it with pleasure every day); the haters are not the ones one think. I never encountered in my (long) life as much hate, short-sightedness, superiority complex, opportunistic atttitudes -and cynicism- than among Leftists (I remember when I was a teen a leftist explaining to me all the good he thought of the Spanish Civil War because "they made a slaughter of the damn priests". Another one explained to me how he had a high respect for the infamous German murderer group ("antifascists" in his words)Rote Armee Fraktion....and others (rich guys, scions of bourgeois families) sentenciously justified the slaughter of millions of peasants by Mao's "cultural revolution" by the ignominious sentence : "you need to break eggs to make an omelet", "in the Little Red Book it is written : "the Revolution is not a gala dinner", etc etc
Shame on these people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events