Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:26 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,569,807 times

Advertisements

Moment crazed woman assaulted a man for flying his drone on the beach and accused him of being a 'pervert' | Mail Online

Quote:
'That's what you get you little pervert!': Bizarre moment crazed woman assaults a man for flying his drone on the beach

Crazed Woman Attacks Man for Flying Camera Drone over Public Beach in Connecticut (Updated) | Photography is Not a Crime: PINAC
That girl is crazy nuts for sure.

Quote:
They first listened to her story of lies (she claimed I was taking close ups of people in bikinis, and that she had asked me to stop flying before calling the police, and that I was the one that assaulted her, and and and). The police approached me very aggressively, believing her full story, and before anything else was said I brought up something that she missed… The fact that the cell phone in my hand has a camera…that was recording. I had video evidence that she went nuts completely unprovoked, and was the one that assaulted me
The scary thing is that if he hadn't been recording, police would have believed the crazy lady and arrested the guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
She is a nut... besides, taking pictures in public (it was a public beach) is and always has been legal. So I am not sure what they could have arrested him for exactly.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM

3,240 posts, read 2,076,706 times
I imagine that most of the time, the real beach perverts are sitting with a camera/binoculars, soiled towel, and a sticky hand on their hotel balcony.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:40 PM

867 posts, read 1,389,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
She is a nut... besides, taking pictures in public (it was a public beach) is and always has been legal. So I am not sure what they could have arrested him for exactly.
There was a guy in York County, Virginia that was banned from the beach for taking excessive pictures of minors in bikinis. There are some strange folks out there. As far as the cops...if the lady so much as "says" the guy hit/spit on/pushed/shoved/threw water on or bumped her in ANY way the police could lock the guy up for assault...they do it all the time down here...its ridiculous and something that is extremely abused in our area.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,288,852 times
The "man by himself with a camera equals pervert" presumption is getting really old. As a guy who is into photography as a hobby and takes photos in public areas and does NOT do the upskirt thing, I'm not just getting tired of it, I'm downright offended at the suggestion when it comes up, and it does on occasion when I'm doing nothing but taking "scenic" shots and nothing more. It gets SO old, and is bordering on being a form of racism if you ask me. It's certainly stereotyping at the very least and is no different than assuming all women belong home barefoot & pregnant or that every African-American driving a nice car must've stolen it, etc.

It is LEGAL to take photos in public for the most part. If someone is practically going up your skirt or stalking your every move, you may well have a reason to complain. Otherwise, you don't. For the most part, you have no right to the expectation of privacy in public, and that pretty much is the end of it. "People are made uncomfortable by it"--then they need to GET comfortable and get over it already. This has nothing to do with consideration, it's about people falling for the paranoid "in this day and age post 9/11 you can't be too careful" bunch of bologna and thinking I'm supposed to never take pretty photographs at the lake just because people I don't know happen to be part of the scenery.

I became interested in photography over 30 years ago as a teenager but couldn't really pursue my hobby due to film hassles and costs, until barely 10 years ago when I finally was able to benefit (like many others) from the price drop in DSLRs and grabbed my first one. Now that digital has liberated me, I'm not going to let paranoia cramp things for me.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-09-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 04:57 AM

16,887 posts, read 16,007,807 times
^^^^ Right on...I fully agree with you. ^^^^

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,416,740 times
There might be a little more to this than what we're hearing. I just looked at the video on Youtube and around the 2:10 point (might be different depending on which video you watch, it's near the end) you can see that the guys pants are unzipped.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
There might be a little more to this than what we're hearing. I just looked at the video on Youtube and around the 2:10 point (might be different depending on which video you watch, it's near the end) you can see that the guys pants are unzipped.
That could mean anything. Based on the woman's violent disposition, it may well be a result of her clawing at him. Heck sometimes my pants may be unzipped or the like because I wear shorts underneath another pair of paints so I can so swimming or play basketball etc without having to go to a bathroom and change, I just peel layers as it were.

Simply enough, there is no smoking gun.

Even if he was getting photos of people in their bathing suits, unless they're "upskirts" or the like, she STILL has no argument. The only exception to this I know of is in TX where they have an "Improper Photography" statute that I personally (and I am not alone) think is unconstitutional, because it basically says you can't take any photos that someone else may think are sexual in nature. Sorry, but if you parade around in a bikini or real tight tank-tops or the like, you have no argument with regards to "I felt so violated" with photos that just show an "overview" as it were, even if maybe that's rude behavior. It's like calling your neighbor a curse word, it's probably not very nice or courteous, but it isn't illegal either (unless it falls under a "fighting words" statute). Even in TX, if that "overview" is mostly the atmosphere as a whole vs zoomed-in close-ups of body parts, with beach-goers being part of that overall "atmosphere," the photographer is STILL typically in the clear, as they well should be.

People's paranoia with camera guys is really getting way beyond ridiculous, as stories like this show. I can tell you I have had people throw a fit over photos I took at the lake that in fact were mostly of the lake itself, and what few people were in there were barely even recognizable, and they STILL threw a fit. That's just being irrational. Get over it, people. I'm sorry, but I don't suffer fools lightly, especially when it's something like this that keeps popping up numerous times. Anymore, I just don't have the patience for it anymore and have started telling people what morons they're being.

One guy threw a fit about my possibly taking close-ups of his aunt's rear-end even AFTER I had showed him past photographs of landscapes I had taken AS WELL as current ones and told him "that's all I am doing here as well," he STILL kept on going on, at which point I said "well I've done all I can, if you still can't get over your paranoia, there are plenty of mental institutions that would be glad to help you." Another one that kept going on was greeted with this rebuttal--"trust me, they don't make lenses with a wide enough view to include your wife's entire rear-end unless I were to take off to the moon and take a satellite picture of the entire planet." One lady screamed "stop taking pictures of my kids you pervert," I replied "don't worry, I only take photos of things that look good." (In other words, your kid is UGLY.)

If all of this sounds abrasive, it's because guys like me are really getting tired of this nonsense, and we've had enough of it. People like that lady really need to grow a brain already, or visit the psychiatric ward for their mental issues.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,416,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That could mean anything. Based on the woman's violent disposition, it may well be a result of her clawing at him. Heck sometimes my pants may be unzipped or the like because I wear shorts underneath another pair of paints so I can so swimming or play basketball etc without having to go to a bathroom and change, I just peel layers as it were.

Simply enough, there is no smoking gun.

Even if he was getting photos of people in their bathing suits, unless they're "upskirts" or the like, she STILL has no argument. The only exception to this I know of is in TX where they have an "Improper Photography" statute that I personally (and I am not alone) think is unconstitutional, because it basically says you can't take any photos that someone else may think are sexual in nature. Sorry, but if you parade around in a bikini or real tight tank-tops or the like, you have no argument with regards to "I felt so violated" with photos that just show an "overview" as it were, even if maybe that's rude behavior. It's like calling your neighbor a curse word, it's probably not very nice or courteous, but it isn't illegal either (unless it falls under a "fighting words" statute). Even in TX, if that "overview" is mostly the atmosphere as a whole vs zoomed-in close-ups of body parts, with beach-goers being part of that overall "atmosphere," the photographer is STILL typically in the clear, as they well should be.

People's paranoia with camera guys is really getting way beyond ridiculous, as stories like this show. I can tell you I have had people throw a fit over photos I took at the lake that in fact were mostly of the lake itself, and what few people were in there were barely even recognizable, and they STILL threw a fit. That's just being irrational. Get over it, people. I'm sorry, but I don't suffer fools lightly, especially when it's something like this that keeps popping up numerous times. Anymore, I just don't have the patience for it anymore and have started telling people what morons they're being.

One guy threw a fit about my possibly taking close-ups of his aunt's rear-end even AFTER I had showed him past photographs of landscapes I had taken AS WELL as current ones and told him "that's all I am doing here as well," he STILL kept on going on, at which point I said "well I've done all I can, if you still can't get over your paranoia, there are plenty of mental institutions that would be glad to help you." Another one that kept going on was greeted with this rebuttal--"trust me, they don't make lenses with a wide enough view to include your wife's entire rear-end unless I were to take off to the moon and take a satellite picture of the entire planet." One lady screamed "stop taking pictures of my kids you pervert," I replied "don't worry, I only take photos of things that look good." (In other words, your kid is UGLY.)

If all of this sounds abrasive, it's because guys like me are really getting tired of this nonsense, and we've had enough of it. People like that lady really need to grow a brain already, or visit the psychiatric ward for their mental issues.
Ok, sure there's all kinds of maybes. I did say that maybe there's more here. You've dealt with some irrational people in your life apparently, and you're tired of it. You have already decided that this woman is one of them.

What I see is a woman calling the cops on a guy (whom she calls a pervert) using a drone overlooking people on the beach with his pants unzipped. I'll withhold judgment on anyone for now.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Ok, sure there's all kinds of maybes. I did say that maybe there's more here. You've dealt with some irrational people in your life apparently, and you're tired of it. You have already decided that this woman is one of them.

What I see is a woman calling the cops on a guy (whom she calls a pervert) using a drone overlooking people on the beach with his pants unzipped. I'll withhold judgment on anyone for now.
OF COURSE she's irrational. Anyone having a conniption fit over perfectly legal photography is being completely irrational. Even IF he was up to no good via the "upskirts" route, the proper response was to call the authorities and THAT'S IT. You don't go attacking someone over that sort of thing. If someone was trying to rape someone or rob someone, okay, but this was no such thing, even IF he were doing the "upskirt" thing, and there's no evidence that he was.

There is no smoking gun here. So the guy's pants were unzipped--so what? I've had plenty of "XYZ" (examine your zipper) moments myself where I just didn't realize my fly was open, it happens all the time to guys. (You would hope it wouldn't happen during a job interview or the like, obviously.) There are no "upskirt" photos of any type that have been seen, and not even any of people in general (and if there were, so what, it's completely legal).

This story resonates not just because the behavior of this woman makes for good video sort of like what you see on "Cops" or the like, but because of other guys like me I talk to who have experienced this sort of thing themselves and, like me, are tired of it. The hatred for shutter bugs is beyond ridiculous and irrational, and people like me aren't inclined to back off, if anything we're more emboldened. I have gone so far as to walk out of a restaurant that threw a fit over me taking photos of the interior on my wife's birthday, they were nothing more than snaps to remember the day, and there weren't even any other customers in the place at all. Not only did I walk out, I told the person "why should I spend my money here if you have already decided I'm a pervert when you don't even know me and make me feel unwelcome? For all I know you're a murderer who poisons people with your cooking." We went somewhere else that didn't act the same way and even made a point to say to them that was why we now go there instead of the other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events