U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,460,664 times

Advertisements

This is for their online degrees. It's great for people who would have otherwise not attended college.

However, my concern is that people might look at the free tuition and use that as a reason to go through the ASU online program instead of another university.

Hopefully Starbucks doesn't scrap the existing tuition reimbursement program which is valid at any school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,635,893 times
Yes, the previous up to $1,000 per year tuition reimbursement program has been scrapped.

No, it isn't FREE! for all. Two years worth, for juniors and seniors. Freshman and sophomores get half. It's obviously (to me, at least) designed to encourage college drop-outs to finish their degree. And it's just as obviously (to me, at least) designed to support employee retention. 70% of their employees don't have degrees, so for many this could be a powerful draw to work for Starbucks, and to stay... maximizing the company's return on their investment in training, and motivating peak performance. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Yes, it is only for online programs at ASU, but they do have 40 degrees available for online study, and credits can be transfered from other schools. Online study isn't for everyone, but it is easier for many to fit into a varying work schedule... like Starbucks employees have.

Here, this article answers most of the questions people have asked so far.

Quote:
Free? Starbucks tuition program receives criticism
Jolie Lee, USA TODAY Network

Starbucks' announcement that it's offering a free college education to all employees has received criticism from several educational policy experts about the scope of its benefits.

The company said Monday that the program, offered to all 135,000 of its U.S. employees, would give full tuition reimbursement to employees who work at least 20 hours a week and are enrolled in Arizona State University's online program as juniors or seniors starting this fall.

Freshmen and sophomores are eligible for scholarships as well, but not full reimbursement.

Free? Starbucks tuition program receives criticism

Last edited by OpenD; 06-18-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:04 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,257,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Starbucks takes a bold stand against the weakening American Dream. They partnered with Arizona State University to provide $30,000 worth of tuition benefits for all full and part-time employees. The students will not be required to stay at Starbucks after completion.

Details found here.
They should lower the price of a standard cup-o-Joe to a buck if they can afford to offer such bennies to a simple coffee slinger. Seriously. I don't go there - Einstein Bros and MacDonalds makes a better cup at a reasonable price...and they have free refills.
Denny's has better coffee.

That little green logo means nothing to me.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:17 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many companies have tuition reimbursement. Nothing new here except maybe the fact that you are limited to online courses at ASU.
I've worked at several companies with tuition reimbursement plans. NEVER was I allowed to take any courses/major I wanted to take. The reimbursement only applied to full-time employees and subjects that were relevant to the company and to a degree program for a position useful to the company. For an example, I had a co-worker who was traveling internationally for her PR job at the Fortune 100 company where we worked. Our employer was happy to reimburse her tuition for a master's degree in International Relations. I was working toward a master of fine arts degree. They wouldn't pay for that. Some companies even require employees to remain at the company for a certain length of time after they get their degree.

It's shocking to me how many people here seem angry and/or sarcastic about something that's an improvement in the lives of thousands of people. Are we supposed to be letting the almighty free market decide what's appropriate only when the outcome is also something you personally approve of?

I don't do much business at Starbucks; to my taste I don't think the coffee is worth the prices charged. But if someone else wants to spend their money there (and I know plenty who do), THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS. Where do I get off criticizing them about what they are willing to pay for their beverages? Do you criticize drinkers who imbibe $10 cocktails at nice establishments just because they could get a cheaper drink at a dive bar? And this idea some of you have that only liberals patronize Starbucks is patently absurd. You don't think any conservatives are brand conscious and attracted to expensive establishments? Think again.

The Starbucks stores I've been in have always been clean and attractive, they give customers an opportunity to get orders to go or to sit in a nice environment to socialize or do their work. I, too, think the faux-Italian language used to describe their products is silly (although "barista" is, indeed, the internationally accepted word for someone who operates an espresso machine). But it's certainly no crazier than restaurants that dress their waitstaff up in period costumes or decorate in wacky themes.

Starbucks pays its employees a fair wage AND BENEFITS, even including domestic partners. They aren't discriminatory in the age or appearance of the people they hire and train. For a change, a company is exhibiting corporate values that benefit someone besides their management and stockholders. I applaud them.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:01 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,460,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, the previous up to $1,000 per year tuition reimbursement program has been scrapped.

No, it isn't FREE! for all. Two years worth, for juniors and seniors. Freshman and sophomores get half. It's obviously (to me, at least) designed to encourage college drop-outs to finish their degree. And it's just as obviously (to me, at least) designed to support employee retention. 70% of their employees don't have degrees, so for many this could be a powerful draw to work for Starbucks, and to stay... maximizing the company's return on their investment in training, and motivating peak performance. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Yes, it is only for online programs at ASU, but they do have 40 degrees available for online study, and credits can be transfered from other schools. Online study isn't for everyone, but it is easier for many to fit into a varying work schedule... like Starbucks employees have.

Here, this article answers most of the questions people have asked so far.
Seems like it's not a great deal overall.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,055,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Many companies have tuition reimbursement. Most employees don't use it.
Because they don't qualify. All the companies I've ever worked for only paid for tuition that pertained to your job, not one you wanted or aspired to.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Yep...Mary works that expresso machine too.

Guess when you are so use to pretentious starbucks you don't know what the real world is like. Barista is a made up word....

Made up to make the Latte Set feel good that they paid over $3 for a cup of coffee.

Mary is lovely....a bit old in the tooth...but she makes the best coffee around.
First of all, it's ESpresso - not EXpresso. Sorry, just a personal pet peeve of mine.

And isn't ALL language "made up" at some point? That's kind of how language works, as we're not exactly using the same forms of communication the early Cro-Magnons did. But "barista" is an Italian word meaning "bartender," which dates back well before Starbucks was founded. Finally, if you think Starbucks qualifies as "pretentious," you clearly haven't ever been to a TRULY nice coffee place... around here, we consider Starbucks to be about the equivalent of Olive Garden in terms of fanciness. LOL

Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,668,618 times
Haters gonna hate. I'm going to apply at Starbucks!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,066,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, it's ESpresso - not EXpresso. Sorry, just a personal pet peeve of mine.

And isn't ALL language "made up" at some point? That's kind of how language works, as we're not exactly using the same forms of communication the early Cro-Magnons did. But "barista" is an Italian word meaning "bartender," which dates back well before Starbucks was founded. Finally, if you think Starbucks qualifies as "pretentious," you clearly haven't ever been to a TRULY nice coffee place... around here, we consider Starbucks to be about the equivalent of Olive Garden in terms of fanciness. LOL
THank you for the spelling lesson...I truly and so deeply appreciate it.

So Starbucks isn't pretentious....go try to order a small coffee and see if their famed Baristas even know what you are talking about. I did it once in an airport and was asked is it a Vente Americano that you want. I said I just want a small coffee.

I'm not from the Bay Area so I guess Im just not that sophisticated for Starbucks.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
THank you for the spelling lesson...I truly and so deeply appreciate it.

So Starbucks isn't pretentious....go try to order a small coffee and see if their famed Baristas even know what you are talking about. I did it once in an airport and was asked is it a Vente Americano that you want. I said I just want a small coffee.

I'm not from the Bay Area so I guess Im just not that sophisticated for Starbucks.
I go there all the time, since it's one of the few places to eat/drink near my work - and when I order coffee, I get a small regular coffee. That's it, nothing fancy, and not once have they corrected me on it. Sometimes they'll ask what TYPE of regular coffee, and I simply answer "whatever is nice and dark."

Maybe they just act pretentious where you live, since you don't have anything better around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or