U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,543,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
So Starbucks isn't pretentious....go try to order a small coffee and see if their famed Baristas even know what you are talking about. I did it once in an airport and was asked is it a Vente Americano that you want. I said I just want a small coffee.
I'm calling BS on this statement. They might ask what type of brew you want (light, dark), but there isn't a Starbucks in the world that wouldn't understand what a "small coffee" is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:19 AM

7,241 posts, read 12,664,661 times
Quote:
THank you for the spelling lesson...I truly and so deeply appreciate it.

So Starbucks isn't pretentious....go try to order a small coffee and see if their famed Baristas even know what you are talking about. I did it once in an airport and was asked is it a Vente Americano that you want. I said I just want a small coffee.

I'm not from the Bay Area so I guess Im just not that sophisticated for Starbucks.
Your... experience doesn't even make sense.

Typically, they have a 3 black coffee setup - your dark, light and decaf... And they always list which beans they've used for the day (its how they advertise their beans). So they would have it ready as they always brew a new batch every hour... Asking for black coffee certainly isn't going to be much of a stretch. They even have a table with all the types of sugars, honey, creamer and milk.

Lastly... You asked for a small cup of coffee... And they're asking if you want the biggest cup ("Vente") of espresso/water? There's obviously some kind of misunderstanding.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,833,933 times
The only misunderstanding is I don't speak Starbuckian. Thankfully I have no desire to drink their rotten foo foo coffee

Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I wish they paid for graduate degrees. I'd get a part time job there if they paid $30k towards masters
Can't always get what you want.

While it certainly makes Starbucks an attractive place to apply, I hope people will still realize that this is a benefit and not necessarily something everyone should be entitled to.

I wonder if there'll be any caveats with it, like "employee must maintain a certain GPA" or something in order to receive the money?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,614,053 times
Quote:
THank you for the spelling lesson...I truly and so deeply appreciate it.

I'm not from the Bay Area so I guess Im just not that sophisticated for Starbucks.
Really? Because I ask for a LARGE iced americano extra ice every single morning & they know what I'm talking about. Yes, I loathe the stupid wording for their sizes as well which is why I deliberately don't use their terminology.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,614,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm calling BS on this statement. They might ask what type of brew you want (light, dark), but there isn't a Starbucks in the world that wouldn't understand what a "small coffee" is.
I have to agree with that other poster, it's happened to me when I've asked for a large. A few times the barista would say I'm sorry, what size? Or they would say my order back to me using venti instead of large. The barista's at the Starbucks I go to every morning near work don't do that though, they know me well enough to know what my order is but yes, it has personally happened at other Starbucks.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why do coffee servers need college degrees?
To become store managers, district managers and so on.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most won't take advantage of it because they've gone to or are going to college already. Even when companies used to be generous with this not too many people took advantage because they didn't want to put the energy and work into going to school. It was usually reimbursement, meaning you paid and got money back IF you passed the classes. Don't get me wrong, it's a good deal for the right people but it's not going to cost Starbucks enough money to have to raise price by even a penny. It will come out of profit, and won't hurt a bit.
True -- but I know a woman who recently graduated with a degree in a liberal arts field that didn't lead to any specific job and wasn't sure what to do with it, she worked her way through college at Starbucks and upon graduation was asked not to accept any job offer without discussing it with them, they would match any salary offer if she stayed with Starbucks. She's now moving up their career ladder and she was very happy with the salary she was able to negotiate with them. They want college degrees for their higher management.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,159,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Software engineering as an undergraduate degree?
Yes. The degree follows a specific path, while the computer science degree is more flexible to what classes you are allowed to take. I would recommend you go to ASU's website and take a look.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,905,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Seems like it's not a great deal overall.
Borderline absurd take, IMO. Until you can find me a similarly entry-level place of employment offering something better, then I'm going to continue to think this is a good-to-great offer. Does Dunkin Donuts offer full four-year scholarships to Harvard to their entire workforce? Given the current benefit-cutting climate, what more would you ask for?

As for prices...incidentally, I just returned home from Starbucks, and I paid $6.20 for a breakfast of bacon/gouda sandwich (on quality bread--the bag advertises some bakery from SF as being the provider...seeing as I've already thrown the bag out, Google tells me that the bakery chain in question is La Boulange, which Starbucks purchased for $100 mill in 2012) and "venti" (forget their usage of "barista"; if you want to criticize some aspect of Starbucks lingo as pretentious (and pointless), I'd go with the "tall/grande/venti" sizing titles) black coffee, which, given the stronger caffeine content and in my opinion better flavor than what you'd find at many competitors, is worth the $2.75 or whatever it costs on its own (not sure if prices vary regionally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or