U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,545,167 times

Advertisements

Starbucks to Raise Prices for Packaged Coffee, Other Products - WSJ

"Starbucks Corp. SBUX -0.82% said it plans to raise prices for certain packaged coffee and other products, following other big java makers in responding to a jump in raw coffee costs earlier this year that is now making its way."

Yes and Starbuck's denies they raised the prices of their products DAYS after instituting their education program, as a way to pay for it. The check is in the mail.

Typical liberal think: Give people something and let others pay for it. The masses will be happy, because MOST get something for free or for very little cost to them.

Starbuck's equals the greatest scam artists of the century. There is a sucker born every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,856,316 times
I can never understand how starbucks got as big as it has. Why would anyone want to pay that price for coffee when there are plenty of places you can get a cheaper better tasting cup.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM

25,509 posts, read 14,621,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Most companies that to do this typically have a stipulation that requires them to work for them (in this case Starbucks) for a certain amount of time. Still better than nothing I suppose.
There wasn't much of that talk when I heard about it. It doesn't mean that there isn't that stipulation. I hope more people step into it.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 PM

13,494 posts, read 15,146,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I can never understand how starbucks got as big as it has. Why would anyone want to pay that price for coffee when there are plenty of places you can get a cheaper better tasting cup.
Ever heard of McDonald's?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 PM

13,775 posts, read 8,767,983 times
What does "partnered" with ASU mean? I bet tax dollars are involved before it is all said and done.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,244,347 times
Quote:
I still don't understand why or how coffee is such a big hit. I agree though, seeing people block roads in the morning to get a 5$ coffee is interesting.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 PM

29,800 posts, read 26,871,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm truly not understanding why it's the job of a business to pay for its employees to get college degrees.

Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
It isn't the job of business to, but in their best interest. Have you seen where this country is going? Welfare for all, including businesses.

Some companies think it might be building a better community and adding workers who will be better qualified for their job interests. Also employees who are better qualified earn better salaries and thus pay more in taxes.................. a win win for the employee - the company - and the government.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,273,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Starbucks to Raise Prices for Packaged Coffee, Other Products - WSJ

"Starbucks Corp. SBUX -0.82% said it plans to raise prices for certain packaged coffee and other products, following other big java makers in responding to a jump in raw coffee costs earlier this year that is now making its way."

Yes and Starbuck's denies they raised the prices of their products DAYS after instituting their education program, as a way to pay for it. The check is in the mail.

Typical liberal think: Give people something and let others pay for it. The masses will be happy, because MOST get something for free or for very little cost to them.

Starbuck's equals the greatest scam artists of the century. There is a sucker born every minute.
1. It's evident that you don't know what you're talking about since it's been revealed how the funding structure of the educational program offer works.

2. Starbucks is a business that sells a product for a price. It does not attempt to hide the price. It's hardly a scam.

3. This is not a liberal vs conservative thing. Only liberals in the South benefit from social programs... and liberals in the North pay for it (just like the north pays for everything in this nation).

Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 AM

29,800 posts, read 26,871,666 times
This morning I heard on the news that Starbucks was going to raise their price by 20cents because of the increase of coffee beans and shipping, nothing to do with tuition.

There's nothing wrong with more well educated people in our society and this is just the first step. I hope more businesses offer educational benefits like this. Some people see the light raise themselves and others want to remain in the dark with uneducated propaganda filled nonsense.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 PM

25,509 posts, read 14,621,469 times
Quote:
Starbucks is about the experience. I rarely had it before going to a college with one. I walked in with a friend I had at the time and got a chai tea latte and was blown away by it. I rarely get them now because of the price (it was a part of the meal plan on the college campus.) However I've tried doing chai tea lattes at home with the powder but it's not the same at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What does "partnered" with ASU mean? I bet tax dollars are involved before it is all said and done.
Basically ASU is one of the schools that Starbucks is working with with this idea of offering part of the tuition to employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or