U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,224,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
A friend of my niece's had a premature baby. At the time she and her husband had no health insurance because he'd been laid off. The baby needed intensive neonatal care. The baby died anyway. The couple is now in debt for over $1 million.

In the UK they'd owe nothing.
The UK also wouldn't waste resources on a premie that won't survive, so they aren't really better off in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 PM

6,043 posts, read 3,644,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The UK also wouldn't waste resources on a premie that won't survive, so they aren't really better off in another country.
And you know that, how?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
And you know that, how?
Fox "News".

Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 PM

11,434 posts, read 7,443,434 times
How come none of this ever affected me? Or anyone I know?

I'm 69. Never had any delay in getting whatever I needed, and never met anyone else who did. One Friday we (surgeon and gastroenterologist and I) decided to take the gall bladder out.
Did it Tuesday.

I once knew an uninsured man in Texas who developed a heart problem. He was about 45, I guess.
They performed the operation; never charged him a thing.

Kid was hit by a train in our town (listening to his music). Uninsured. He barely made it, but they fixed him right up.

Youngsters are taken to La Bonheur by helicopter if it is serious enough. No charge, there.

And Mexican women are swimming the Rio Grande every day in order to have their babies free in America.

And speaking of free babies, has anyone out there ever know anyone who paid for their own baby delivery? I haven't. That's why youn lovers don't get married before the first child anymore. If you're not married, the only income that counts is hers - and she ain't working.

I'm throwing the Horse Pooky flag on this whole deal. The authors of this "study" just want the government to provide free health care. And even if it WAS free it wouldn't satisfy that group of malcontents. They've been around for 100 years (Really! Look it up!) whining about health care, and they ain't about to stop just because there is not problem.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 PM

6,043 posts, read 3,644,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I'm 69. Never had any delay in getting whatever I needed, and never met anyone else who did. One Friday we (surgeon and gastroenterologist and I) decided to take the gall bladder out.
Did it Tuesday.

I once knew an uninsured man in Texas who developed a heart problem. He was about 45, I guess.

Kid was hit by a train in our town (listening to his music). Uninsured. He barely made it, but they fixed him right up.

Youngsters are taken to La Bonheur by helicopter if it is serious enough. No charge, there.

And Mexican women are swimming the Rio Grande every day in order to have their babies free in America.

And speaking of free babies, has anyone out there ever know anyone who paid for their own baby delivery? I haven't. That's why youn lovers don't get married before the first child anymore. If you're not married, the only income that counts is hers - and she ain't working.

I'm throwing the Horse Pooky flag on this whole deal. The authors of this "study" just want the government to provide free health care. And even if it WAS free it wouldn't satisfy that group of malcontents. They've been around for 100 years (Really! Look it up!) whining about health care, and they ain't about to stop just because there is not problem.
The most naive posting that I've read lately.

Someone paid. Now who do you think that someone was? Nothing in this country is free. Nothing!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
And you know that, how?
European countries are notorious for not spending money on unsalvageable babies. The UK isn't really an exception to this. American insurance companies would do the same if they could, but they would get hit with expensive lawsuits so they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Fox "News".
Try the CDC and OECD. Why do you think there is so much variation in infant mortality rates between different countries?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,272,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The latest Commonwealth report on health care ranks the US last among 11 countries again.
The latest look at the U.S. health care system compared to other rich countries shows yet again that the United States comes in dead last.

No surprise here.

We're Last! Again! U.S. Health Care Ranks Poorly - NBC News

Really. Let's see if I can read between the lines.

1: Advocacy group develops a set of criteria that favors their agenda.
2) Then, shockingly, the country, state or city where they're trying to effect change doesn't measure up.
3) Advocacy group sends out a blistering, hyperbolic press release so everyone else can be just as outraged as they are.
4) The press, who are now little better than flacks without ability to critically parse anything at all, dutifully print the findings word for word without actually questioning the methodology and findings.
5) The ovine public swallows it whole and puts up indignant posts on a message board.

Yep. Been there, done that.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Did it Tuesday.

Baloney, there is a charge, the patient may not pay, but they still get charged. An ambulance alone will run you anywhere from $500-$2K. I don't even want to think what a medivac ride would cost.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,993,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its not really important, but I had the same injury after stepping into my window well one snowy Christmas. Mine was treated non-surgically. A painful injury, I might add.

I think the care level in this country for many medical problems is high. However, there's a certain amount of cherry-picking that goes on. For example, we might do the best job with advanced cancer treatment. Yet, another country might save or extend far more lives by having a program that concentrates on preventing heart disease by seeing that every person gets access to statins and high blood pressure medicine at no cost. We have many people in the USA who don't have free or cheap access to these drugs. Our country might do a good job at performing high risk delivery of babies. Yet, another country might do a better job preventing high risk pregnancies by providing excellent prenatal care to mothers at low cost or no cost.

Because of the ACA more people are on health insurance policies. However, more than 10% are still not insured. More importantly, many plans still have high deductibles. I don't know what your definition of "comprehensive health insurance" is, but that is not mine.

We've made progress, but we are a long way from good universal health insurance
Because of ACA we no longer have insurance. The rates got absolutely ridiculous while the deductibles also went ridiculously high. We could afford insurance before ACA.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:21 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,583,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
About ten percent of Americans don't have health insurance - for a wide variety of reasons. However, many of those qualify for government assistance in the way of Medicare or Medicaid. Some can well afford health insurance but choose not to invest in it- which is their choice (and one they will be fined for now).
There were several years while I lived in the US when I had no health insurance because income was too low to pay for it and the employers didn't provide it and we did not qualify for medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or