U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
About what?
When he warned about the military industrial complex.

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM

194 posts, read 209,103 times
Quote:
Of course not. As we cut our military, EU will spend their own money for their own defense.

U.S. Defense Spending Subsidizes European Free-Riding Welfare States | Cato Institute
You Americans can spend however much you want on your military. Suit yourselves.

We don't need to fund a bulked-out military to 'fight' non-existent wars.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,933,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
You Americans can spend however much you want on your military. Suit yourselves.

We don't need to fund a bulked-out military to 'fight' non-existent wars.
It will be my pleasure when we pull everything back, troops, bases, money, everything. And also, don't call us if you go back to what you have been doing for ages -- fight like dogs amongst yourself. And please, we don't need your merci for liberating your country, and insuring peace for 70 years, for the first time in your history.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,794,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This report is typical propaganda for universal health care.

Anyone who knows someone from Canada or England will tell you how horrible getting fast and good healthcare is in those countries.

You would wait weeks to get the same procedures you get in days here.
Funny, of all the English and Canadians I know - and I know many - I cannot recall a situation in which they have complained about their healthcare system. I can recall being asked dozens of times if it's true that visiting the emergency room costs thousands of dollars, if cancer treatments can really cost hundreds of thousands or millions, why Americans don't do something about it, etc.

I also recall many dozens of times where I've read American conservatives repeating the line that people in CDN/UK/EU/etc have to wait a billion years for inferior care and they all hate their healthcare systems.... Interesting.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,794,470 times
I broke my rib in China and went into the emergency room. I received competent care, got a packet of x-rays, medication, etc, and the total was about $160 CNY, or $25.

I used to work in a hospital in Seattle and was struck by the fact that most of the equipment was made by Welch Alleyn, Bayer, and other western companies... The x-ray machine was by Mitsubishi... My pain pills were by Novartis... My heart medication pills are by Novartis as well and cost $5 to refill... Same stuff used in the US, which we are told is so expensive that it has to contribute to our exorbitant healthcare costs.

Shameful. Utterly shameful.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,579,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Funny, of all the English and Canadians I know - and I know many - I cannot recall a situation in which they have complained about their healthcare system. I can recall being asked dozens of times if it's true that visiting the emergency room costs thousands of dollars, if cancer treatments can really cost hundreds of thousands or millions, why Americans don't do something about it, etc.

I also recall many dozens of times where I've read American conservatives repeating the line that people in CDN/UK/EU/etc have to wait a billion years for inferior care and they all hate their healthcare systems.... Interesting.
I've had the Scottish NHS for 14 years. Although I'm pretty healthy I do get checkups and exams and blood tests, etc more often because I'm 62. There's also the dentist twice a year and eye exams. However, I know a LOT of people here and have a LOT of inlaws and I've yet to hear a complaint about the service or that there are long waiting times. I'm extremely grateful to be growing old with the NHS instead of the US system.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,487,444 times
Quote:
It will be my pleasure when we pull everything back, troops, bases, money, everything. And also, don't call us if you go back to what you have been doing for ages -- fight like dogs amongst yourself. And please, we don't need your merci for liberating your country, and insuring peace for 70 years, for the first time in your history.
Cool. Are you going to close down Pine Gap too?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 AM

4,052 posts, read 2,933,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Cool. Are you going to close down Pine Gap too?
I didn't know so I looked it up. Pine Gap is a CIA facility in Australia that controls satellites.

If I absolutely could bring that facility within American Soil, I would. And let it instead stimulate the local economy in US rather than in Australia.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:48 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,086,048 times
Quote:
I didn't know so I looked it up. Pine Gap is a CIA facility in Australia that controls satellites.

If I absolutely could bring that facility within American Soil, I would. And let it instead stimulate the local economy in US rather than in Australia.
It is located there for a reason.

Pine Gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intelligence gathering.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,145,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The latest Commonwealth report on health care ranks the US last among 11 countries again.
The latest look at the U.S. health care system compared to other rich countries shows yet again that the United States comes in dead last.

No surprise here.

We're Last! Again! U.S. Health Care Ranks Poorly - NBC News
You ain't seen nothing yet! It's gonna get a whole lot worse now. Obamacare has destroyed our healthcare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or