Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Excellent post, Minervah.

Yes, as an immigrant to the US, I too, find the generosity of Americans to help even strangers pay medical bills incredible.

But that people have to raise money to pay for life-saving medical expenses by holding garage sales, car-washes, bowl-a-thons, etc, in the wealthiest nation on earth is utterly disgraceful.

Agreed.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If anyone is interested in reading a really good book about this subject as to why we do not have a universal health plan and the presidents who have tried to institute one, I recommend Jill Quadangno's "One Nation, Uninsured: Why the U.S. Has No National Health Insurance."

You can buy it from Amazon either paper back or on Kindle. I don't know if the library has it but I would think it does.

Regarding the medical industrial complex owning a city, I just recently relocated to Cleveland Ohio. You can't throw a stone without hitting a branch of the Cleveland Clinic. On the one hand I am glad they are there because they do research in a rare illness I have but on the other, I am sure the price Medicare and I will have to pay.

I am told the CC does not take all insurance programs so I had to go to a Medicare supplement plan rather than an Advantage plan which I used to have back in my previous state. That means a possible pre-existing condition clause. When I signed up for the new Plan, I had to go through an interrogation both on paper and electronically via phone as to my medical conditions which I resent very much.

I'm old, you idiot insurance company. Of course older people tend to have illnesses. Why ask if we take meds or can't get around too easily or need medical equipment? Oh sure, my answers won't affect my premiums. Yeah, and LeBron really didn't mean it when he said he's coming back to Cleveland to play for the CAVS.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
English Dave - we need you for our next President. Start packing~~~

Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
English Dave - we need you for our next President. Start packing~~~
President Dave....... trips off the tongue doesn't it?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
President Dave....... trips off the tongue doesn't it?
Too bad you have be born in the US to qualify! I'd vote for you though.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
These two articles are from Forbes Magazine and Money which are traditionally conservative publications.

Number Of Americans Without Health Insurance Falling Rapidly - Forbes

Uninsured rate plummets under Affordable Care Act | Money - WLWT Home
Forbes: "Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own." Article / Opinion was written by a well-known liberal journalist, citing other biased sources. Regardless, article really talks about Medicaid enrollments.

Money is a publication from the radical left-wing Time Inc.

Both of these sources are extremely biased. In previous pages, I actually cited a report that while 15 million people gained coverage by ACA, 30 million people have lost their Insurance. Your "source" did not mention this.

Quote:
I won't waste my breath saying the NHS is probably the greatest social advance this country ever did for it's people.
Yet, you are go on and on, and on. Your own Govt / NHS says that service levels are down, care is being rationed, and since it isn't sustainable, taxes will need to increase, while services will even be cut more. I posted a link from your own NHS.

I also posted a link previously about Switzerland doing the same thing. Another link stated that Germany is doing the same thing.

Another link I posted: Germany (and Britain to a degree) have started shipping their senior citizen into Eastern Europe and Far Asia, which is pretty inhumane, in my book.

I also posted a study that shows that European middle-income earners and low-income shoulder a much higher tax burden than American brethren for the social programs.

I also linked a study that Canadian's Income Health Gradient is higher than American. It means, the gap between rich and poor in Canada, for healthcare -- the gap is wider in Canada than US. No Canandian has yet to comment on this paradigm.

I also posted a link that Holland's King declared end of Welfare era. Not me, but the King, himself, in his Sep 2013 speech in front of the Parliament.

I also posted a Factcheck link that US Healthcare Cost Increases dropped dramatically from 2002-2012, pre ACA.

I also posted links from EU about Europe's aging / dying societies, like British for example, and EU projections for tax hikes, and service cuts, due to laws of math.

I also posted link for Danish coming up with the Age-Integrated Society, which means no longer pensions, because they can't afford it.

I also posted a link how Canadian Govt shifted their Health costs into the provinces (de-universalizing their Universal HC). They call it the Coefficient reforms, which has caused panic into Provinces, since their financial outlook is now disastrous.

My links are primarily from official Govt sources. Most people in Britain, EU, Canada, are oblivious to the facts, dire projections, to this freight train coming your way.

Pair it with the possibility of US pulling our Military dollars from Europe, which means, you Europeans now will need to also spend on your own defenses.

Ignore the picture at your own peril. Yet, you want us to be like you? Hell no!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
^^ OK Henry. That's a mighty fine list of how we're handling health in Europe. 'Hell no' you say about America being like us health care wise. Right. So what do you think needs doing to improve access to health care in America, and hopefully cut costs of insurance?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Forbes: "Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own." Article / Opinion was written by a well-known liberal journalist, citing other biased sources. Regardless, article really talks about Medicaid enrollments.

Money is a publication from the radical left-wing Time Inc.

Both of these sources are extremely biased. In previous pages, I actually cited a report that while 15 million people gained coverage by ACA, 30 million people have lost their Insurance. Your "source" did not mention this.

snipped

Ignore the picture at your own peril. Yet, you want us to be like you? Hell no!!!
No, we don't want you to be like us. Go ahead and keep being the only industrialised country (and richest) that doesn't care whether all of its citizens have health care. Go ahead and keep making the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies rich.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
^^ OK Henry. That's a mighty fine list of how we're handling health in Europe. 'Hell no' you say about America being like us health care wise. Right. So what do you think needs doing to improve access to health care in America, and hopefully cut costs of insurance?
Henry is most likely one of the lucky ones who have good health insurance. So he doesn't care what happens to those who don't. So he won't spend his time trying to think of a solution.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I wouldn't mind seeing English Dave as a member of the next President's cabinet. But remember folks, when President Bill Clinton was elected, Hillary Clinton worked very hard on a universal healthcare plan but failed to get it looked at by Congress. Well, maybe if Hillary runs in 2016........and wins.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events