U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
 
418 posts, read 401,418 times
Reputation: 306

Advertisements

I guess I'm a 10 year old then, I don't think people should die from a lack of insurance/money and the cost of meds as an example is crazy.

Why would a nasal spray be $8 OTC in the UK and $80 on script in the USA? I've bought my same meds in 4 countries, why is the USA so much more?

The list goes on. If you are at a major US hospital and need care which isn't life or death you do NOT get it. As much as I can fault the NHS they wouldn't just turn you away!

And I have had extremely long wait times in the USA too, it's not just a UK thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 AM
 
Location: England
22,443 posts, read 5,564,442 times
Reputation: 29268
My wife has just walked in after seeing her doctor with a knee problem. He says she needs to see an Orthopedic surgeon, and has made an appointment at the hospital for August 6th. As others say, waiting times are found in all systems. I don't think that's bad for a non urgent appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,594,811 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My wife has just walked in after seeing her doctor with a knee problem. He says she needs to see an Orthopedic surgeon, and has made an appointment at the hospital for August 6th. As others say, waiting times are found in all systems. I don't think that's bad for a non urgent appointment.
My husband had to see a specialist twice - not life threatening - and got an appointment both times within 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,594,811 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
I guess I'm a 10 year old then, I don't think people should die from a lack of insurance/money and the cost of meds as an example is crazy.

Why would a nasal spray be $8 OTC in the UK and $80 on script in the USA? I've bought my same meds in 4 countries, why is the USA so much more?

The list goes on. If you are at a major US hospital and need care which isn't life or death you do NOT get it. As much as I can fault the NHS they wouldn't just turn you away!

And I have had extremely long wait times in the USA too, it's not just a UK thing.
I remember the cost of a band-aid when you were in the hospital about 30 years ago being listed as $5. Probably $100 by now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM
 
418 posts, read 401,418 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My wife has just walked in after seeing her doctor with a knee problem. He says she needs to see an Orthopedic surgeon, and has made an appointment at the hospital for August 6th. As others say, waiting times are found in all systems. I don't think that's bad for a non urgent appointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
My husband had to see a specialist twice - not life threatening - and got an appointment both times within 2 weeks.

got next day appts for my child in london (was urgent) and had to wait more than once for 6+ months in the USA to see a specialist. (semi urgent)

Shortage of specialists, too many people, same issue in both countries.

I have just booked for a yearly and will be seen in 4 days, where my friend lives she has to wait 4 months, same system only about 100 miles away.

The USA is not without wait times (which some in the UK think).

We have complex medical issues, so I think a bit good judge of a system compared to someone who goes once a year for the sniffles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,594,811 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
LOL.....that's the sort of response one would expect from a ten year old.
You know a lot of 10 year olds discussing healthcare costs? Ridiculous statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Cold Springs, NV
4,576 posts, read 9,137,367 times
Reputation: 4997
I pay $906 a month for 90% coverage, and my wife had to wait 4 months for a dermatologist and had a skin cancer on her face. Insurance paid $900, and we paid $100 and she was in there 1 hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 AM
 
418 posts, read 401,418 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I remember the cost of a band-aid when you were in the hospital about 30 years ago being listed as $5. Probably $100 by now!

LOL likely!

I was very sick during my pregnancy and needed an IV of saline + zofran via the A&E/ER in the USA and UK.

I was shocked how the same visit/IV/med could be $5000, $8000, $12,000 at one hospital.

Of course in the UK it was free. Hospital was slightly more run down than a few of the above.

I did finally get covered in the USA and had 2 bills wiped clean from before, but it wasn't easy! I don't know for the life of me why a bag of saline + the few bits to deliver it and a med that is 2 quid in the UK can cost so much.

My OB was $500 a visit cash, which was a struggle. When the insurance kicked in they paid him $50 a pop. Why didn't he charge ME $50 a pop.

The OB in the UK was free of course.

Now if I HAD to pay out of pocket for the birth in the UK, the cost? 1300. $2,200 with private room. The US price they quoted was around $30,000. (simple birth 12 hour discharge excluding doctor fees) Of course they could bill me, because they deemed it "needed", how kind of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,594,811 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I pay $906 a month for 90% coverage, and my wife had to wait 4 months for a dermatologist and had a skin cancer on her face. Insurance paid $900, and we paid $100 and she was in there 1 hour.
Not surprised. Typical US rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 AM
 
418 posts, read 401,418 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You know a lot of 10 year olds discussing healthcare costs? Ridiculous statement.

Given I have 2 kids..... if I'm really 10 I think that would be most popular thread on here ever!

I can wear jeans for a 12 year old though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top