U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,577,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
What?! NHS does not know how much its system cost, service levels, its budget, but you do?

Prefer? I would never prefer a system, which puts the burden on my future and my kids. It sounds like you do.
I said I know what system I prefer. And, unfortunately, my kids live in the US and have to deal with that cra**y system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
How many years have you spent in the US living in various regions?

Don't misunderstand me, the same would apply to me if I said something about Australia "sucked" without having long term personal experience.

From MY point of view Health Care in the US is excellent, could be because I work and have excellent Health Insurance and I don't expect to get anything for FREE.
Well I know the system and the US system sucks. And nobody gets anything for FREE. We pay taxes. Taxes pay for healthcare. Simple.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,721,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Well I know the system and the US system sucks. And nobody gets anything for FREE. We pay taxes. Taxes pay for healthcare. Simple.
Have YOU PERSONALLY experience Health Care in the US ? You know what the courts call that?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Have YOU PERSONALLY experience Health Care in the US ? You know what the courts call that?
Does 48 years in the US count?

Hint: user name has Ameri as part of it.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,079,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I had the US system for 48 years, 14 years of the UK NHS. Enough time to figure out which I prefer, right, Henry?
Quote:
it would appear he had it for 48 years.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
it would appear he had it for 48 years.
She. The status which says 'traveling granny' may give a clue.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM

5,314 posts, read 2,887,975 times
Quote:
Govt PDF reports, although 200-300 pages, or more -- give a more real view. Where else can you go for these facts, stats, numbers?

News outlets, left or right, are very agenda-driven. They cherry-pick facts and numbers to serve an agenda.

Well, yes I know that government docs are among the most authoritative and reliable.

My point, though, is that if you're looking for facts and statistics within a Canadian government report that you somehow interpret as supporting an anti-UHC perspective or policy, then you would be wrong. Again, NO government in Canada, Australia, or most any European country, no matter how "conservative" their ideologies on other issues, would ever suggest terminating universal health care. First, because, even conservative governments in these countries are staunch supporters of UHC. Second, because to do so would fly in the face of those countries' most fundamental beliefs - that is, that access to basic health care IS a right for all citizens in civilized country.

That is true even in oil-rich "right-wing" Alberta, where I think you said you own property. Go ahead and ask a representative sample of Albertans (or even Alberta politicians) how they would feel about renouncing UHC in order to move to a more capitalist-based health care system like that of the US. At the very least, they will look at you like you have 10 heads.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, yes I know that government docs are among the most authoritative and reliable.

My point, though, is that if you're looking for facts and statistics within a Canadian government report that you somehow interpret as supporting an anti-UHC perspective or policy, then you would be wrong. Again, NO government in Canada, Australia, or most any European country, no matter how "conservative" their ideologies on other issues, would ever suggest terminating universal health care. First, because, even conservative governments in these countries are staunch supporters of UHC. Second, because to do so would fly in the face of those country's most fundamental beliefs - that is, that access to basic health care IS a right for all citizens in civilized country.

That is the true even in oil-rich "right-wing" Alberta, where I think you said you own property. Go ahead and ask a representative sample of Albertans (or even Alberta politicians) how they would feel about renouncing UHC in order to move to a more capitalist-based health care system like that of the US. At the very least, they will look at you like you have 10 heads.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,079,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

My point, though, is that if you're looking for facts and statistics within a Canadian government report that you somehow interpret as supporting an anti-UHC perspective or policy, then you would be wrong. Again, NO government in Canada, Australia, or most any European country, no matter how "conservative" their ideologies on other issues, would ever suggest terminating universal health care. First, because, even conservative governments in these countries are staunch supporters of UHC. Second, because to do so would fly in the face of those country's most fundamental beliefs - that is, that access to basic health care IS a right for all citizens in civilized country.

That is the true even in oil-rich "right-wing" Alberta, where I think you said you own property. Go ahead and ask a representative sample of Albertans (or even Alberta politicians) how they would feel about renouncing UHC in order to move to a more capitalist-based health care system like that of the US. At the very least, they will look at you like you have 10 heads.
Our politicians have been bought by the corporations, and the weak minded are barraged with a biased message that it is somehow good for them.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM

5,314 posts, read 2,887,975 times
Quote:
Irrelevant to our discussion.

Then tell us

1- What the Coefficient Reforms are, and why are they being done?

2- If Healthcare is Universal in Canada, why is the National Govt pushing Healthcare costs into the Provinces?

You must know that Provinces' Balance Sheet are disastrous, according again to Canadian 200-odd page report I linked to. So, can you explain to us Question 1 and 2?

I haven't seen this report, and I haven't lived in Canada for years, so I don't know what's going on. I'm sure there are both ongoing and emerging issues within the Canadian health care system that must be addressed in order to maintain its standards of care (any good system of any kind requires continued and frequent assessment).

I can assure, you, however, that renouncing UHC will NOT be on the table. No how, no way. And if you don't believe me, then that is because you simply do not understand the fundamental values in these countries and their fervent belief that the collective good must often trump individual rights.

You just don't get it. UHC, in the eyes of citizens and politicians in Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc. is more than just a right. It is part of the national moral code.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-17-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or