Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The latest Commonwealth report on health care ranks the US last among 11 countries — again.
The latest look at the U.S. health care system compared to other rich countries shows — yet again — that the United States comes in dead last.

No surprise here.

We're Last! Again! U.S. Health Care Ranks Poorly - NBC News
So Obamacare isn't helping?

Lots of people from other countries come here to get healthcare here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,531,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
One of my thoughts is that you have neighborhood clinics in lower income areas. The government could provide medical school scholarships that they'd give in exchange for 10 years of work (as an example) at these clinics for a reduced, but healthy, salary. Anybody can go into these clinics, and they will be billed based upon their income level and number of dependents. It's only "free" to those in poverty, but it's adjusted down for those of lower income levels. (Of course, if you are here illegally, you should also get deported as well). I'd be all for having tax money go toward such clinics, because it would relieve congestion in ER's and reduce the cost of illnesses due to being caught early.

I don't mind participating in such charity. I just don't want a new system where the rich still get all the best care and the middle class go to a reduced system since they can't buy there way out.
Yes -- no other country imports poverty the way the USA is doing -- we basically allow unlimited numbers of the world's poorest who who are having the most babies to come here and expect all kinds of government handouts including free health care.

Canada can offer it's citizens something but Canada doesn't allow the whole world to show up to get in on the free health care -- the USA provides completely free health care to the illegals pouring over the border and someone has to pay more in order to make up for them.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,369,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I guess for me, it boils down to this question to both of you... Now, remember the recent goings on at the VA.. Would YOU trust the US Government with your health?

I am not necessarily against single-payer healthcare in the US.. I am very against having our screwed up government attempting to run it.

An excellent question my friend and one that I need to answer.
With hardcore corruption embedded in the U.S. government for decades I find it extremely difficult to fall on the side of universal healthcare.
The VA and how it's managed and more importantly how it's mismanaged is a perfect portal in which to view the culture of corruption that has been present for years.

What do we do? We must first address our current state of government and reform it before we can even begin to expect that we could have a universal healthcare system that would be feasible for every citizen.

I need my morning coffee so that's it for now.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,815,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- no other country imports poverty the way the USA is doing -- we basically allow unlimited numbers of the world's poorest who who are having the most babies to come here and expect all kinds of government handouts including free health care.

Canada can offer it's citizens something but Canada doesn't allow the whole world to show up to get in on the free health care -- the USA provides completely free health care to the illegals pouring over the border and someone has to pay more in order to make up for them.
The part I bolded... is total BS!Nothing but Racist propaganda!

I for one, never want to see how much more my fruits and veggies would cost without the immigrants picking them,since Americans refuse to do THAT job!

And why is is that it's always ignored how many $BILLIONS immigrant workers~ both legal and illegal pay into Social Security, but will never draw SS??????

The more truthful and logical gripe for Americas citizens would be about our congress receiving free health care, free medicine for the rest of their lives! Why does their retirement plan give them so much money for a few years of "service" if you can even call what most of them do...'service'? They have the best retirement and health care plan in the world.

Why in hell do we put up with that????

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-17-2014 at 05:47 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 10,578,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

The spin that citizens in Canada are dissatisfied with their health care system is laughable.
I agree. The powers that be over our healthcare system that stand to make the most profit from the current status quo are the ones who put that spin out there.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree. The powers that be over our healthcare system that stand to make the most profit from the current status quo are the ones who put that spin out there.
You are 100% correct!

That is not rocket science,are so many Americans really that stupid that they haven't figured that out yet?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,400,571 times
Doesn't the time you wait for procedures in Canada depend on the area you are in? That's what I've heard from Canadians.

I have met Canadians that come here for care and say their system is terrible . That was puzzling to me. They said some provinces are better than others.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Doesn't the time you wait for procedures in Canada depend on the area you are in? That's what I've heard from Canadians.

I have met Canadians that come here for care and say their system is terrible . That was puzzling to me. They said some provinces are better than others.

Hmmm,and doesn't that sound like exactly the same as here in the U.S.?

My late hubby was from southeastern KY[Appalachia],and whenever we were visiting his family down there,I had told him if me or the kids ever got sick,he better never take us to a hospital there,but bring us back home to Ohio!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 AM

14,821 posts, read 11,938,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't think American health care is as bad as some claim it is. In fact, my own experiences are generally positive.

However, you can talk about all the "stories" you want. I invite you some time to do a search here on the Canada or United Kingdom forums. You'll find post after post by citizen of those countries who believe that their health care systems are terrific systems. The origin of most of the stories you hear is some commercial by the health insurance industry trying to convince Americans they don't want national health insurance.

I have also talked to citizens of those countries who are temporarily in the USA. Most of them are very supportive of their systems and emphasize again and again that simply the burden of not having to fear bankruptcy because they couldn't pay their insurance deductibles or co-pay is such an enormous relief that they will accept some delay and some diminution in quality of services.

Perhaps, the systems in other countries have major problems, but the person I would listen to is a resident of those countries, not an American who "hears all these stories".
This exactly! dont fall for it, dont let em fleece you!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,048,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

However, you can talk about all the "stories" you want. I invite you some time to do a search here on the Canada or United Kingdom forums. You'll find post after post by citizen of those countries who believe that their health care systems are terrific systems. The origin of most of the stories you hear is some commercial by the health insurance industry trying to convince Americans they don't want national health insurance.
I wish you were around last year to tell my friend in the UK that he is only "telling stories".

He was the greatest defender of the NHS. Until last summer when he was having problems breathing. Went to his doctor, who referred him to a cardiologist, who scheduled him for an angioplasty and possible stents....scheduled him 6 WEEKS after his visit. He told my friend to do nothing strenuous and to rest for the next 6 weeks. WOW...how his opinion changed about the NHS.

Of course, if you were one of the many "poor" here, you would go into the emergency room of any hospital, be admitted, and probably have surgery the next day....yep, we have it bad here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events