Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Show me where people were getting pre-emptive health care before they became a life-threatening emergency.

Which would cost more -- to have free walk-in clinics for routine health maintenance, or to have ambulances, emergency departments and intensive care units occupied by people who had no health maintenance?
One of my thoughts is that you have neighborhood clinics in lower income areas. The government could provide medical school scholarships that they'd give in exchange for 10 years of work (as an example) at these clinics for a reduced, but healthy, salary. Anybody can go into these clinics, and they will be billed based upon their income level and number of dependents. It's only "free" to those in poverty, but it's adjusted down for those of lower income levels. (Of course, if you are here illegally, you should also get deported as well). I'd be all for having tax money go toward such clinics, because it would relieve congestion in ER's and reduce the cost of illnesses due to being caught early.

I don't mind participating in such charity. I just don't want a new system where the rich still get all the best care and the middle class go to a reduced system since they can't buy there way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Most of the people who complain about health care are those who want others to pay for theirs, do little if anything to secure the necessary financial means to provide for themselves and instead live off the resources of others.

The remainder that complain are those that seek the votes of those noted above so that the misery loves company disease can be perpetuated.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,899,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Most of the people who complain about health care are those who want others to pay for theirs, do little if anything to secure the necessary financial means to provide for themselves and instead live off the resources of others.

The remainder that complain are those that seek the votes of those noted above so that the misery loves company disease can be perpetuated.
We pay for our health insurance with no help from anyone and no one in our family is running for office thank you and our healthcare system still sucks!
Guess you are a bigger expert than all these people that write these articles about how miserable our system is compared to most everyone else.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:39 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
The OP is asking for comments on improving health care! health care is not health insurance!

In the article they inserted an old speech by Obama about the ACA which is not what the article is about. This maybe confusing some of the posters.

I would like to here about how to improve health care!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,899,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The OP is asking for comments on improving health care! health care is not health insurance!

In the article they inserted an old speech by Obama about the ACA which is not what the article is about. This maybe confusing some of the posters.

I would like to here about how to improve health care!
The way to improve healthcare is do away with the "fee for service" and take the profit motive out of our health care system.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This report is typical propaganda for universal health care.

Anyone who knows someone from Canada or England will tell you how horrible getting fast and good healthcare is in those countries.

You would wait weeks to get the same procedures you get in days here.
That was not my experience living in the UK. At all.

And when I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer when I was 23 years old, those I met online with the SAME RARE DIAGNOSIS got significantly better medical care. My waits were longer than theirs often because it took that long for my insurance company to approve life-saving treatment. My insurance company would not approve the chemotherapy that friends in Canada and the UK got even though my oncologists agreed that it was my best chance at beating the cancer. They had support through treatment due to better labor laws - I had to work full time through treatment against doctor's orders and often could not fill prescriptions because I could not afford it.

Medical care in the US can be great if you can afford it - but let's face it, if you could pay $500K for treatment (as mine cost), it doesn't matter where you live. I was treated at one of the top 5 cancer hospitals in the country, likely the world. And you're right, there were wealthy people from all over the world there. They were doing much better and getting much better treatment than all those average, hardworking Americans who were watching their entire financial security slip away, even with insurance, due to a bad diagnosis.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yes, we should have universal healthcare and even extend the healthcare to illegal aliens. How inhumane are we?
What we really need to do is invite each and every enemy to come here for FREE healthcare. That way everyone would really really like us.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 PM

37,582 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The latest Commonwealth report on health care ranks the US last among 11 countries — again.
The latest look at the U.S. health care system compared to other rich countries shows — yet again — that the United States comes in dead last.

No surprise here.

We're Last! Again! U.S. Health Care Ranks Poorly - NBC News
I don't believe that study for one minute. I have heard far too many horror stories about insanely long surgery wait times, and other crap. No way would I want to switch to some of those other messes they call health care (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, specifically).

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
I doubt most people have better health coverage than I do anywhere in the world. I have excellent health insurance , access to the best hospitals and doctors, MRIs and CT scans with short wait periods. I even have access to the greatest medical facilities in the world such as the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins if I ever needed to go there. How many other people in the world have that?
The problem is some Americans don't have health coverage, but the idea that overall our health care is worse is a lot of biased rubbish.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This report is typical propaganda for universal health care.

Anyone who knows someone from Canada or England will tell you how horrible getting fast and good healthcare is in those countries.

You would wait weeks to get the same procedures you get in days here.
I love our Aussie system!! I get same-day appointments here too. Not sure what you're talking about!! US health care system sucks, pretty much like the rest of the country does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events