Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

You mean even with our beloved dictated Obamacare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Most Canadians I know hate Canadian healthcare and have nothing positive to say about it.
Most Canadians I know are quite content with their health care system.... and I ACTUALLY know a number of Canadians..... and have spent time in Canada, more than once.... the winters are awful, or I would be there more.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Bet living in Southern California you are a real expert on Canada
that was my thought, too....

Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 PM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yep, pulled them right out of my arse.

Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD) : The Lancet Oncology

Funding:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA, USA), Department of Health (London, UK), Cancer Research UK (London, UK).

And then there is the whole issue of waiting for cancer treatment only to find out that you waited too long for the treatment to be effective.

Lung cancer treatment waiting tim... [Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
Yep, the CONCORD study is the one I was thinking of too. It's six years old now, so maybe they've improved. I'll believe that when a similar study is done again.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This report is typical propaganda for universal health care.

Anyone who knows someone from Canada or England will tell you how horrible getting fast and good healthcare is in those countries.

You would wait weeks to get the same procedures you get in days here.
As someone that works in the health care industry, I can say that I feel we have the best health care in the world, but only if you have access to it. My brother's wife is from Canada and she thinks the health care in the United states is great, but that our system is a complete joke. This is pretty much how I feel too. People die of very preventable things in this country because our healthcare is not accessible to everyone. I work in PT and in many cases my patients are beyond what I can fix because they wait so long to see a doctor. These people often end up getting expensive procedures done because they didn't see a doctor until they were in a really bad place.

Last edited by lucky4life; 06-24-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Five year cancer survival rates are an attempt to forestall the blind panic that would result if the real truth were known about cancer. Do your level best not to get cancer of any kind because if you are so unfortunate as to do so, you are well and truly you know what, even if you survive. You will have a negative net worth for one thing and how much fun is that? I seriously hope that in addition to all the other fairy stories people in this thread are asking those of us with sense to take at face value that we are not also being asked to believe that cancer is not all that bad of a thing because American Medicine has it under control... ... that's not what they're doing, is it?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I pay $500 per month for my insurance, but between the deductibles and copays, etc. etc. etc. .... I can not afford needed treatment for congenital problems with my hip and knee...."

And what is your point? Do you want ME to pay for it.

While I do have empathy for you, many people have their own problems.

People have to understand, sometime in their life, that life is NOT fair.
you still pay for it. It's how insurance works.

The US Health Care is terrible. It's all about doctors and insurance companies, not about patients. It's also a LOT more expensive than the health taxes people pay in Europe and Canada.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:

Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD) : The Lancet Oncology

Funding:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA, USA), Department of Health (London, UK), Cancer Research UK (London, UK).

And then there is the whole issue of waiting for cancer treatment only to find out that you waited too long for the treatment to be effective.

Lung cancer treatment waiting tim... [Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

The early diagnosis of less aggressive forms of cancer and slow-growing tumours that would never have harmed patients during their lifetimes, as opposed to more aggressive types of cancer will lead to better statistics, so basically just try and find as many of such cases as possible through screening if you want good international statistics.

In the US there is a tendency to over diagnose cancer which may seem a strange concept but it massively skews figures in favour of the US System and enhances US Survival rates. Indeed the best way to have a high survival rate is to screen as much of the population as possible and over diagnose. Whilst in terms of cancer survival rates early diagnosis often plays a greater part in long term survival than treatments with most countries using similar drugs and treatments for the vast majority of cancers.

1.3 million overdiagnosed for breast cancer in US: study - NY Daily News

Cancer Survivor or Victim of Overdiagnosis? - New York Times

Overdiagnosis Could Be Behind Jump In Thyroid Cancer Cases : Shots - Health News : NPR

Prostate Cancer Overdiagnosis in the United States: The Dimensions Revealed

Overdiagnosis rate with lung cancer screening CT is 18% - PulmCCM

Cancer care in the U.S. versus Europe: Is more necessarily better? « Science-Based Medicine

It should also be noted that a person can die of several factors and it's up to the pathologist as to which they cite as cause of death and finally the UK has a very good cancer survival rate in terms of young people, the majority of cancers being found in the elderly and more particularly in the over 70's who are also more susceptible to complications and adverse reactions to aggressive treatments such as Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy. They are also more likely to refuse treatment and opt for palliative and hospice care, indeed the older a patient is the more likely they choose this pathway, as Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy and other such treatments can be very difficult to deal with for healthy young adults never mind the very elderly, and quality of life is an important factors for such individuals.

Furthermore the UK is around the European average for rectal cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, skin melanoma, and non-Hodgkin lymphoma, as opposed to kidney, stomach, ovarian, colon, and lung cancers where we fall below the European average, but numerous factors can play a role in such statistics including age of the patient and the point at which individuals themselves go to their local family doctor and present symptoms, more advanced cancer being harder to treat, whilst cancer can also vary in terms of how aggressively it attacks the body, and there are a host of other such factors. In order to further reduce cancer rates in the UK, a cancer strategy is in place and is regularly updated, the strategy includes new regional centres of expertise, national screening programmes, TV advertising showing symptoms as well as investment in research.

UK cancer survival rates below European average - Health News - NHS Choices

Half of all cancer patients now survive at least 10 years | Cancer Research UK

Then again the average Briton is healthier than their US Counterpart and lives longer.

BBC News - England 'healthier than the US'

BBC News - Why do Americans die younger than Britons?

Britons enjoy longer lives than Americans - Telegraph

The NHS does work closely with charities, research organisations and indeed the private sector, and in terms of waiting times, targets are 18 weeks for non-urgent operations, after which you have a right of complaint and even to seek alternative treatment including private treatment paid for by the Government.

Whilst patients diagnosed with cancer will also have the legal right to demand a consultation with an “alternative provider” if they have to wait more than a fortnight for NHS care.

Patients can demand a private hospital if they wait 18 weeks for surgery - Telegraph

Last edited by Bamford; 06-24-2014 at 04:30 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Cancer Research UK - The world's largest independent cancer research charity

Cancer Research UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cancer Research UK

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Macmillan Cancer Support

NHS - 'Be Clear on Cancer'

Knowing the signs of cancer could save your life. Be Clear on Cancer. - NHS Choices

Be Clear on Cancer campaign : Cancer Research UK

Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 AM

273 posts, read 323,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
This report is typical propaganda for universal health care.

Anyone who knows someone from Canada or England will tell you how horrible getting fast and good healthcare is in those countries.

You would wait weeks to get the same procedures you get in days here.
No. I'm Canadian and have had several surgeries. I've never had to wait more than one day. Someone is lying to you, or you're believing the right-wing propaganda. Our system is excellent. And we never have to worry about how we're going to pay for it. Our taxes pay for it.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:

Funding:

Your statistics are too old. Progress has been made since. One of them is from way back in 2000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events